Notices

Anxiety, Sobriety, and the Autism Spectrum

Old 10-16-2019, 06:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety, Sobriety, and the Autism Spectrum

Hi guys! I am now 91 days sober. In January 2019, I was diagnosed with being high-functioning on the Autism spectrum (formerly called "Aspergers"). I just turned 30 years old. I am a female.

To say I am frustrated is an understatement.

I have anxiety. I also have sensory issues, which aggravates my anxiety. I attend a number of AA meetings whose members are very understanding and "wave" instead of "clap" their hands when I speak.

I wish anti-anxiety medication were an option for me. I am told I am too "intelligent" to be truly autistic. I am very sensitive to medication.

So, 91 days in...meditation helps. I wear ear plugs in public. I got rid of my wardrobe and now have clothes that "feel" good.

Are any of you on the spectrum? If not...do you have "issues" with sounds and/or fabric? Thanks!
Old 10-16-2019, 07:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi aspiringwriter,

My son was just diagnosed HFA with severe anxiety. The dr ended up doing genetic testing in order to match him to the correct anxiety medicine. He too is very sensitive to medications and had a very bad run in with one in the past.

I hope you can find something that helps your anxiety - comfy, sensory friendly clothes are a good start.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My son fits your description and he was diagnosed with Sensory Processing Disorder. The seams of his clothes set him off so did loud noises, crowded rooms. Food was an interesting issue where we just thought he didn't like our cooking and when we found out about his disorder it was how the food felt in his mouth not the taste he didn't like. So we helped him make choices and adjustments and today he is healthy, happy and very successful in college. Happy ending for all.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm the same age as you, OP. I used to have the sensory-overload issues up until I was about 15, and from then on it was just extreme anxiety which has never (and will probably never) go away.

I've been diagnosed as HFA once in my life, but most professionals disagree with this diagnosis entirely, so I don't really know anymore. There's definitely a wealth of documented comorbidity between HFA, severe anxiety and alcoholism - check out a few articles on Google Scholar and you'll be shocked.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Welcome to SR Splatterhouse!