SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Anxiety Disorders (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/anxiety-disorders/)
-   -   Around and around (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/anxiety-disorders/428726-around-around.html)

Porcetta 06-11-2018 12:53 AM

Around and around

.... and still no fix

After some input from others suffering from Anxiety (mines 'severe' social with agoraphobia).

Medication wise, what had worked for you? -Like, actually made a big change. Ive worked my way through the ssri family, beta blockers but not real reprieve.

Adding cbt & increased exercise into the mix but need to sort this this troublesome corner of the triangle

Forward12 06-11-2018 08:57 AM

I also have bad anxiety with agoraphobia and have been through quite a few meds, and with so many on the market, it can take a long time to find what works. Though I started seeing a new therapist the other week who mentioned meds are usually only 20-30% of the picture, with therapy and coping techniques being where the rest comes in.

jokerssoul69 06-11-2018 04:47 PM

I agree with Forward12. Meds are not the cure-all. I take Celexa. It definitely takes the edge off, but with therapy and coping mechanisms, my anxiety is more manageable.

I also journal. I do it nightly. I am learning to be completely brutally honest in my journal. I trust that no one in my home will read it, and if they do, it's on them.

Just know you aren't alone! Hope you find what works for you soon. I know the pain.

Porcetta 06-11-2018 04:59 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Well aware meds aren't the cure all but want any advantage I can get over my Anxiety!!

biminiblue 06-11-2018 05:08 PM

Meditation and prayer.

Anna 06-11-2018 05:43 PM

I struggle with anxiety too. I take amitriptyline for depression and it is supposed to help with anxiety. It does help somewhat, but I have to do more to manage things. There are some books that have really helped me:

Amen, Daniel Change Your Brain, Change Your Life
Bassett, Lucinda From Panic to Power
Burns, David MD When Panic Attacks
Chodron, Pema The Places that Scare You
Doidge, Norman MD The Brain that Changes Itself
Dyer, Wayne Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life
Orsilla, Ken Mindful Way Through Anxiety

Forward12 06-11-2018 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Porcetta (Post 6923907)
Thanks for the replies.

Well aware meds aren't the cure all but want any advantage I can get over my Anxiety!!

We all wish there was an easy way out, that's why many (i'm assuming) yourself turned to alcohol. I made the same horrific mistake.
Life isn't easy, especially with a mental health disorder. The only way to get things better is with hard work to make it happen.

Porcetta 06-14-2018 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Anna (Post 6923947)
I struggle with anxiety too. I take amitriptyline for depression and it is supposed to help with anxiety.

Had AMI for nerve pain but made me feel like 🤤

timm84 06-14-2018 08:41 PM

Hey again, you know I'm sort-of in the same boat.

My anxiety has been so persistent since I stopped drinking that when I had a calm moment of clarity today it actually made me anxious again.

Today I worked out very hard at the gym, then dipped in the hot tub, took a long shower alternating cold/heat and meditated the whole time, very zoned in. By the end of it, I felt completely relaxed and a bit sleepy. It's been so long since I had any real relief that I assumed something must be going wrong with me physically again - that I was going to faint or had a serious chemical or vitamin imbalance or something. I was probably only dehydrated.

Anyway - I know sometimes it helps me just to really know that other people are going through the same things. You are NOT in the least bit alone in this world or in your condition.

Porcetta 06-14-2018 09:06 PM

Thanks Tim, nice to hear you had some time to yourself that was free-ish from Anxiety. Go endorphins!

Porcetta 06-24-2018 10:04 PM

Been switched to Remeron and fast release propranalol - fingers crossed

SoberCAH 07-01-2018 11:58 AM

Remeron certainly helps me if I think I need it (usually no more than once or twice a week).

Keep us posted, Porcetta.

Porcetta 07-02-2018 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by SoberCAH (Post 6942626)
Remeron certainly helps me if I think I need it (usually no more than once or twice a week).
Keep us posted, Porcetta.

Thanks soberCAH :)

Have had amitriptyline added into the mix for another issue so now I don't know if I'm Arthur or Martha !@

SoberCAH 07-03-2018 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Porcetta (Post 6943828)
Thanks soberCAH :)

Have had amitriptyline added into the mix for another issue so now I don't know if I'm Arthur or Martha !@

Very funny.

Porcetta 07-08-2018 06:52 PM

Remeron experience so far:

crazy dreams
anger ++
hungry ++

general hungover feeling