Life after a nervous breakdown! - Page 4 - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2020, 06:15 PM   #61 (permalink)

Sorry I missed seeing your last posts.

Tomorrow is psych day, I hope it goes really well for you.

I hope also that maybe you did get to the doctor? If not maybe the psychiatrist can give you some guidance and help there.

As for the outstanding bill at the GP, I wouldn't worry about it at all, I'm sure if they care they will ask you to pay when you arrive there.
trailmix is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trailmix For This Useful Post:
Astro (01-14-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 09:06 PM   #62 (permalink)

I did go to the appointment yesterday it was good, She's a counselor not a psychiatrist and a I do have an appointment with her next Tuesday and also an appointment with a psychiatrist after that. She did mention medications and that she wanted me to talk to the prescriber. I'm open to some medications but I don't want anything to do with any antidepressants.

​​​​​She she was good to talk to. I had a lot to say not enough time to say everything I wanted to say. I told her there was things I wanted to mention that I forgot and she said to write them down which is a good idea actually. She wants me to make an appointment with my doctor and she wasn't worried about the $35 either. she was talking about some kind of therapy called EMDR, but I honestly think a person my age is too old to be mentally trained by these kinds of therapies.

And I'm just worried about how much it's going to cost. I need to call the office over there and just ask them but I feel funny doing that too. I know it sounds weird but it's part of the social anxiety I think. But I think social security covers 80% so that 20% can add up quick.

I still haven't called the doctor I went to before I actually seen him for quite a few years maybe since 2000 not exactly sure. I always liked him good personality.

I kind of feel funny calling a doctor's office anyways because of owing money. I I was thinking I could just pay it off but if I do that and call it's going to look even more funny so I have no choice but to just call and make an appointment if I can get myself to do that. Sometimes I really want to and sometimes I don't once I make an appointment it'll just be constant anxiety. I know that the doctor and the dentist are two things I really need to take care of.

Last edited by daveycrockett; 01-15-2020 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Spelling
daveycrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daveycrockett For This Useful Post:
Astro (01-16-2020), trailmix (01-15-2020)
Old 01-16-2020, 09:03 AM   #63 (permalink)

This is a really good start don't you think?

A year ago you were struggling to leave the house, now you have made an appointment with a counsellor and gone and seen her! That's a huge step in the right direction.

As for the Doctor, again, we can get so inside our heads that we think the Dr's office (or whomever) has been thinking about our unpaid bill (or whatever). The truth is it's long been written off and no one cares!

Just as the counsellor said.

Absolute worse case scenario, when you call to make the appt. they will say oh Mr. Crockett I see you owe $35.00 here. Then you just say I'll pay that when I get there, sorry. Yes, it's that easy.

If you have to make an appt. for your Dr. (as in they don't accept walk-ins) just do it and see how you feel on the day (ensuring they don't charge for cancellations). If you can't go, give them a call and reschedule.

Anyway, this is great progress and I hope you are seeing that.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:48 PM   #64 (permalink)
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I think it's a fantastic start, a giant leap really, and I'm happy to hear you took action and moved forward on this. I look forward to hearing more about your progress, keep it up!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming---*WOW-What a ride*!"
Astro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Astro For This Useful Post:
trailmix (01-16-2020)
Old 02-13-2020, 07:42 PM   #65 (permalink)

I went to the first appointment as you know but I didn't go to the second appointments. I found out I have to pay the first $208 out of my pocket and then I have to pay 20% of each visit to them. I'm desperately trying to save money and I'm not going to pay $30 every time I walk in there. And it would have been $60 at least for both appointments.

At my age I'm so set in my ways that nothing can really help. The counselor just talked to me and convince me that I needed to call the doctor and that's exactly what everybody here was doing. Same advice only I get to talk in person and pay them. Maybe I sound like a jerk I'm an idiot but I can't justify it because I am the most frugal I've ever been and I've always been frugal.

Anyways it's the same old story with me. I'm not feeling good especially my breathing is bad. I just can't make myself go to a doctor or anything because the phobia just prevents me. I know it's stupid but that's the way it is I don't know.
daveycrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:19 PM   #66 (permalink)
Just livin' the dream

There is nothing wrong with being frugal, but this is your health. If they can help you, then it is worth the money. Sixty dollars for two doctor appointments is not that much at all, especially when the alternative is to suffer.

Quote:
The counselor just talked to me and convince me that I needed to call the doctor and that's exactly what everybody here was doing. Same advice only I get to talk in person and pay them.
True, but they can help you medically where we cannot. Our advice and support may be free, but that's as far as it goes. We don't have the ability to help make you well.

Not long ago you were complaining that you couldn't even get a doctor appointment, and now you have doctors willing to see you but you won't go.

"We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words."
- Anna Sewell
suki44883 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to suki44883 For This Useful Post:
Astro (02-14-2020), Dee74 (02-14-2020), trailmix (02-13-2020)
Old 02-13-2020, 11:52 PM   #67 (permalink)

Of course you can be helped. What if the psychiatrist were able to help you enough to where you felt confident enough to go see a doctor? Just see one, no tests or anything, just see one and talk to them.

What if he were able to prescribe some anti anxiety medication, just a few pills, not a full blown prescription (if you don't want that) so that you could actually curb your anxiety enough to go see a doctor. Did you suggest that to him?

What if he could prescribe oxygen for you to be delivered to your house regularly?

These are simple things that you might get from your 30 dollars each visit investment, wouldn't the peace of mind of knowing you are going in the right direction be worth that - just for that alone?

As Suki said, we can give you our best advice but we can't actually help you make that jump, the psychiatrist may be able to give you that help.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trailmix For This Useful Post:
Astro (02-14-2020), Dee74 (02-14-2020)
Old 02-14-2020, 05:51 AM   #68 (permalink)
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I'm really tight with money myself, I do understand. This past weekend though I somehow injured my shoulder, the pain was intense, so I had to pay a visit to the doctor and also pay for a prescription. The result though is that I can get some sleep without the shooting nerve pains and I'm healing and mending. Worth every penny to have some resolution, and it gives me the ability to make income which covers those medical expenses. Make sense?

You took a huge step in going to the doctor, I hope you'll consider the benefits and continue going.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming---*WOW-What a ride*!"
Astro is offline   Reply With Quote