SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Anxiety Disorders (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/anxiety-disorders/)
-   -   Anxiety makes it difficult for me to stop drinking. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/anxiety-disorders/421180-anxiety-makes-difficult-me-stop-drinking.html)

Lonewolf22 01-01-2018 10:14 PM

Anxiety makes it difficult for me to stop drinking.

So my drinking habit usually entails drinking heavily (blacking out most times I drink), a few days of dealing with the hangover and the subsequent anxiety, depression and irritation. Then I will have a few days of feeling good to go outside but then when I do go out something usually triggers my anxiety and I scuttle to the safety of a pub where I'll stay until I black out. I usually make an embarrassment of myself too which makes going out that much harder each time I drink due to the shame. I need to cut this cycle but not quite sure how.

Dee74 01-02-2018 12:51 AM

The trouble is drinking for anxiety makes things worse. I ended up with the anxiety I had in the beginning - plus the anxiety I had jonesing for a drink or wondering what happened last night.

Drinking on anxiety is like trying to put out a fire with gasoline.

You can look for remedies on the web, or see your doctor - try some guided meditation or breathing exercises - exercise helps too...any one of those things is more effective and better for you than drinking on anxiety is

D

D122y 01-02-2018 02:21 AM

Lone,

I had the same issue with the cycle.

I call it a death spiral.

Stopping drinking caused the anxiety to escalate, but since I knew it was going to happen, I hung in there.

These days I still obsess, but I am used to it.

I am drug free and believe eventually, the anxiety will dissappear.

I can feel it getting better each day.

Thanks.

Lonewolf22 01-02-2018 03:09 AM

Yeah it is no way to live just wasting away the days and watching bank balance fade with nothing to account for it except the booze.

It's getting more painful going to town each time I make a fool of myself when drunk. I need just accept what I've done is done, let's not make it any worse.

Astro 01-02-2018 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 6730412)
Drinking on anxiety is like trying to put out a fire with gasoline.

Truth!

I had to replace the unhealthy activities with healthy ones, and with healthy (at least somewhat) which over the years has evolved into meetings, church, Men's groups, and a lot of outdoor time. I still have anxiety, but it's become much easier to overcome.

VigilanceNow 01-02-2018 04:39 AM

I completely relate to this, and I like what was said about it being a death spiral. Totally accurate. That's how the vicious cycle works - you end up drinking to get rid of anxiety and other physical and mental pain, only to create new and worse ones. That's why they call this a progressive illness; it truly can and will get worse if we don't stop the cycle for good. Once you stay sober for a bit, I've found that the anxiety and shame is put into perspective and becomes manageable again. It can take time, so be patient with yourself and actively seek out a sober support network. That way you can reach out to them rather than finding temporary relief in a pub. There's certainly no shame in asking for help!! Good luck and keep your head up :-)

August252015 01-02-2018 04:43 AM

Yep- agree with the others, Dee especially.

Sober, my anxiety is identifiable (not co-mingled or mistaken for other things) and manageable. Drunk, no chance of that.

Getting and staying sober is the only way for me to handle life, and my emotions - good and bad.

Hope to see you on here. Lots of us can relate to what you are going through - and many of us can tell you about what it's like when we quit.

Lonewolf22 01-02-2018 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by VigilanceNow (Post 6730549)
I completely relate to this, and I like what was said about it being a death spiral. Totally accurate. That's how the vicious cycle works - you end up drinking to get rid of anxiety and other physical and mental pain, only to create new and worse ones. That's why they call this a progressive illness; it truly can and will get worse if we don't stop the cycle for good. Once you stay sober for a bit, I've found that the anxiety and shame is put into perspective and becomes manageable again. It can take time, so be patient with yourself and actively seek out a sober support network. That way you can reach out to them rather than finding temporary relief in a pub. There's certainly no shame in asking for help!! Good luck and keep your head up :-)

Thank you for the kind reassurance. I know I've got an appointment at recovery centre this Thursday so I will attend that and start going to more support groups.
I haven't been out the house yet since my last drink so kind of nervous about going out. It's when that urge to pick up a drink, its like I go in autopilot and can't reason with myself. I'm wondering if meds might be a good idea whilst I don't feel too strong lately. It seems the recovery centre are hesitant in prescribing them.

Astro 01-03-2018 04:18 AM

I was prescribed SSRI's to help with depression and anxiety. While I had the experience of being told that I was not clean and sober if I took them, the majority expressed that if I took them as prescribed by my wellness provider I would be OK.

August252015 01-03-2018 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Astro (Post 6731888)
I was prescribed SSRI's to help with depression and anxiety. While I had the experience of being told that I was not clean and sober if I took them, the majority expressed that if I took them as prescribed by my wellness provider I would be OK.

Agree.

I too take certain drugs, prescribed by my excellent psych, and monitored as I go along thanks to her knowledge, my honesty with her, and my following directions. I strongly support the use of meds this way, if needed, and consider them one of the many tools in my sober life.

Emotional sobriety is paramount to me and things that help me maintain it are there for me to take advantage of so I keep going on a strong and peaceful path.

Cottontop1 01-03-2018 05:05 AM

Ptsd

Hi. I am 9 days sober and I have PTSD does anyone have any suggestions for managing PTSD fear and triggers while trying to get sober. I understand the four step address is fear. But I am still really traumatized and overwhelmed emotionally by realizing that I'm an alcoholic and that I harmed my daughter by my drinking. How do you deal with anxiety and guilt and grief during the early days of sobriety?

Astro 01-04-2018 04:13 AM

Welcome Cottontop! I don't have PTSD so I can't offer any experience, but I can tell you that I dealt with anxiety, guilt, and grief, and continue to, by surrounding myself with people who are going through the same experience and sharing our lives and recovery together. When I attempt to go through difficulties alone I find myself shrinking back in fear rather than facing them with another alcoholic.

I hope you find support and relief here.

Forward12 01-04-2018 08:20 AM

Alcohol is a one step forward, ten steps back "treatment" for anxiety and in the end it just makes it substantially worse.
The best plan of action is to start seeing a therapist to help with your issues.

TheToddman 01-10-2018 05:08 PM

Thanks for sharing, Lonewolf.

Self-medicating for anxiety with alcohol was exactly what I did. When the meds that I was taking didn't seem to completely manage it, I drank heavier to 'supplement'. There was even a point where I thought I would end up in a 'Leaving Las Vegas' situation...where I would try to keep alcohol in my system constantly. For me the answer was rehab, a med change and recovery group involvement. For you it may be different based upon where you are. I know that for me the endgame of trying to use booze to numb the pain/fear etc. was the end of my 'game'....I hope you're able to address both. There are avenues of support and resolution for ya ;)

Best,

T.

Akc 01-19-2018 05:46 AM

Hi I attempted to drink away my anxiety ,what a horrid cycle of destruction, it took me ages to get sober, I kept tapering to ease the withdrawal and the anxiety then 2 drinks turned to 10 and I would start again but it did work as I was so sick my life.. I wanted to just not wake up from a blackout.. the anxiety was intense with withdrawal but I survived it .. I als relapsed a few days ago for 24hours after 19 month sober. I am still devestated but I’m now Day 2 and feeling that anxiety again but I can’t go back to drinking again I just can’t I become a disgusting person ....you can do this !!! Keep coming here for support!