Notices

Please offer some advice.

Old 09-28-2018, 12:13 PM
  # 241 (permalink)  

Totally agree about the vitamins.

You really aren't back where you were all those weeks ago you know. You have cleaned up, you have been on outings, you have started eating even though it's hard right now.

You've been out and talked to people, addressed your housing/tax issues and sold your truck.

Those are HUGE strides forward. Sometimes you will take a few steps back, oh well, don't let that stop your progress, go back to what was working, do try to get outside in the sunshine a bit, do try to walk, even if it's at night so that you don't run in to people.

Do get cable or at the very least a trial of netflix, get yourself some entertainment! You know you can buy a chromecast to cast netflix (or anything) from your phone to your TV, might not even need chromecast depending on your TV but it's a cheap and easy way to cast from your phone for sure. So easy to set up, just plugs in to an HDMI port on your tv.
Old 09-28-2018, 02:58 PM
  # 242 (permalink)  

THE POINT
Rhode Island's Aging and Disability Resource Center
50 Valley Street
Providence, RI 02909
Phone: 401-462-4444 ( Main Number)

Home & Community Care:
401-462-0570

Main Number:
401-462-3000

To obtain a more complete listing, call the Department of Elderly Affairs Customer Information Referral and Assistance unit

at 401-462-3000 and ask for the Packet Manual of Elder Services.

I don't know if any of this will help, but it's a place to start! Praying for you!
Old 09-29-2018, 11:09 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  

I do go outside every day now even if it is just on the deck. It's beautiful out mid 70's and sunny. I have a little camp stool I sit on. I thought I tried everything to get assistance but will look into the Department of Aging.

Funny you mentioned vitamins I just put a B complex and vitamin D in my cart on Amazon. I always took the vitamin D and B complex religiously but haven't for a few months. I have celiac disease and low vitamin D and osteoporosis.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:25 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  

I suppose I did make progress but the setbacks are tough to deal with. My son asked me to help him with the truck on Monday, so I'll do that. I spoke to an old friend and told him to come by but he had excuses. I need to find a friend.

I really can't afford paying for cable it costs at least $64.99 a month plus taxes. Internet starts at $39.99, I'd probably get Internet before TV. I'm going to look into Netflix again. I never heard of Chromecast, I'll find out what I can about them.

I'll look into elderly affairs and find out what they can do for a someone with a disability.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:13 AM
  # 245 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Apple TV and Amazon Firestick are lower cost streaming TV options, you do pay a monthly fee but it's nothing like cable.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:37 PM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Yes all those are good options too.

Google Chromecast is just a tiny device you plug in to your TV, then you download the Chromecast app from the Google store and you are good to go.

You can cast anything from your phone, Netflix (if you get a subscription), YouTube etc, anything you can view on your phone you can view on your TV (even SR! haha).

I don't know how much netflix is a month or how much data you have with your phone, hopefully a lot.

I really do understand that taking a few steps back, with your anxiety and depression is really hard. Please keep reminding yourself of your progress. You mention that you go out to your deck every day now. Just a few weeks ago that was insurmountable, now you just go ahead and go out there!

Glad you are spending time with your Son tomorrow.

Great suggestion hopeful, please let us know what they say Davey.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:10 AM
  # 247 (permalink)  

I have a Roku which is great. You need internet, but then it just plugs into your TV. It's so easy to use!
Old 10-02-2018, 05:29 PM
  # 248 (permalink)  

I had Apple TV a few years ago, I knew someone that had it and it was good. My Apple TV didn't work right but I can't remember why. I ended up getting cable because the Apple TV was instead of cable. I'm always using Amazon, I think I'll call them and maybe they can tell me about Firestick.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:37 PM
  # 249 (permalink)  

I'll read more about Chromecast and Netflix and find out what the cost is. I don't know how it would all work with my phone, I'll find out what I can. I have Metro and have unlimited data but it can slow down after using more than 50 gigs.

It is real difficult for me at this time to take steps backwards because of my frame of mind. It's true I think nothing of going out on the deck. I helped my son yesterday afternoon and for a little while tonight. Hopefully everything is all set and he'll be getting it painted next week. He's building a Dodge RAM Cummins pickup, it's at about 500 hp now.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:21 AM
  # 250 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm glad you had that time to work with your son on his truck, that sounds like a lot of fun.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:07 PM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by daveycrockett View Post
I'll read more about Chromecast and Netflix and find out what the cost is. I don't know how it would all work with my phone, I'll find out what I can. I have Metro and have unlimited data but it can slow down after using more than 50 gigs.

It is real difficult for me at this time to take steps backwards because of my frame of mind. It's true I think nothing of going out on the deck. I helped my son yesterday afternoon and for a little while tonight. Hopefully everything is all set and he'll be getting it painted next week. He's building a Dodge RAM Cummins pickup, it's at about 500 hp now.
I'd link to it but I don't think that's allowed here. This is a chromecast, just plug it in to the back of your TV in an HDMI port.

They are $35.00 at Walmart.

Netflix is $10.99 a month for the standard package, so that's not too bad.

I guess it's a good way to look outside at the world? The more you look out, the more you might want to be out!

Sounds like your day with your Son was good, so that's a nice break.

I can understand your frustration when you take steps back. There is no really good solution to that except avoiding negative self-talk (which is not easy but is achievable). You quit drinking! Curbing negative self-talk should be a walk in the part compared to that.

Do you read the other posts on SR at all Davey? That can be quite therapeutic I think, even if you only read the "positive" threads.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:05 PM
  # 252 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
Do you read the other posts on SR at all Davey? That can be quite therapeutic I think, even if you only read the "positive" threads.
Speaking of which, I just saw this thread and it made me think of your situation, not just with alcoholism but with depression and anxiety as well:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...s-falling.html (Reverse the negative - you are the one who keeps getting up again, not the one who keeps falling...)
Old 10-10-2018, 08:51 AM
  # 253 (permalink)  

I'm not doing good at all. I have a terrible pain through my back and it's like a hunger pang in my back. I'm pretty sure I have internal bleeding. I just know. I can only stand for less than a minute. Even laying down isn't helping. I desperately need someone to talk to. I'm so extremely scared. This past week has been the worst yet. I need help now but I can't ask for any. My son's working til three. I'll talk to him then. I might call the suicide line just to talk to someone.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:42 AM
  # 254 (permalink)  

Hi Davey, I'm sorry you're in pain and I understand why you would feel scared. Have you called your doctor's office to describe the pain to the nurse there? I hope you feel better soon. Keep us informed and take good care.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:25 AM
  # 255 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I would call someone ASAP, even if it's 911 to get it checked out.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:14 PM
  # 256 (permalink)  

I'm not doing good at all. I have a terrible pain through my back and it's like a hunger pang in my back. I'm pretty sure I have internal bleeding. I just know. I can only stand for less than a minute. Even laying down isn't helping. I desperately need someone to talk to. I'm so extremely scared. This past week has been the worst yet. I need help now but I can't ask for any. My son's working til three. I'll talk to him then. I might call the suicide line just to talk to someone.
Hi Davey, so sorry to hear this and sorry I missed seeing your post before now.

How are you doing? Were you able to get that pain checked out? Please let us know how you are now.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:13 PM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Hello, just checking in and hoping you got some help and are feeling a bit better?? Thinking of you!
Old 10-15-2018, 11:46 PM
  # 258 (permalink)  

Yes, hoping for an update when you are able. Hope you are feeling much better.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:50 PM
  # 259 (permalink)  

I'm doing about the same, I just made pizza and I'm gonna have a slice now. That weird hunger pangs like feeling comes and goes. My Blu-ray player died Saturday, I asked my son if he could go get me a new one but he didn't want to. I ordered a Sony from Amazon Saturday night and got it Monday. I'm still existing, I would love to play a game with someone in person. The depression, anxiety, and OCD are constant. Thanks for the replies.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:41 PM
  # 260 (permalink)  

I'm doing about the same, I just made pizza and I'm gonna have a slice now. That weird hunger pangs like feeling comes and goes. My Blu-ray player died Saturday, I asked my son if he could go get me a new one but he didn't want to. I ordered a Sony from Amazon Saturday night and got it Monday. I'm still existing, I would love to play a game with someone in person. The depression, anxiety, and OCD are constant. Thanks for the replies.
Good to hear you are ok Davey.

Thank heavens for Amazon!

Lack of exercise can really play games with the body. Even walking slowly, daily, can help, perhaps you would be more comfortable going for short walks after dark?