Notices

Anxiety and Hungover

Old 07-11-2018, 03:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety and Hungover

Hi, my anxiety is over the roof.
I binged drinking on monday and it is still wednesday and I am so sick.
My anxiety wont go away... feels hard to breathe and my heart is super fast
I have my Ativan but I dont want to depend on them. I really only take them when i have a job interview to calm the nerves
I am so tired Its like my mind is so scared to sleep but I look and feel like a zombie
Old 07-11-2018, 05:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Your symptoms are very familiar to me from my first couple weeks of sobriety, my anxiety wouldn't quit at first but as I abstained from drinking they lessened and eventually stopped. I believe that if I picked up again they would have returned.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Astro View Post
Your symptoms are very familiar to me from my first couple weeks of sobriety, my anxiety wouldn't quit at first but as I abstained from drinking they lessened and eventually stopped. I believe that if I picked up again they would have returned.
When I had quit my anxiety was very less and much more to control by keeping busy or talking myself down or breathing exercises. But I definitely cant do any of that when I am hungover. Just want it to stop so I can finally sleep
Old 07-11-2018, 07:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Alcohol for sure sets off anxiety likely nothing else. A few hours of "fun" followed by days of hell. It's just not worth it.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Mistakes, I completely know this feeling. I always get the mental and physical symptoms of anxiety after a relapse binge; inability to focus, feelings of dread, physical tremors, racing heart, agonizing restlessness... it’s absolute hell. I take it this isn’t your first binge, so you know it will pass.

Something you might try is writing down exactly the way you feel right now so that you can read it the next time you consider picking up a drink. I started doing that before I stopped, and kept the small notebook in my purse at all times. Any time I thought about stopping at a liquor store or having “one drink” with friends or colleagues, I forced myself to read some passages. The torture is palpable in my writing. It’s not a full solution on its own, but it’s part of my plan

Good luck to you, and get back on the horse!
Old 07-11-2018, 07:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I felt so anxious the day after drinking, so I drank to relieve the anxiety. Even knowing the anxiety would be back the day after.

My anxiety got a lot better after I'd been sober for a while. At around 4 to 6 months sober I noticed the difference.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Mistakes,

I had posted in your previous thead....sorry your still feeling so bad.

Have you tried just doing some self care? Maybe try to put the whole relapse on the back burner, for tonight.

A nice hot bubble bath, soothing music, a candle...
These things will all relax you, naturally.

Then tomorrow, you can face this with a sense of calmness and clarity.

Take care,
WF
Old 07-11-2018, 08:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

You are correct to be VERY careful with the ativan. I ended up on klonopin to stop drinking and ended up addicted to THAT...which was a FAR worse withdrawal. With PAWS.

My experience is that the post WD anxiety gets easier over time if you stop completely. Benzos are a great tool for detox, but I cannot be trusted with them, I had to do an inpatient detox largely for this reason.

YMMV.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
You are correct to be VERY careful with the ativan. I ended up on klonopin to stop drinking and ended up addicted to THAT...which was a FAR worse withdrawal. With PAWS.

My experience is that the post WD anxiety gets easier over time if you stop completely. Benzos are a great tool for detox, but I cannot be trusted with them, I had to do an inpatient detox largely for this reason.

YMMV.
yes i agree....ativan feels terrific but when it wears off i feel terrible

going thru a few nights of discomfort was worth the effort of rewarding sleep and no anxiety afterwards
Old 07-20-2018, 11:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I had terrible anxiety from withdrawals, self medicated to fix it, vicious terrible nightmare cycle. Im 4 months sober and making a bit of progress at conquering my anxiety and panic disorder. The sooner you quit drinking the quicker you can begin recovering.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've been in your situation. I promise you that it will pass. I became completely unhinged with anxiety and nervousness for a couple days after a binge. Remember the way you feel and it will give you strength to stay sober.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by romeoandjuliet View Post
I've been in your situation. I promise you that it will pass. I became completely unhinged with anxiety and nervousness for a couple days after a binge. Remember the way you feel and it will give you strength to stay sober.
Thank you for your reply. Its has been a few months and I am back to feeling this way. I always forget how horrible it is to feel the next days after a binge and been continuing it. I have reached out to my family and a friend to help me stay on the path. Just feel so much anxiety right now and depression.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I know it's been some tea but just came across this thread. Please know that you are not alone in this. I, too, go through terrible anxiety and depression when I drink and then stop only to start again once I feel better. It is the definition of insanity
Old 05-09-2019, 06:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forward12 View Post
Alcohol for sure sets off anxiety likely nothing else. A few hours of "fun" followed by days of hell. It's just not worth it.
It took my years to make that connection. I thought I had a bad anxiety problem even when I was a casual or social drinker. I used it as a crutch to cover up the anxiety. I had no idea I was actually causing the anxiety. No clue how it took me so long to figure it out.

The first time I finally got sober, I was amazed that there wasn't one bit of anxiety once the withdrawals were over and I only felt better as time went on.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VigilanceNow View Post
Hi Mistakes, I completely know this feeling. I always get the mental and physical symptoms of anxiety after a relapse binge; inability to focus, feelings of dread, physical tremors, racing heart, agonizing restlessness... it’s absolute hell. I take it this isn’t your first binge, so you know it will pass.

Something you might try is writing down exactly the way you feel right now so that you can read it the next time you consider picking up a drink. I started doing that before I stopped, and kept the small notebook in my purse at all times. Any time I thought about stopping at a liquor store or having “one drink” with friends or colleagues, I forced myself to read some passages. The torture is palpable in my writing. It’s not a full solution on its own, but it’s part of my plan

Good luck to you, and get back on the horse!
I think that’s a great idea. I started doing this in the last week. Just to remind myself how utterly desperate I felt, all the awful feelings, the sweats shakes paranoia! I keep going back to read it, every time I feel like a drink.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by goodbyeevan View Post
I had terrible anxiety from withdrawals, self medicated to fix it, vicious terrible nightmare cycle. Im 4 months sober and making a bit of progress at conquering my anxiety and panic disorder. The sooner you quit drinking the quicker you can begin recovering.
Been there, too. Right now I'm frightened to leave the house due to my fear of having a heart attack.

Originally Posted by Scramm View Post
I know it's been some tea but just came across this thread. Please know that you are not alone in this. I, too, go through terrible anxiety and depression when I drink and then stop only to start again once I feel better. It is the definition of insanity
Me too. I wrote a poem called Alcoholic Insanity about twenty years ago, which ended 'I must be insane, because the cycle starts again'.

Originally Posted by abgator View Post
It took my years to make that connection. I thought I had a bad anxiety problem even when I was a casual or social drinker. I used it as a crutch to cover up the anxiety. I had no idea I was actually causing the anxiety. No clue how it took me so long to figure it out.

The first time I finally got sober, I was amazed that there wasn't one bit of anxiety once the withdrawals were over and I only felt better as time went on.
Glad to hear it. I desperately need some peace.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Auchie, I'm glad you're posting and sharing these thoughts
Old 11-21-2019, 09:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I do have an anxiety disorder, but when I was drinking, it was out of control. Terrifying anxiety after drinking. I think it's what mainly made me stop. All I have to do is remember those mornings and the way I would have horrible anxiety for a day or two.
Best to you. I understand and it will get better. A lot better. ODAAT ♥♥♥