Notices

Always running late?

Old 10-08-2017, 12:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Always running late?

Although I am hardly never late for any appointments I always seem to think I'm running late. Makes me very uncomfortable.

The Bible tells me to be anxious for nothing. I need to trust in that for the world it seems can drive one crazy. I'm retired what is my hurry?

M-Bob
Old 10-08-2017, 12:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Maybe you take after "Percy Rabbit". He was always saying that he was late for a very important date....
Old 10-08-2017, 12:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 View Post
Maybe you take after "Percy Rabbit". He was always saying that he was late for a very important date....
True, and if I keep telling myself that, I start to believe it.

A man is what he (she) thinkith.

M-Bob
Old 10-08-2017, 03:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've always been 'compulsively punctual'. If I'm not 15 minutes early, I consider that I'm late.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I've always been 'compulsively punctual'. If I'm not 15 minutes early, I consider that I'm late.
That's exactly how I roll.

If I think that I'm running late, I would rather turn around and go back home. Even though I would think that at most times I would not even be that late.

Getting much worse here lately?

Need to remember to give myself more time.

M-Bob
Old 10-09-2017, 05:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You touched on an area of high anxiety.

Yesterday I came face to face with this dysfunctional mindset: As an appointment time rolls around, I think I have time to do whatever I'm doing before leaving. I also think the actions I need to take before leaving for an appointment will take less time then they actually do. For instance, if the action I need to take prior to an appointment is dressing, I think it only takes me two minutes when in fact it takes me ten minutes. Or blow-drying my hair, great example! Yesterday I was 15 minutes late meeting my sister for brunch. Why? I wanted to blow-dry my hair before meeting her. I thought it would only take me a couple minutes. Apparently it takes me 15 minutes.

I have a limited concept of how long it takes me to get ready, or how long it may take to get somewhere given the variables of traffic, weather and acts of God. Sometimes I go off on little 'la-la-la' tasks and lose track of time that way, then I'm discombobulated and rushing around to get out the door. This is one of the last great frontiers of my personal development, getting honest about time management.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carpathia View Post
You touched on an area of high anxiety.

Yesterday I came face to face with this dysfunctional mindset: As an appointment time rolls around, I think I have time to do whatever I'm doing before leaving. I also think the actions I need to take before leaving for an appointment will take less time then they actually do. For instance, if the action I need to take prior to an appointment is dressing, I think it only takes me two minutes when in fact it takes me ten minutes. Or blow-drying my hair, great example! Yesterday I was 15 minutes late meeting my sister for brunch. Why? I wanted to blow-dry my hair before meeting her. I thought it would only take me a couple minutes. Apparently it takes me 15 minutes.

I have a limited concept of how long it takes me to get ready, or how long it may take to get somewhere given the variables of traffic, weather and acts of God. Sometimes I go off on little 'la-la-la' tasks and lose track of time that way, then I'm discombobulated and rushing around to get out the door. This is one of the last great frontiers of my personal development, getting honest about time management.
Exactly exactly if I may say that again this morning I will be leaving in a little over an hour and here I sit thinking I have plenty of time I better get what I need done quickly or once again I will think I'm running late and possibly be running late.
M-Bob
Old 10-09-2017, 07:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Mr

I always seem to be "occupied" until the last minute when then I depart for the school with my daughter or work or a meeting and low and behold I am late the school gate has already been closed, the meeting has started etc etc. So i multiply the anxiety and stress by a 100 and end up saying to myelf never again, i'll be more organised tomorrow morning but .... have to laugh at it though.

Its nearly 16h40 here now better start finishing up these few files otherwise I'll be late going to collect my daughter .... hihihihi

Old 10-09-2017, 07:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Okay I got everything done before I need to leave and I have 30 minutes to spare it seems this is what I need to do to keep my anxiety down have plenty plenty of time.

I do understand the four cups of coffee does not help. I should go to coffee Anonymous but I am not ready to give it up.

M-Bob
Old 10-09-2017, 08:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

lol, Bob.

I'm pretty good with getting to places on time, but I had a female pal years ago who could not get anywhere on time. I mean, not 15 minutes late - but hours late.

After a while, I started telling her to be here for dinner at 5, when dinner wasn't until 7. That got old though, and I just had to break off the relationship after the bajillionth time of "Waiting for Mary." My frustration level went way down.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yesterday went pretty good. I tried to give myself an extra hour to get to the places that I needed to go. This gave me plenty of time and I could relax a little more and take my time.
M-Bob
Old 10-16-2017, 04:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Working on giving myself plenty of time
deep breaths
and slowing down my thoughts.
Much better.
A nice sober day wished for all,
M-Bob