SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Anxiety Disorders (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/anxiety-disorders/)
-   -   Panic attacks (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/anxiety-disorders/455650-panic-attacks.html)

anxiousrock 09-22-2021 01:44 AM

Panic attacks

It is almost 4am and I'm losing it right now.
i had a horrible situation at work where i felt vulnerable, and scared. Still cant get over it and i do not know how to deal with it. I feel like it might get me fired even though i feel like the victim.
my anxiety has been high lately and i had an unrelated panic attack last night too.
tonight i got sick 3 times in an hour, and no i havent been drinking.
Just need to get it off my chest.

Dee74 09-22-2021 02:48 AM

I’m sorry for whatever happened AR. Thinks always look pretty bleak in the middle of the night.
I hope things turn out better than you fear - they usually do in my experience :)

D

Astro 09-22-2021 05:52 AM

When I experience fear like that in the middle of the night I find that getting up and engaging in prayer and meditation can sometimes bring at least a little relief, or maybe I just turn on the TV for a bit and disengage from my fears, for me it's much better than laying in the dark and worrying.

I'm sorry that this happened to you, and in the end I hope it turns out well.

anxiousrock 09-22-2021 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Astro (Post 7702851)
When I experience fear like that in the middle of the night I find that getting up and engaging in prayer and meditation can sometimes bring at least a little relief, or maybe I just turn on the TV for a bit and disengage from my fears, for me it's much better than laying in the dark and worrying.

I'm sorry that this happened to you, and in the end I hope it turns out well.

thanks. I did try to combat it but in the end i couldn't. I just got up and went to work an hour early.
i managed to call the pharmacy today finally.... ordered more meds but they are not ready so I'm not sure if I'll even sleep tonight.
I'm still freaking out.

Introvrtd1 09-22-2021 05:14 PM

I totally understand how you feel….Not necessarily work related but I sometimes feel stressed out for one reason or another. I used to wake up in the middle of the night with anxiety and some panic. This was entirely due to my drinking withdrawals.

Knowing the source of our anxiety is helpful but stress can be hard to deal with. Hopefully you can resolve the issues that give you anxiety.

:c023: :c020:

Astro 09-23-2021 06:21 AM

After a few months of sobriety I found that long walks helped with easing the anxiety assuming the weather was good, but even a walk in a monsoon storm wore me out sufficiently to give me a decent nights sleep.

biminiblue 09-23-2021 06:28 AM

I have many PTSD related anxiety events. Best things I've found are distraction and movement.

First, I do 25 jumping jacks. Then I have some longish prayers I recite which redirects my thinking. Those two things always help. A poem would work if you don't know any prayers. Looking at pretty things or working with my hands helps too.

There is a young woman therapist on YouTube who has great little videos, you might like her. Search for "Therapy in a nutshell" on YouTube. She has a website too, and she also offers paid courses online.

Anna 09-23-2021 12:58 PM

AR, I'm sorry you're dealing with this.

You've gotten good advice here. When I have a panic attack, the first thing I do is to try to control my breathing. Usually I can manage to do that to some extent. Then, as Bim and Astro said, distraction is the next plan. For some reason, reading doesn't work for me, but some mindless television usually helps. Getting outside, if at all possible, is another helpful plan.

I hope you feel better and I hope things settle down at work.

Alysheba 09-24-2021 10:11 AM

A/R, so sorry. I have been the victim of terrible anxiety and panic attacks since I was a teenager. Bim has some really good advice. So sorry you are going through this. It's terrible. Sending love and prayers. xxoo

anxiousrock 09-30-2021 10:05 PM

Them you I'm still suffering but even worse tonight.
doctor hasn't prescribed more benzo so I have no relief at all. I'm just sick and shaking and crying and feel like I need to go to urgent care to get something.
Where I am is not functional or sustainable.

Astro 10-01-2021 06:18 AM

I'm sorry you're hurting like this, AR, and yes I think it's a good idea to seek help from Urgent Care, I hope you find some relief.

Alysheba 10-01-2021 08:53 AM

Yes, I agree with Astro. You should go to ER or urgent care. You poor thing. Sending prayers to ease your pain and panic. :hug:

anxiousrock 10-02-2021 07:46 PM

Thanks all. I didn't get any sleep at all, worked too much, binge ate, and just couldn't function. I have a whole day off tomorrow. Will try to make my fiance a lovely dinner and just try to do normal things.

anxiousrock 10-06-2021 04:40 AM

Basically an update. I am still having panic attacks basically daily, if not more than once.
I can't function well and I just feel like I'm losing my mind. I secured 2 weeks off work, starting in 2.5 weeks and I am hoping that will help me.

Astro 10-06-2021 05:48 AM

I was having anxiety attacks in early sobriety, I would say almost daily, and even an EKG revealed nothing wrong with my heart or anything else. I took a leave of absence from work thinking it would help, when in fact it just gave me added time to dwell on the wreckage of my past that I had to begin the process of cleaning up through work in recovery. Nothing helped other than actively working a program of recovery and learning the beginnings of a spiritual life, I found that abstinence only goes so far. "Putting the plug in the jug" was just the beginning, then begins a lifetime of putting the tools we learn into action to say sober and live a satisfying life.

anxiousrock 10-06-2021 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Astro (Post 7709556)
I was having anxiety attacks in early sobriety, I would say almost daily, and even an EKG revealed nothing wrong with my heart or anything else. I took a leave of absence from work thinking it would help, when in fact it just gave me added time to dwell on the wreckage of my past that I had to begin the process of cleaning up through work in recovery. Nothing helped other than actively working a program of recovery and learning the beginnings of a spiritual life, I found that abstinence only goes so far. "Putting the plug in the jug" was just the beginning, then begins a lifetime of putting the tools we learn into action to say sober and live a satisfying life.

well I was having panic attacks before drinking, during drinking after drinking all the time.
After 3 different attempts at groups, I will not be going to AA any longer as I do not feel welcome or accepted in any way.
I have tried reaching out to OA, and smart recovery but it seems they do not operate here.
at the end of the day I just want to get rid of my anxiety and stop drinking.
I can control my body but not my mind, so I guess I'm just going to work on that.

Vik88 11-11-2021 07:27 AM

I know it's been a while since the last post but i think and hope it would be ok for me to post on this. my own problem with anxiety has been since my teens and ocd showed up around then. (around 14 years old). i've gotten sertralin these last couple of years when i got panic attacks. it happened after i got an F before the test was even done at the college i was going to. The teacher explained it as thats how they did it.

So i had to show up and talk to him about it, shortly after that i got ptsd. i might have offended him the first day when new students had a thing at the bar and he showed up. i told him he used to have a neat hairstyle (a bit old fashioned), instead of the one he has now, I guess he saw that as me being negative. i don't know, i didn't mean it as something bad. Can you get sertralin Samantha? it works great for me. You must remember though and let it sit for a while that the anxiety will subside after a while. You have your partner to help you calm down those times when you're feeling stressed out? I try to think myself that it will always subside.. the worst thing i can do is to let it get the best of me.

Alysheba 11-21-2021 08:36 AM

I've been waking up kind of panicky. I always do, but since my mom got really hurt so soon after her broken foot, it really has me reeling. I'm trying not to have panic attacks, but they just come sometimes. I'll tell myself, I'm just panicking, I won't die, I will get through this with God's help and when I tell myself what it is, I'll be ok, sometimes I'll feel a little better.
But life does throw us some curve balls and we have to deal with it.
Love and peace to you. :grouphug: ☮