Notices

Celexa

Old 07-30-2006, 01:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
KC1

Celexa

I just started taking Celexa for anxiety and mild depression. Today was the second day I took it. 30 mgs. So far I am responding well to it and have no side effects. Has anyone else taken this drug and how did you do with it?

Thanks.

KC
Old 07-31-2006, 01:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi,

I myself have never been on Celexa (I've been on everything else under the sun) but I have heard of it and it's supposed to work well.

Old 07-31-2006, 01:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've taken a lot of the anti-depressants and found Celexa to have few side effects. The pharmacologist I work with said it is a neutral anti-depressant and used for the elderly a lot. He said that some anti-depressant increase energy and some have a sedative effect and Celexa is in the middle.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To Life!

I was on celexa years ago. One possible side effect is lack of sexual response and/or lack of desire. That's why it's used with the elderly often.
It's an SSRI, though, and as such works the same way as the other SSRI, preventing the reuptake of seretonin, leaving more free floating.

Shalom!
Old 07-31-2006, 11:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've recently started using it 20mgs, four weeks to be exact, first time ever using any kind of medication for depression, I was very reluctant to use any kind of meds, so happy I changed my mind, the peace and calm it's brought me. My moods are balanced now, level, I'm still in awe about that, I noticed around day 8 after taking them.....WOW is all I have to say, no more horrible lows. I hope it works well with you too.

So far so good, side effects I experienced....mild nausea (gone now) loss of appetite (still here) constipation (gone) trouble sleeping the second week, today it's a lot better. Good luck to you, it's sure worth it.
One possible side effect is lack of sexual response and/or lack of desire. That's why it's used with the elderly often.
Oh no I wonder what age they classify as the elderly??? I've noticed the sexual response lack of it, oh well to bad so sad on that part of it. I think. Stay tuned for part two :kidding:

Please let us know how it works out for you, I'd love to know.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I took Celexa about 3 years ago when I was going through a major period of stress and anxiety. I found it really helped.

I was concerned before going on it that my mood would level out to some kind of flat line -- this is a concern because my work demands that I generate creative ideas continually (advertising). I was really happy to discover it didn't have that impact at all. Instead, I found was it put a net at the bottom of my lows. In other words, I wouldn't sink as low when my something would trigger upset or negative emotions, and I was also was far less reactive.

I was on it for about 2 years, and stopped taking it as I was in a better place and have a wish to be chemical free if possible.

best
gf
Old 07-31-2006, 05:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
KC1

Thanks for all of the pssitive feedback!

I am only on Day Three of 20 mgs with a target of going to 40 mg in a few weeks and so far, so good. I do have the mild nausea (very very mild), do have the constipation and the possibility of sexual dysfunction doesn't bother me at all because I don't have sex that often anyway (much to my husband's dismay!). He is hoping that if my depression goes away, I will want sex more, but even if I do, I will probably not be able to respond. Whatever. I am tired of feeling down so it will be a small price to pay.

I think I am already starting to feel better, if that's possible after three days.

Thanks again, and I will keep everyone posted.

KC
Old 07-31-2006, 05:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
KC1

Almost forgot! I have an INCREASED appetite, so I am hoping that I will have a LOSS of appetite on the Celexa. Last night I ate an entire bag of potato chips - not like me at all! And I ate them in bed! Also not like me -- I am very "anal" about getting crumbs in the bed, on the floor, etc. I didn't care, I munched away!!!!!
Old 08-06-2006, 06:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi KC1.....how you doing today?

I was like you, I did notice a change the first couple of days, I really thought it was all in my head, it makes sense though if you've never used meds before.

So far it's still real good for me today, I sure hope it works out for you also.

I asked my Dr how long people stay on these, he said most of his patience usually a year, that's what I'm hoping for, I really don't want to have to depend on meds for peace of mind, but....also I asked him what happens when a person goes off, that part scares me, I don't want to ever feel the way I was again, he said usually things are balanced out then..so we'll see.

My depression has lifted, phew don't miss that at all, and like you so tired of the horrible on going lows, you act like everything is ok, hiding it from those who are close to you, but dying inside and some days real bad thoughts would be lurking close by....well not today. I haven't drank since I started them, woohooo for that, and don't want to, so happy to be off that ugly ride.

Anyway stop in and let us know how you're doing....oh the chip thing, hehe, I'd have a problem with that too, ONE crumb in my bed, no way I'd be having a female hormonal hissy fit...haha.

Cheering you on to feeling better.

Hugs....Denise (a saner one today)
Old 08-06-2006, 05:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Starry Girl

I'm on 20 mgs a day of Celexa. I was on 10 for one month, then the second month my Dr. bumped it to 20. After three months total I will taper down another three months, for a grand total of six months on meds.

I found an immediate effect when I first started. My insomnia started to go away. I take them at night because they made me sleepy at first. I haven't found any other side effects, but my moods are much more stable now. Like someone else said, it doesn't prevent me from being really happy, but it does help me not overreact or explode when something annoying happens.

I was really anxious about taking meds after living with an addict but I'm so glad I did. My life is better now than ever.

Thanks.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
KC1

Checking In - Week 3 has just passed

Hi - sorry for the absense. I had two people at work go out on disability and/or quit so I've been a busy lady trying to cover.

I have been feeling very good since I've been on the Celexa. I don't overreact to things the way I used to, in fact, I am almost like a "slug" these days. The doctor says this is normal until I am up to the full effects of the drug.

Example - my husband and I went out to dinner with friends on Friday night. I came home and put my PJ's on and I have not come out of them all weekend long. I have not even taken a shower, much to both HIS dismay and MINE. I just feel so lazy. I've just been putzing around the house. I did fix dinner last night and I just left all the dirty dishes right on the table. I would NEVER EVER do that. It skeeved my husband out so much that HE did the dishes.

I was bouncing off of the walls pre-Celexa, so this is a welcome change. I knew it would kick me back, but it has kicked me WAY back. Doc says not to worry unless this continues after Week 4.

For now, I feel so disgusting without a shower for two days, but I just don't care.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Celexa is what my Dr gave me when I went in for depression and I had the same result. It seemed to make a difference within just a few days. I don't recall ever having any side effects to it. I already had horrible insomnia so I was put on sleeping pills at the same time. I took celexa for 6 months or so I think. I'm not even sure, the period of time I was depressed is such a blur that I can't remember things very well. I hope it helps you like it helped me, good luck.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You might ask your dr about Lexapro - it's the newest generation of Celexa with even fewer side effects.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I have been at 40mg of Celexa for a number of years. The biggest side effect I have experienced is that I am HOT a lot of the time. Not just hot flashes like women get with menopause... it's pretty constant.

It's the only significant side effect. I wish you good luck getting your depression under control.

Cat
Old 09-25-2006, 07:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
BigSis06

Celexa

Hi I went on Selexa/Celex for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder after break up with violent drunk. It helped sooooo much. I was morbidly depressed and sobbing uncontrollably for weeks before that. It helped a lot. Unfortunately I gained alot of weight but think that was more to do with menopause and that stupid 'stress' hormone that comes with it. I have learned to embrace my chubby sweet self, buy 2 sizes bigger of clothes and bought a treadmill. To heck with it, I say. After all, there's nothing worse than a scrawny old lady right? Ha ha. Anyhoo, I'd go back on Selexa in a heartbeat. Hugs,