Notices

New - anxiety when taking a new med

Old 04-27-2017, 07:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy New - anxiety when taking a new med

Hi,
I'm new, it felt best to post in here. I've been prescribed naltrexone (I asked for it and my Dr is on board). I've read heaps about it & I am confident in giving it a go however the anxiety still kicks in that 'something bad' is going to happen to me.

I tapered off really quickly, drinking a lot one night. Night after two drinks, the next night (today) 1 drink. Tomorrow to start meds. General advice will say 7-10 days but I read a trusted government/medical type site saying 3 days.

I'm not asking for advice on the medication as such (though please feel free to share any personal accounts), I'm more sharing/asking for help/frustrated with my anxiety. Even though my Dr has approved this withdrawal plan, my anxiety still carries on. I just can't wait to be fully withdrawn so I can stop worrying about something bad happening to me. I keep thinking I am going to have a seizure and die. Ughhh.

Hence posting this in the anxiety disorders forum. I have GAD, social anxiety and I used to have panic attacks though I don't feel I have had one in a while. Lexapro has helped me slightly and my dose has just been increased to 20mg.

I feel I need to 'feel the fear' and take this Naltrexone anyway. I can tell you if I don't take it I know I will drink. This isn't trying to be negative but realistic. Once I have taken it for a few days and nothing bad happens I will be able to calm down but it's just getting to that point.

I keep trying to reassure myself my Doctor would't have agreed if it wasn't safe. She agreed to the rapid withdrawal, because when I have a longer plan on 4-5 days at 3-4 drinks....in that time I will convince myself I don't have a problem (never learn ), so I need that quicker withdrawal to keep my motivation up.

I know this is just anxiety. A lot of fear.

Anyway, nice to find this forum and I hope for some replies.

Ahealthylife
Old 04-27-2017, 08:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We're very glad you're here, healthy.

I remember when detoxing was the greatest fear and concern in my life.

I haven't had to do it again, mercifully.

I hope you have a plan of recovery to follow.

Please stay with us and keep us posted.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I battle with bad anxiety myself and believe me, all the booze does is makes the panic and anxiety a million times worse.
That's great you're under the care of a doc and has meds lined up for you. Stick to the plan you've worked out and things will get better. It will be rough at first, but it will get better every day.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Welcome to the forums, I hope you find the support you're looking for here.

I've taken anxiety meds but never mixed them with alcohol, I was just too fearful of the consequences. Please consider a solid program of recovery.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I also suffer from GAD and take Lexapro. I'm on day 1 again today and my doc prescribed me baclefen which reduces anxiety and desire to drink. I've been reading up on the Sinclair method. I hope it works for you. Check in and let us know how you are going
Old 04-28-2017, 07:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I forgot to mention, healthy, that, when I expressed my terror of detox to the addictionologist who threw me into his treatment center, he told me that he had detoxed 5,000 people and that he could detox me.

I took great comfort in that notion, and I haven't had to drink or detox since.

Please keep us posted.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I wrote a really really long reply and then lost it all.

Too tired to type much now except to say thank you for your lovely responses.

Took half a dose of naltrexone this afternoon and there has been no drinking. Have slept a lot - not sure whether it's the naltrexone or lexapro increase or both.... but I need to start taking both 1 hr before bed because after a bit they "hit me" and make me so incredibly tired.

Really glad I have medication this time and as it's something I've never tried (naltrexone) I have renewed confidence this might do the trick. I'm not doing Sinclair method as such as I have to take the naltrexone every day for at least 3 months.

Naltrexone - had a few minor effects, mild headache, tingly foot etc - nothing huge and nausea was really very very minor so far. Just the tiredness an issue. Made me feel so very calm though and at peace, now that is welcome.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberNunn View Post
I also suffer from GAD and take Lexapro. I'm on day 1 again today and my doc prescribed me baclefen which reduces anxiety and desire to drink. I've been reading up on the Sinclair method. I hope it works for you. Check in and let us know how you are going
Thanks. I'm going to stick to this "combo" for a while and see how it goes but it's good to know about other options and what is working for you. : )

I think Sinclair method is only taking naltrexone before you drink - I am on naltrexone every day for 3 months at least. It seems to be similar, yet different, from what I have read anyway.

Thanks for your reply, it's nice to get responses especially when starting out and fearful.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Astro View Post
Welcome to the forums, I hope you find the support you're looking for here.

I've taken anxiety meds but never mixed them with alcohol, I was just too fearful of the consequences. Please consider a solid program of recovery.
More than going to consider it, I am going to do it! Have to push past my fear and do it - because I want to choose a better path and I know it's "not the real me". I have begun and now it's just about sticking to it and putting the work into it all. I have a fair bit of support I think and know where to seek help as well. : )

And yes... it worried me at first but I know my lexapro dose wasn't too high and my Dr (diff Dr) said drinking was ok. Unfortunately reassurance that I did not need.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Day 3

Day 3, no booze. Been taking the naltrexone. Tired and a few minor symptoms (clogged ears, tingly fingers arm, achy joints), not much nausea though which is one of the side effects I was worried about

Slept 11 hours last night
The tiredness from the medications is a huge issue but I hope it settles down in time
Old 04-30-2017, 09:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I'm glad to hear you got some rest, that was very difficult for me my first couple months sober.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Day 5 today

Feel a bit low, but am ok.

I don't like how anyone can view this forum even when not logged in. Does anyone know of more private forums that you have to be a member of to view?

Thanks
Old 05-04-2017, 08:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ahealthylife View Post
Day 5 today

Feel a bit low, but am ok.

I don't like how anyone can view this forum even when not logged in. Does anyone know of more private forums that you have to be a member of to view?

Thanks
Great work on day 5! Don't be worried that it's an open forum, you are still anonymous, plus your thread may help others in a similar situation.