Notices

Freaking out over meeting the psych

Old 05-04-2006, 04:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Freak, no Leash

Exclamation Freaking out over meeting the psych

I'm meeting with the psychiatrist tomorrow who does the meds at the place where I get counseling, and I'm spiraling into a panic attack over it.

For the past 10 years they were treating me for only depression. The antidepressants didn't make a dent in how nervous I feel all the time... tense... ready to fight at any given moment.. scared.. you all know what I mean. The last time I met with their in house doctor, he put me on medicine, and when I told him that my sex drive was zero, and I had gained 20 pounds, he refilled it. He would meet with me for less than 5 minutes, every 6 months, and thought he knew enough to give me meds. He was subsequently "let go" and they have a new doctor but the fear is still there.

I'm armed with info, but I don't know if I should say anything about the stuff I've read online. For example, I was diagnosed now with major depression and PTSD, but I read that PTSD and major depression affect a chemical in the brain, and you can't have both at once, because in one, it's too much of this chemical and in the other, it's not enough. Let me see if I can find the link real quick before I get confused *lol*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PTSD - look under Biology of PTSD.

So should I just do what I want to, which is print out some of this stuff so I can discuss my treatment plan with her, or is that crossing the line? My life has been on hold for 10 years, I don't want to have the wrong treatment cost me another 10.

Thanks!
Old 05-04-2006, 07:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

Talk openly and honestly with your doctor. If you do not understand something, ask over and over until you do. Absolutely go in with information. You will tell alot about the doctor by their response to your questions.
And don't be afraid to fire your doc if you are not satisfied with the results of their treatment. They are not gods. Most today, are open to having an honest dialogue with their patient. If they're not, get rid of them.

Wishing you much luck...

Shalom!
Old 07-07-2006, 03:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Blueglass - how did it go? Well I hope :-)

I'm off to see a new psychiatrist too in a week or so, for a change of meds, it's an anxiety provoking thing just going to see them in the first place I find!

I really hope you're ok :-)
Old 07-07-2006, 08:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
4/23/2006 and counting

If you have someone who is really interested in helping you (as opposed to making the staggering fees and making the pharmaceutical reps happy) he/she will be open to your knowledge and input. I'm fortunate to have gotten hooked up with a great psych in a referral-only office, and they are very committed (excuse the pun!) to getting people well. I have private insurance, but I have overheard them working dilligently to get Rx vouchers, approval from Medicaid and SSI, Health and Welfare and the like.

I guess my point is: knowlege is power. It's one thing if you go in there to dictate your doc or to second guess their training, but if you are an informed patient and present your findings in a positive, helpful way, all the better. Just this Wednesday my psych told me: smart people get help -- it's the people who choose to ignore their illness or think they can do it alone that continue to suffer.

Congratulations on making the effort to see a professional. Personally, I know it was one of the hardest things I've ever done. After the 1st visit, I felt so much more hope. Also, I think a medical doctor is a good choice for those of us who have underlying medical/biochemical issues as opposed to those who are better served by the counselling (psychology) route. I'm still a long way from being healthy, but I feel better than I did 2 months ago and have confidence that I'll get there someday.

I hope your appointment went well, and if it did not, do a bit more investigation and find someone who will be a better fit. Here are a couple of good resources:

http://www.amhca.org/

http://www.nbcc.org/

Oh, I just want to add that my psych had a psych med student interning with her, whom I saw a couple of times. She was young, innovative and very encouraging. The best part was, when I was done with my session and started writing that $125 check, she said "No charge." I guess they can't get paid for their training, so I got 3 sessions for free. Not too bad!
Old 07-15-2006, 08:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So should I just do what I want to, or is that crossing the line?

It seems your unspeakable psychiatrist is the one that has long crossed the line. Its beyond me why you still meet anyone of these traitors after 10 years of malpractice in your case.