Notices

Antidepressants

Old 10-12-2017, 02:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Antidepressants

Wow I've been on sr 6 years and never been on this area.hi everyone 😀

I've suffered depression and anxiety all my life not realising alcohol made it worse. I quit seriously in Dec 12 and since then been on citalopram. My depression disapeared when sober and anxiety manageable.

started drinking again last year gradually then up to daily until 46 days ago when I quit again.

Since being on anti ds I feel slightly numb. Yes it numbs the anxiety but it numbs me and the good stuff and the world around me too.

I feel in a good place now. Work wise. Relationship finances life in general and am starting to wean off them. Have read some horror stories and certainly not looking for medical advice ☺

Just wondered if anyone had reduced their dosage or weaned successfully off anti ds once sober. Thank you.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you decide to wean off the antidepressant, it's best to talk to your dr and come up with a tapering plan. I finally started taking antidepressants just before I began recovery. For me, they level the playing field. I don't feel numb and still have to work on staying positive. In the first few years, I did try to stop a couple of times and within a few weeks, the anxiety returned.

If you feel that you are in a good place mentally right now, talk to your dr and see what he says.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I took SSRI's my first year of sobriety, doctor supervised, and then weaned off them. The key for me now is fresh air, sunshine, healthy diet, an active life filled with fellowship, and long-term sobriety. That's my experience thus far. I wish you the best.