Notices

Adventures in camping w/o drinking

Old 08-07-2006, 06:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Adventures in camping w/o drinking

Well I'm back after three days of camping. It was interesting in a funny kind of way. We drove up to Shuswap Lake (about a five and a half hours from Vancouver) and camped in a private camp ground.

My friend and I were surrounded by drinkers. Not just drinkers but *****s with ATVs drinking Bud. That alone deterred any anxiety I had about not drinking this weekend. Honestly the idea of getting drunk by drinking Bud or Coors Light while listening to White Snake has no appeal - even when I was drinking. If we were surrounded by people listening to ColdPlay and drinking an expensive Merlot I might have felt the pang of envy - but no this was not the case. Also the amount of people drinking first thing in the morning at the beach was fascinating as the day wore on and on a lot of them became more and more obnoxious and stupid.

So I swam, went for a few walks, read two books and hung out with my friend while getting a sunburn.

All and all a good weekend aside from being surrounded by *****s.

Glad I went. No regrets about quitting.

Next battle I take on will be quitting smoking after I see my doctor later this week. She advised me to do one thing at a time. I figure at this point I'm on a roll - quit drinking, quit the bad go no where relationship, might as well quit smoking then start training, take some dance classes, bouldering, and possibly meet some healthy people to hang out with.

Cheers!!!
Old 08-07-2006, 06:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you checked in!

Keep movimg forward...
Old 08-07-2006, 07:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats Erin. I too had a similar experience this past friday. I went out with my little sister (think 14 yrs younger and I am 38). Went to the local night club. Watched the stupidity in all of its sunken glory. Very sad. As we left the bar watched the drunken idiots at their finest squaring off in the parking lot... went to a house party after that and seen all of the drunken idiots then consuming dope ta boot. It was grand.

If that one night did not reconfirm my commitment to sobriety I don't know what could have. Perhaps it was my drunken little sister trying to make out with as many men as possible as part of some drunken bet. Perhaps it was learning later that someone I really like and have a lot of respect for was there and was so drunk she could not recall how she got there or how she got home. Perhaps it was the shear stupidity of the whole scene in general.

We age, sometimes graciously and sometimes not, for a reason. At one point in my twenties this would have been the life. What I lived for, I am so glad it is no longer what I live for. Nor is it something that I miss. Whatever glamour there was is forever gone and for that I am eternally greatful. It was so sad.

Peace, Levi
Old 08-07-2006, 07:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

I hear ya on that.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing your experience with us!
Old 08-07-2006, 08:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad your camping went well and I think every time that you get through an experience like that, you become stronger and more empowered.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm a Pickle

Im glad to hear your story. I am going camping next for Labor Day weekend and cant really imagine not drinking - but Im gonna try it! And then I can feel good all weekend too!!!!