Notices

Highly Sensitive People (HSP)

Old 08-21-2006, 07:35 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Obsessed Pug Momma

Good Golly, every single category, every sentence, it is all me. All of it. And I thought I was alone in this. I thought it was all because of the abuse.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:20 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Smile

i have just found a book on being an HSP & it sure explains a lot about me.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:02 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
hippy

This is a really interesting post Morning Glory. I was directed here after a query I had made about connection between BP and noise/light intolerance.
I would say I fit a lot of the symptoms you have written about, but not all. I used to generally be seen as quite a confident assertive person, however inside I am quaking. In more recent times, I have been unable to put on the mask.

Childhood wounds strikes a strong chord. I often wonder why I am so sensitive to my past. I know of people who have had much worse than me happen to them, but seem less traumatised.

Spiritually. I am always searching for something that strikes me spiritually. I don’t think I could ever follow one religion but instead, I look for anything that promotes harmony and peace between humans, animals, our environment, God, the world and the next world whatever that may be.

As for not liking change! I have stayed in the same job for 13 years for fear of moving on. I have only just recently put my hands up and said “ I can’t do this anymore”

Live made a point about caffeine. I remember when studying, I used over the counter remedy for tiredness ‘Pro Plus’ it was a concentrated caffeine pill. I thought I was going to die! My heart raced so much, I was really really wired and terribly anxious. Never ever did I try those again!

There is a lot of chords in there for me Morning Glory, it is very interesting.

Thank you.

Hippy
xx
Old 08-27-2008, 02:32 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hippy, you sorta made my day....I think no one listens to me. Hubs is so hard hearing! LOL

I think with me alot of it is I was born this way...my parents call me nervous. To all who know me in real life I am an eccentric.

I remember being about 8 years old, closted by myself in my bedroom, perfectly content writing, writing, writing, and I would get in trouble for not spending time with the family.
I had a bit more tolerance for tv then (sound wise)....but I would pull the bean bag up in front of their chairs, snuggle down into it and read and ignore them and the tv. LOL

I like adventures tho, but my own kind and on my own schedule.

Anyway it was made much, much worse by traumas in early adulthood up until, well now!
Old 08-27-2008, 05:08 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
hippy

Live, I can soooo identify with all that you are saying!

My cpn (a mental health nurse) said to me that she thought I was rather eccentric and people at work have said so! I apparently come across as rather gypsy like. I find that a compliment!

Also, as a child, I would squirrel myself away and read or write. I would always write stories for homework that were about eight times longer than we had been asked to do, but I just got so carried away!

Also, I used to hide in my bedroom to get away from the noise that my drunk parents were making. I used to hide in a cupboard to try to get away from it. I was very very sensitive to the onset of noise that they were about to make, I could feel it. I believe this sensitivity has a lot to do with how I am now. I can detect a change in an atmosphere in a crowd, in a flash. My danger awareness is always on.

Hippy
xx
Old 08-27-2008, 10:39 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Wow what a fantastic thread, thank you so much Morning and all posters. We need this kind of acknowledgement. I printed the post for hubby to read, maybe will help him to understand more, not only me but himself. Thanks again my friends.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:56 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

When one of my (HSP/ Asperger Syndrome) children experienced a trauma, there was a technique that was used with this child that desensitized the overwhelmingly negative feelings that occured and actually re-trained the brain to replace the disempowered / negative thought with a empowered / "freeing" thought.

This treatment worked quickly and gave immediate relief... no prescriptions, no years-long talk therapy... and I wanted to offer it as a suggestion for a way to heal childhood wounds. The technique is called "Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprogramming (EMDR)."

When I saw how well it worked for my child, I scheduled a couple sessions for myself. I also have experienced relief from thoughts that silently created constant anxiety for decades.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:13 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
live to ride ride to live

this is so me
Old 09-04-2008, 04:54 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
things as it is

EMDR rocks!!!

It relieved many troubling post traumatic difficulties in my life. Must find a good therapist though.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:04 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I feel like this is me, except for the whole shy and introverted thing. Honestly, I'm pretty outgoing.
I do like to be alone though, for long periods of time. I need to be alone for awhile everyday. It's frustrating when your good friends and SO don't understand this.
Also, and this used to really scare me, I noticed from a young age that I would pick up people's thoughts and feelings, almost in a clairvoyant way. The older I get the less it bothers me, but it still irks me sometimes. someone told me once that it was called being "hypersensitive."
Old 03-13-2009, 05:04 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

this is amazing how much of this is soo me... the sleeping with earplugs, being happy writing and reading alone for hours, detecting people's thoughts and feelings, hearing the TV buzz..

If only we could have an HSP convention or something, I would love to meet all of you. Unfortunately, in my life I have yet to have met another person who is really HSP... and all the non-HSP people around me would just tell me my qualities are "oversensitive" or that I'm just plain crazy or weird.

Incidentally.. does anyone get any skin rashes when they are under high stress? not trying to be gross or anything..
Old 03-17-2009, 12:50 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gchen123 View Post

Incidentally.. does anyone get any skin rashes when they are under high stress? not trying to be gross or anything..
Yes, I tend to get rashes or hives when I'm either run down or feeling stressed. And I get a strange skin problem on my hands and feet where little blisters come up when I'm really panicked!

I've always had this feeling that I was somehow more sensitive to my surroundings than other people I know. I hear everything that goes on in my building and loud music or tv programmes freak me out.

I think in face-to-face situations I've always been able to pick up on people's feelings etc. Even as a kid, I remember often just knowing things that other kids would have been oblivious too-that's maybe because I didn't fit in well with kids and preferred to sit and watch adults conversations than play and shout with other children.

Lucie, I know what you mean about friend's not understanding the need for some alone time. When I shared a house with 3 other (very loud) girls they would always get at me to stop going up to my room and sit with them instead. Sometimes I'd feel I was climbing the walls as I just needed to be alone.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:49 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I'm so glad I got to read this today. I can relate to all of it and feel that 95% of it pertains to myself. For the longest time I was the only person or one of few that seemed to be going through so much of these things. It is nice knowing that I'm not alone in experiencing a majority of this.
Wes