Notices

Prescribed Meds

Old 05-16-2017, 12:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Prescribed Meds

Hi All.

I rescheduled my appointment with my doctor for today. I want to talk to him about how extreme my anxiety has gotten.
Every time we get into a car, I lose my marbles and can't relax until we reach out destination. This is after a traumatising experience while returning from holiday.

If he gives me anti-anxiety meds, did it help for you or did it just zone you out. My husband was on anti-depressants many years ago and stopped because it made him feel nothing. I know it is not the same but, I would love to function like a normal human being. We have 2 trips through the same area soon and I cannot function just thinking about it. These are important trips for my son, but I wish that they are cancelled. It's so frustrating. Also speaking to your doctor about something like this almost feels embarrassing, but I am deperate.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

I started a course of Sertraline last week. The first 3-4 days were strange but now I feel my normal self, no fog etc. My anxiety is much reduced but not gone, I can work on it.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for your response. If only there was a fix-it-all cure. I am very happy that you are better.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You have to find the right balance for you. It doesn't have to zone you out but it might make you forgetful or perhaps not as sharp as usual. This is ok in the short term! Ive found I need to tackle it from multiple angles. Exercise, writing, whatever gives me that sense of ok, everything is all right. ��
Old 05-16-2017, 06:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I take a med regimen that is working for me- my dr and I have good, honest communication and we have adjusted as I have gone along in my sobriety. One thing I take as needed is ativan (lorazepam) up to three times a day, for anxiety. It is controlled so I am careful with it and honest about days I want four (or five). I also take serpquel for sleep nightly (also called quetapine) and it also has an anxiety component. I take Paxil with it at night (taking it during the day made me sleepy). My dr wants me on these and overall they are working - I am battling some fatigue (nap-needing) during the day and recent up and down during the night kind of sleep. Working on caffeine and sugar in diet to help that, too.

IMO and IME the right meds are awesome support tools for our sobriety.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Many people deal with mental health issues (including myself) and it's nothing to be ashamed of. Be open with your doc about it he likely will give you a medication(s) to help.
Often times they may not help right away, you may need to try different ones and dosages, but once dialed it, they can make your life much more tolerable.
Also starting to see a therapist can also be a great help.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for all your responses. My doctor put me on 20mg Citalopram. It makes me feel weird. I know it takes time to kick in, but I feel very spaced out. I hardly slept last night considering I was so tired to begin with. I do have regrets and wish I could just manage things without medication. I hope this is not in vain.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I think the "spaced out" feeling is very normal, I often describe it as "cobwebs on the brain". Give it time and stay active and healthy. Some need meds always, others are able to wean off eventually. As mentioned, helping yourself is nothing to be ashamed of.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am feeling a little better on day 3 of the meds. The dizziness is atleast gone now. Not as spaced out, but the excessive yawning is a bit funny actually. I know it will take a while to feel the positive effects so I am going to be patient and wait. My anxiety is still heightened, but I read it can take up to 6 weeks for the meds to start working. I slept last night, which was so amazing.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes with ssri's it can take up to a month for the full effects to kick in, but it sounds like you're having some positive results which is good. For some they can cause sleepiness so taking it at night might be a good idea if you aren't already.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've been taking it in the morning so that might be the problem, but I'm sleeping well at night right now. In fact too well. Sleeping about 10 hours a night and still sleepy during the day. I'm just going to ride it out for this week and if it persists, I'll try taking it at night