Does gaming make you want to stay sober? - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Social Groups > Arcade Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2015, 01:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Does gaming make you want to stay sober?

Anyone else noticed this effect?

OK, in my younger days, living in a shared house, we would smoke pot together whilst playing first person shooters in an evening, but we'd also do it watching a film, eating a takeaway, basically any evening activity because we were all hooked on weed.

These days though, I tend to play marginally more strategic stuff, like Kerbal Space program, Civilisation V, Hearts of Iron , heck, even the Sims 4 (got to design those rooms right...). And the last thing I want is impairment, which would ruin enjoyment of the game. The only drug that tempts me is coffee (admittedly, not a good idea late at night!) which can help crystallise some nebulous strategy in my head into a firm plan of action / design for a dream Sims house / awesome aircraft/space vehicle.

One of my neighbours bought me 12 bottles of beer for Christmas.

Now, my issues are more one of Friends and Family/ACOA, and besides alcohol was never my DoC, but I've not drunk any for the past 4 years and think i'd rather keep things that way, I'm not a young man any more and my body certainly appreciates it.

I had one 330ml bottle on Christmas Eve, and instantly regretted it. Immediate headache, and no longer able to concentrate well enough to play the game i wanted to be playing that evening. When can I drink these beers? I don't even want to have one between finishing gaming and bedtime, since i know from experience it'll just spoil my sleep.
Liberator4EVA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Liberator4EVA For This Useful Post:
Solarion (04-27-2016)
Old 12-26-2015, 03:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Behold the power of NO

Quote:
I had one 330ml bottle on Christmas Eve, and instantly regretted it. Immediate headache,
Why would you want to drink something which will give you a headache? If that stuff is that nasty, just regift it to someone you don't like or pour it down the sink.
Opivotal (12-26-2015), Solarion (04-27-2016)
Old 12-26-2015, 03:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

There's nothing wrong with the beer, I just can't drink. Yeah I thought I should wait till at least Boxing Day before pouring a present down the sink, if i couldn't give it away first...
Liberator4EVA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Liberator4EVA For This Useful Post:
Carlotta (12-26-2015), Opivotal (12-26-2015), Solarion (04-27-2016)
Old 01-11-2016, 10:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

I never played games drunk or otherwise before, so I am definitely playing more now that I am not drinking. Fallout 4 is my everything right now lol
BobbyLight is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BobbyLight For This Useful Post:
Opivotal (01-11-2016), Solarion (04-27-2016), SparkleKitty (01-11-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 12:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Oddly enough, drinking and video games was one of my most favorite things to do. I absolutely loved it.

I use to compete professionally and before any sort of match or interview i'd have a few shots or even a few beers to calm me down because i was so amped and nervous.

I'm 4 days sober now and i'm playing games i typicaly only played while i was drinking. Oddly enough i have to relearn alot because i was actually better while i was drinking, everyone i play with has even mentioned that.

The cool thing is i'm super competitive and doing poorly only makes me want to get better, so now i have to prove to myself and everyone else i can still kick ass while sober.
Infrared is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Infrared For This Useful Post:
Opivotal (02-03-2016), Solarion (04-27-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 05:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Just a nerd

^ I'm noticing that as well. Gaming was so much easier while drinking, so you almost have to rewire your brain to play sober.

I have a feeling after that part, you actually get better, but I have no idea. I'm on day 3 or 4 ATM
DeathBox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeathBox For This Useful Post:
Opivotal (04-28-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 03:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

I used to enjoy having a drink whilst playing games. Took me a while when getting sober to even turn my PC on as I found it a trigger. I eventually got back into and found i was so much better sober! lol
Petecrab is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Petecrab For This Useful Post:
Opivotal (04-28-2016), Solarion (04-27-2016)
Old 12-29-2017, 12:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

I used to get completely sauced while I gamed, often to the point of blackout. I did ok, but I'm actually much better now. Games are a lot more fun when you can actually concentrate on it to the point where you get in the zone
Wo, oh, what I want to know, is are you kind?" ~Robert Hunter
tekink is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tekink For This Useful Post:
Opivotal (12-31-2017)
Old 01-17-2018, 05:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

I loved playing video games high but I actually became worse at playing. Eventually I started playing sober and suddenly I was really good lol. It kind of motivated me to stay sober. So I can kind of understand. I think the competitive side of me can overcome the junkie (sometimes) lol.
NClarke2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NClarke2017 For This Useful Post:
Muunray (01-26-2018), Opivotal (01-17-2018)