SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Anxiety Disorders (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/anxiety-disorders/)
-   -   Prozac for anxiety? Help! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/anxiety-disorders/94867-prozac-anxiety-help.html)

VioletAntigone 05-26-2006 10:06 PM

Prozac for anxiety? Help!

I recently switched from Zoloft to Prozac, and have been taking the Prozac for about twenty days; I started out at 10 mg, and have gradually increased the dosage to 40 mg per day, as prescribed by my psychiatrist....

However, I feel a little freaked out since I started it. I am just full of nervousness, and I go back and forth being irritable and somewhat combative to feeling almost giddy. Initially, I started taking it before bed, but now I take it when I wake up.

I experience moderate but CONSTANT anxiety all day every day, particularly if I have to be around other people. My psychiatrist suggested that I bring it back down to 20 mg over the next week, and see if it improves over the next couple of weeks.

Does anyone here have experience with Prozac and anxiety disorders? Or with OCD, which comes up for me a little now and again?

Any help/suggestions/experience is tremendously appreciated!!
:eek2:

jcade 05-26-2006 10:21 PM

Prozav vs. Effexor and Klonipkin

I personally couldn't take prozac the anxiety attacks I had were so bad that I couldn't stand it. I thought I was going to die from it. I could feel my heart beating and I couldnt stand it.

The best combination is the one I am on now. I take 225 mg. of effexor and 10 mg. of klonipkin twice a day (5mg. each dose) klonipkin is a longer acting xanax but it works wonderful.

I wish you all the best and I see good days ahead for you!

Keep your chin up I know your going to make it!

Your friend,
John

VioletAntigone 05-26-2006 10:56 PM

Thank you so much John! I so appreciate the good energy you sent towards me! Have a wonderful weekend!:happysad:

jcade 05-26-2006 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by VioletAntigone
Thank you so much John! I so appreciate the good energy you sent towards me! Have a wonderful weekend!:happysad:

Remember we are all here for you!
Your friend,
John

ranae1221 05-26-2006 11:38 PM

medication, especially psychotropic medications like Prozac and Zoloft reacts differently for everyone. I personally never took Prozac, but I have taken Zoloft and had bad side effects. It can be a guessing game while they try to find the right combo of meds.

That's good you are staying in contact with your doctor about the side effects...hopefully going back down to the 20mg will help decrease the anxiety.

Hang in there!!

Live 05-26-2006 11:41 PM

I have been on Prozac and so many other meds that I didn't want to comment because we are each different chemically and what works for one is a disaster for another. It really is a trial and error process. Exasperating, but when you finally find the right mix....WOW....

Bozo 05-27-2006 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by VioletAntigone
I experience moderate but CONSTANT anxiety all day every day, particularly if I have to be around other people.

Yes! Yes! That describes me exactly! I have tried to put it into words and you have done it for me. Thank you.

Now I took Prozac for almost 8 or 9 years, but it was for depression. When suicidal thoughts started to creep in I told the doctor and I changed over to Zoloft and have been on that for about 5 years.

Zoloft helped with the OCD. I suffer from both depression and anxiety on a moderate but CONSTANT basis especially around other people.

They say there is no Magic Pill, so what does that mean? That I always have to go around sad and nervous? BS, I need help and especially relief from this friggin anxiety.

VioletAntigone 05-27-2006 07:26 AM

Thanks everyone for your responses! Bozo, I'm glad I could help you articulate what we go through daily....I am wondering, for the first, say, five years that you were on prozac, did it help with the anxiety at all? I am debating as to whether it's even worth the effort to continue with this drug; zoloft was okay, but it really did not relieve my anxiety. Feedback?

Bozo 05-27-2006 10:12 AM

I Would Have To Say

Prozac helped with depression for awhile. Zoloft helped with OCD. Zoloft has never really worked for depression. And Zoloft definitely has never helped with anxiety.

Prozac or Zoloft has never helped my anxiety.

InvisibleNobody 05-27-2006 10:04 PM

Prozac - Depression/Anxiety

Hi -

I'm also on Prozac for depression and anxiety. I started out on 20mg/day. I also was very jittery all day (or most of the day), especially around others. I did some research on it and talked with my doctor. Since I was also going through therapy (and still am going through it), my doctor decreased my meds to 10mg/day, with the understanding that if it didn't work, we'd try something else. Luckily, this decrease has worked. I'm not so jittery all the time. And when I'm with others, it isn't as intense. I know I have a long way to go, but with continued therapy, I believe that I will get better.

Guess what I'm trying to say here (in a round about way) is the same as everyone else.......everyone is different. And it just takes the right mix of things to work.

So, I wish you good luck in finding your right mix.

VioletAntigone 05-30-2006 06:08 PM

Urgghh. I just have to share that this is the WORST experience I have had so far with antidepressants. I am barely capable of doing anything, and I feel like I'm coming down from speed or acid. I have brought my dosage back down to 20 mg, but the constant fluctuation of chemicals in my brain doesn't seem to be doing me any favors. I am in recovery from drugs/alcohol, but I don't really have very many people to talk to about medication issues, so please excuse me if I'm just rambling a little bit; this feels absolutely horrible; I'm twitchy, shaky, and I can't stand to be around people right now because I just feel weird.

Thanks for listening!

BSPGirl 05-31-2006 02:51 AM

So taper the Prozac I'd say and go back to your dr telling him/her it's not working.

FriendInNeed 05-31-2006 02:25 PM

They say there is no Magic Pill, so what does that mean? That I always have to go around sad and nervous? BS, I need help and especially relief from this friggin anxiety.
I dont want to say too much about myself just now, but the comment above is EXACTLY what i have been saying!! Unfortunately however, i cant seem to get that across to people. Thanks for what u said, i am starting to realise i am not alone! I've only just started reading some the "mental health" forum and already its proved its worth to me!

melissaealy 06-02-2006 05:25 PM

I suffer from a anxiety disorder and so does my father.prozac dident help me much but it seems to really work well for my dad.Maybe with a little time your system will get used to it.Good luck.

the_undertow 06-04-2006 03:15 PM

in college i woke up 'nervous' one day and it lasted 24 hours for about 2 months. when i got to the doctor, barely, he gave me klonopin 2x and effexor. it took 6 weeks, but it worked and after a year of both medicines i was cool.

i know people think that anxiety is something we should tough out. being stressed out at work is completely different than having your body anxious 24 hours a day. i know exactly what you are going through, because i had to throw up each morning, just to calm down for an hour. i was only taking 3 classes, had $, and not a care in the world. i finally realized that depression/anxiety were real chemical imbalances because a) i had nothing to be nervous/depressed about and b) it happend to me :(

i agree, each SSRI produces different results in different people. but i promise, you WILL find the right one. lexapro for some, prozac for others - but in the interim, get that klonopin in your system so you can feel better sooner.

there may be no magic pill, but if you are overproducing adrenaline, lacking dopemine, etc...an SSRI will fix it - and make you your old self. to me, that was as good as any magic i had ever seen.

wandergrrl777 06-12-2006 11:49 PM

I just HAVE to respond to this post!!

I was once perscribed 50mg of Prozac a day for anxiety. This was a coupla' years ago and I didn't have insurance. The hospital provided my meds and prozac is one of the cheapest so that's what I got.

I mentioned this 50mg thing to my current Doc, and she thought that was VERY high and she was NOT suprised that I went into a self-mutilating freak out!

IMHO...Prozac is the WRONG drug for anxiety/panic disorders!!
Also, to go from 10 to 40mg in 20 days is OUTRAGOUS!!! That is NOT gradual at all. I would reccomend asking about lexapro, it's generally very well tolerated. It helped me a lot. (glad to be off the meds now but at the time it was needed)

If I were you, I would get a second opinion from a dif doctor. You have to be your own advocate. People make a lot of money off of these drugs, and the system is corrupt.

One last point for EVERYONE......If your doctor is ignoring your complaints about side effects, or saying it's all in your head, or rationalizing away your concerns....GO SEE A DIF DOCTOR!!! Now days their are plenty of open minded doctors who read the NEW studies on these drugs, who will listen to you, and actually HELP you.

Messing with brain chemistry is a very serious thing...we know more about outerspace than the bottom of the ocean, and we know more about the bottom of the ocean, than we do about the human mind. These drugs are a work in progress and can be EXTREMELY dangerous if perscribed irresponsibly. You deserve to be treated like a human being, not an experiment.

-Monica

Bozo 06-13-2006 02:48 AM

Excellent Post!

Originally Posted by wandergrrl777

I was once perscribed 50mg of Prozac a day for anxiety. This was a coupla' years ago and I didn't have insurance. The hospital provided my meds and prozac is one of the cheapest so that's what I got.

I mentioned this 50mg thing to my current Doc, and she thought that was VERY high and she was NOT suprised that I went into a self-mutilating freak out!

Also, to go from 10 to 40mg in 20 days is OUTRAGOUS!!! That is NOT gradual at all. I would reccomend asking about lexapro, it's generally very well tolerated. It helped me a lot. (glad to be off the meds now but at the time it was needed)

If I were you, I would get a second opinion from a dif doctor. You have to be your own advocate. People make a lot of money off of these drugs, and the system is corrupt.

One last point for EVERYONE......If your doctor is ignoring your complaints about side effects, or saying it's all in your head, or rationalizing away your concerns....GO SEE A DIF DOCTOR!!! Now days their are plenty of open minded doctors who read the NEW studies on these drugs, who will listen to you, and actually HELP you.

Messing with brain chemistry is a very serious thing...we know more about outerspace than the bottom of the ocean, and we know more about the bottom of the ocean, than we do about the human mind. These drugs are a work in progress and can be EXTREMELY dangerous if perscribed irresponsibly. You deserve to be treated like a human being, not an experiment.

-Monica

I agree 100%.

BSPGirl 06-13-2006 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by wandergrrl777

-Monica

Great post. That's what I been trying to tell my gf, too, not that she'll ever believe it. She thinks pills cure all. :hypnotize

trancedeviate 06-15-2006 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by jcade
The best combination is the one I am on now. I take 225 mg. of effexor and 10 mg. of klonipkin twice a day (5mg. each dose) klonipkin is a longer acting xanax but it works wonderful.
Your friend,
John

Hey John, I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know, but Klonopin and Xanax are both addictive. Especially for people who have already had other addictions... so be careful with them!

RJwantstolive 06-15-2006 07:50 PM

It has taken 10 years to find a combination that puts me in neutral. I'm bipolar and have depression and anxiety and Effexor and Serquel seem to be the best bet for myself.

Since I was a late teen up to now I have had dreams or nightmares every night. With or without meds I have them but with the meds that are helping me when I am awake, my dreams and nightmares increase with the meds. It is a compromise I have come to accept. There is a part of my mind that just doesn't get rest, I believe. I have not had a refreshing nights rest since I was 18. I always wake up supercharged, tense, or uneasy. Without Seroquel I will not sleep unless my body is to the point to where I have no choice and then I will fall asleep.

I was on Prozac but it drew me out, sluggish all the time. Effexor for me is like prozac without the sluggishness.

Wander makes good points. I have had doctors that wouldn't listen to me and I had to find new doctors. You know yourself better and finding a doctor that will work with you is important. The right type of meds will come over time and you will realize the ones that work.