Notices

Anxiety Rant

Old 09-22-2017, 05:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety Rant

Stress and anxiety are running super high today.

I have so much to do at work and don't know how to get it done, so I'm super anxious. And because I'm so anxious, I can't concentrate on my work, so that makes me more anxious (meta-anxiety?). And normally I'd already be looking forward to a beer tonight to de-stress, but those devils will make me even more anxious, and I feel like it's all just a big vicious cycle and it's sooo frustrating.

Anyway, thank you for letting me rant and I'll definitely not be drinking tonight. Would love to hear about ways you've found to deal with the anxiety.

Old 09-22-2017, 04:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope the day ended a little better leeloo.

D
Old 09-23-2017, 07:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey, Leeloo.
Hope things are better today.
Work stress is the worst.
Take care of yourself today. Go for a walk if the weather is good.
Fresh air really does help with anxiety. Oxygenates the brain and the exercise releases good endorphins.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I agree, fresh air is a huge benefit to me and I love being near other people. I hope you're having a good weekend.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you guys. The day did indeed get a lot better.

I normally go walk my dog at lunch, but when work gets stressy I just work through it to get stuff done and take him on a longer walk in the evening. Although those are the days when I could really use that walk.

I should try making a point of doing that even when (or especially if) I'm having a crazy work day...
Old 09-23-2017, 01:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Definitely! I totally understand wanting to push through, but taking a break, even a short one, does wonders.
Give the pupper a pet from me. I love dogs.
And cats. I have two.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad you shared your stressors, Leeloo.

I'm also glad that your day improved.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So I was stressed and anxious all last week and still quite a bit during the weekend.
I decided to go to work Sunday to finish up a presentation I needed for today.
The anxiety went away as soon as I got to the office and started working.

It seems the best way for me to get over work anxiety is to go work. How ironic.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Jon

Originally Posted by Leeloo View Post
Stress and anxiety are running super high today.

I have so much to do at work and don't know how to get it done, so I'm super anxious. And because I'm so anxious, I can't concentrate on my work, so that makes me more anxious (meta-anxiety?). And normally I'd already be looking forward to a beer tonight to de-stress, but those devils will make me even more anxious, and I feel like it's all just a big vicious cycle and it's sooo frustrating.

Anyway, thank you for letting me rant and I'll definitely not be drinking tonight. Would love to hear about ways you've found to deal with the anxiety.

Usually go for a walk or try and make it to an Aa meeting. Write stuff down in a journal or carry some paper to draw. If I think of a few more ways I will let you know. Just keep it up! Ithink you are doing great...
Old 09-27-2017, 06:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Again at work, plagued by anxiety, finding it hard to concentrate. I'm almost compulsively checking Facebook and SR for distractions.
I'm drinking camomille tea and listening to murder mystery documentaries (oddly enough that calms me down).
Wish I could do some colouring. Are there jobs that involve colouring professionally?
Old 10-01-2017, 10:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yoga

I suffer from very heavy anxiety. And I'm sure that you've heard this advice before, but yoga does wonders for me. I do a sun salutation every morning and it makes a world of difference, mentally and physically. Don't even worry about doing it the "right way." It can just be glorified stretching. But the important part, for me personally, is the evacuation of all thoughts and perception of time. I am constantly worried about the future and the past. I wonder if I said something the wrong way to someone the night before, or I worry that I may not achieve all the things I want to today. But for just a few minutes, every morning (or afternoon or whenever the moment feels right), stop those thoughts. Live in the moment. I consider it a combination of exercise and meditation. Use all your will power to push thoughts out of your mind and just be here, right now.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

We're glad you're here, Pinch.

Welcome to our forum.

We hope you stick around and participate.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The act of concentrating and of focusing on whatever takes your mind away from the thoughts of anxiety by DOING something is a great tool if you can make it work it work for you! And remember, if nothing else, you won't always feel the way you do in the moment, this too shall pass.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Lee,

I exercise to relieve stress and get natural endorphins.

When I am done working, or on a break, I hit the gym.

Jogging on a treadmill, until I can hardly catch my breath, for 20 minutes fixes everything.

Physical suffering beats mental suffering everytime.

Plus...endorphins...

Yay!

Thanks.