Notices

I wonder..

Old 10-14-2020, 09:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I wonder..

I'm just wondering. Is anxiety a symptom of ADHD. I was just diagnosed with ADHD predominantly inattentive subtype and I'm wondering if I have both GAD and ADHD or if it could just be ADHD and anxiety as a symptom. Just asking for experience and opinions, no medical advice.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

In the past I've been "diagnosed" with ADHD, anxiety, depression, bipolar, GAD, etc.

My suggestion is to stay sober and give it at least one year before you accept any of those diagnoses and really try to work on each of your current issues, like anxiety. Mental health/psychiatry is more art than science and a lot of mental health "professionals" are projecting their own experiences. I guess your prescribing person would be the one to ask about your question, though I really take what they all say with a huge grain of salt. They see me for a couple hours and think they've got the whole picture, and they don't.

I no longer take any medications and my symptoms have disappeared with sober time. My body and mind are now working as designed. A bit of anxiety, but c'mon, the whole world is anxious right now.

Be careful about labeling yourself in early sobriety. . .or in my opinion, ever. Lots of "feelings" are typical of the Human Condition and don't require ongoing long-term therapy or medication.
Old 10-14-2020, 12:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
In the past I've been "diagnosed" with ADHD, anxiety, depression, bipolar, GAD, etc.

My suggestion is to stay sober and give it at least one year before you accept any of those diagnoses and really try to work on each of your current issues, like anxiety. Mental health/psychiatry is more art than science and a lot of mental health "professionals" are projecting their own experiences. I guess your prescribing person would be the one to ask about your question, though I really take what they all say with a huge grain of salt. They see me for a couple hours and think they've got the whole picture, and they don't.

I no longer take any medications and my symptoms have disappeared with sober time. My body and mind are now working as designed. A bit of anxiety, but c'mon, the whole world is anxious right now.

Be careful about labeling yourself in early sobriety. . .or in my opinion, ever. Lots of "feelings" are typical of the Human Condition and don't require ongoing long-term therapy or medication.
Thank you so much for this. I do know I definitely have some ADHD because I've got the symptoms and have had them since childhood. I'm trying not to label myself because I realize I am still only 4 months in but part of early sobriety for me is questioning everything, including my sanity and then coming here to question everyone to death lol. I do hope it gets better.