Notices

PTSD and struggling with alcohol AGAIN

Old 10-31-2004, 09:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Passion

PTSD and struggling with alcohol AGAIN

:scared1: As some of you already know, I'm dealing with PTSD over a rape that happened three years ago in November. The trama was so great that I
didn't remember it until the man who did this came to work and came through my line. The flashbacks started and I reached for a glass of wine to calm me down. I had been sober for thirteen years and took my first drink last October and haven't been able to get a handle on it. I hate It!
I also have DID if anyone here is familar with that term, it is called dissociation identy disorder, formed from a tramatic childhood.
I am currently being treated by a pastor who has been highly trained in these areas but the work is really tough! I'm really hurting inside almost all the time. Need some support.
Sincerely in Christ,
Passion & Co.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Hi Passion,

I know it's really rough. Looking back on mine I can see how God used all that suffering to drive me to him. I was just thinking about the Egyptian soldiers and the Red Sea story in the bible this week. I don't think they would have ever crossed through that scary parting of the sea if the soldiers weren't behind them. The soldiers may have represented all their suffering for the 400 years they were in slavery. I can see that all my suffering was used for my good on my journey.

Hold onto your faith. God can use anything for our good. I hope that others will be along to give you some tips about the alcohol use.

Huge hugs,
MG

Old 11-01-2004, 06:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Passion, You must hold onto your faith and go through this. God has brought us all here to a life of hope. Like MG, myself and others we are traveling this path with you. We must travel it, and alcohol will only delay not remove the need. Alcohol is like the devil himself, it knows God is guiding you and wants to keep you. Sometimes, you have to just follow what you know is right, with blind hope. Alcohol can magnify our worse feelings. Shame, fear, embarrasement etc. are all weapons of alcoholism. You sound like such a good person. You may not believe it now but, you have alot to offer us. You are important to us. Otherwise, He wouldn't have brought you here. We don't always know the way ourselves but, together we can guide each other. Don W
Old 11-07-2004, 05:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Passion my wife also suffers from DID and PTSD she was abused sexually by her father and ignored and beat by her alcoholic mother. My wife is a wonderfull person who right now is in rehab battleing the addiction to alcohol and getting help for the traumas that happened in her life. You cannot change what happened to you but I know you can change what happens to you now drinking is not the answer it just makes you more depressed. Trust in God and do the work. YOUR FRIEND V of NVhelp
Old 11-07-2004, 05:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Passion my wife also suffers from DID and PTSD she was abused sexually by her father and ignored and beat by her alcoholic mother. My wife is a wonderfull person who right now is in rehab battleing the addiction to alcohol and getting help for the traumas that happened in her life. You cannot change what happened to you but I know you can change what happens to you now drinking is not the answer it just makes you more depressed. Trust in God and do the work. YOUR FRIEND V of NVhelp
Old 11-08-2004, 09:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Passion

My heart goes out to you completely.

I suffered PTSD after leaving the British Army in 1992. This led me into heavy drinking, as I thought at the time to diminish the nightmares and anxiety. But as with other alcoholics I soon found myself in a vicious downward spiral where my fears and anxieties got much worse. So I can definitely say that drinking is not the answer.

Only this year I started one to one counselling and also started attending AA. Both have been a complete revelation for me. The counselling has helped me to revisit the situations which caused my anxiety and all the bad behaviours which followed. I now feel able to let go of all the nightmares whilst also finding inner strength from those very situations.

As for the alcohol, well getting to AA has been probably the best thing I have ever done in my life. It ha sopened a whole new sober world where I can make my own decisions without the booze trying to persuade me otherwise. People there have all been fantastic, some directly others indirectly just through sharing their experiences.

This can't be easy for you to deal with, but please believe me, there is a whole world of love and support right here for you.

You really can do this. One day at a time.

Hugs.

Rich