Notices

I need help

Old 08-18-2017, 08:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need help

I grew up in chaotic home and my anxiety started then. My body must be stuck in some kind of hyper-alert state. At 55 I still don't have it under control. Most of my anxiety symptoms are physical but mentally, I carry around this HORRIBLE FEELING all the time. I can't identify it. I feel like I am constantly running away from it and it keeps sneaking back and makes me not want to do anything. I feel like it NEVER goes away. Does anyone know what it is and how to get rid of it? thanks mb
Old 08-18-2017, 09:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can relate to your symptoms.

Are you sober from all drugs and drink? That helps a lot, if you give it time. Also read the sticky posts at the top of the Anxiety forum, there's help there.

Exercise and a healthy nutrition plan are my very best tools. Eight hours of sleep is really important, as well as eliminating stress as much as possible.

Also there is a lot of info online about PTSD - maybe take a look at the resources you can find. I read a lot about stress and breathing techniques and meditation. It gets better if you work at it.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aauser View Post
I grew up in chaotic home and my anxiety started then. My body must be stuck in some kind of hyper-alert state. At 55 I still don't have it under control. Most of my anxiety symptoms are physical but mentally, I carry around this HORRIBLE FEELING all the time. I can't identify it. I feel like I am constantly running away from it and it keeps sneaking back and makes me not want to do anything. I feel like it NEVER goes away. Does anyone know what it is and how to get rid of it? thanks mb
I got that, mixed with ptsd and chronic ocd.....I have just started therapy, maybe that's something to consider?
Old 08-18-2017, 10:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I have always been 'high-strung'....drinking was my way of coping. Now that I have quit drinking I experience lots of anxiety attacks. I am learning to calm down, focus and distinguish what is real and what is all in my mind. So, I can relate in some ways to what you are going through.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I can relate to horrible, dreadful, doom-like feelings. I have found that with long-term sobriety and a spiritual life I've overcome those feelings with hope and happiness as I discover my purpose in life a little more each day. Not always an easy journey but it's more than worth the effort.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I can relate to your symptoms.

Are you sober from all drugs and drink? That helps a lot, if you give it time. Also read the sticky posts at the top of the Anxiety forum, there's help there.

Exercise and a healthy nutrition plan are my very best tools. Eight hours of sleep is really important, as well as eliminating stress as much as possible.

Also there is a lot of info online about PTSD - maybe take a look at the resources you can find. I read a lot about stress and breathing techniques and meditation. It gets better if you work at it.
Been dealing with this feeling since I was a small child. Counseling, prayer, meditation, breathing, exercise, eat very well optimum weight visit the dr etc. Have friends same job for 30 years, a stable person and I appreciate ur input. Do u know what the feeling is? A counselor told me at 15 yo it was free floating anxiety or basically fear. But it is a constant companion. I believe this feeling wont ever go away it waxes and wanes but I still wish it would go away. Thanks again.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Astro View Post
I can relate to horrible, dreadful, doom-like feelings. I have found that with long-term sobriety and a spiritual life I've overcome those feelings with hope and happiness as I discover my purpose in life a little more each day. Not always an easy journey but it's more than worth the effort.
I agree for sure and good 4 you it worked like that. Not everyone is so lucky. Trust me I have been working on this since I went to my first counselor at 14 yo. My first of many counselors and recovery meetings alanon helps the most.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 View Post
I have always been 'high-strung'....drinking was my way of coping. Now that I have quit drinking I experience lots of anxiety attacks. I am learning to calm down, focus and distinguish what is real and what is all in my mind. So, I can relate in some ways to what you are going through.
Thanks for replying. Sometimes I think being in my perimenopausal years has made it so much worse so I am hopeful after my hormones stabalize It may get tolerable again. Good luck to you.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chilledice View Post
I got that, mixed with ptsd and chronic ocd.....I have just started therapy, maybe that's something to consider?
Will it ever go away you think? I have been to counseling for almost 35 years yikes im getting old. That helps but it never goes away.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aauser View Post
Will it ever go away you think? I have been to counseling for almost 35 years yikes im getting old. That helps but it never goes away.
Hmm you on meds at all?

I am a FIRM believer that anxiety disorders can be deleted!

What sort of counseling? Cbt? Erp?
Old 08-23-2017, 08:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Chilledice

I am on Zoloft and have been thinking about getting off of it. I feel like it is making it worse, the feeling that is. I have had group counseling, five years, individual cognitive counseling, many years, counseling where he put a beeping noise in ear (a year). I go to AA, Al-Anon, and am going through the last year or two of Perimenopause. Any help you would have is appreciated.

mb
Old 08-23-2017, 11:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Your symptoms sound a lot like my own, which my doctor diagnosed as GAD and that he has successfully treated with meds for many, many years.

Help may be around the corner with you.

If you don't get a good feeling with a doctor after a few months, you may have the wrong one.

I concur that much anxiety can be successfully treated.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

I'm with SoberCAH on this - sounds like GAD. I've had the same since I was little, and it was brutal. Meds have helped tremendously. Some of us just have some screwy brain wiring, and when you pair that with a difficult upbringing, it can be really hard. I think you should talk to your doctor and go into a lot of detail about the anxiety. I hope you feel better soon!
Old 08-29-2017, 02:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Beeping in ear?
Old 09-16-2017, 08:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I've been diagnosed with GAD (again) and take meds plus therapy that I've had intermittently over the past 20+ years and due to various changes over the years I have been sober my mental health has suffered and I continue to believe somewhere near my core I am unworthy. I know I can overcome these thoughts and feelings somehow, someway, someday but right now I am learning to be better at acceptance, to sit with it, to be in the present moment.
I did some C.A.T. (Cognitive Analytical Therapy) and work on my inner child which was hard yet very helpful.
My husband has done EMDR which helped his anxiety about specific intrusive thoughts to reduce vastly in a short space of time (relatively speaking)
There are many great forms of therapy out there but IMO it is the relationship of trusting another with these immensely personal feelings that is most important. A practitioner that can allow you to relax enough to let go of the fear and embrace yourself with love.
Light & peace to all