Notices

Vacation

Old 04-16-2017, 06:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Vacation

Hello... Im a recovering alcoholic (10 months) i have always struggled with anxiety anyways my dad wants me and husband to fly to Florida to see him. I just booked flight's and having horrible a anxiety thinking about leaving. First vacation in 7 years .. i do have loperzamm but nervous. Any. Suggestions too be able to. Enjoy vacation? ?
Thanks
Old 04-16-2017, 06:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would suggest to make a gratitude list about this vacation.
A) 10 months is something to smile about.
B) You have a dad that is still alive and cares enough about you to even want to see you, that is very fortunate.
C) You are married and have love.
D) You are going to Florida on Vacation!! Hello get excited...
Old 04-16-2017, 07:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank u
Old 04-16-2017, 07:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'll be in Key West at the end of May. I'm totally looking forward to it. You're going to have a good time and everything is going to be fine. Just remember to cherish everything about it
Old 04-16-2017, 08:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

HOPE- DO YOU HAVE A PLAN WHILE YOU ARE THERE? Local meetings to go to, where they are and how to get there for example?
Old 04-17-2017, 05:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I get vacation anxiety too and I've been sober for over 12 years. I think most of it I would attribute to my workaholism, thinking that my job won't survive without me! The best tactics I have for dealing with this is a list of AA meetings as PhoenixJ mentioned, and a laptop so I can check in on these forums every day. Beyond that I do my best to relax and enjoy myself. Our bodies and brains really do deserve a break.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sunshine72 View Post
I'll be in Key West at the end of May. I'm totally looking forward to it. You're going to have a good time and everything is going to be fine. Just remember to cherish everything about it
I hope you have a great time in Key West.

I have been over 40 times, and all since I got sober.

They have some great meetings at the Anchors Aweigh Clubhouse on Virginia St.

I have told my story there several times.

We're going back in late July.

The island ambiance, vegetation, architecture, culture and friendliness are spectacular in Key West.

Let us know how you enjoy your trip.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hey right there with you 10 months sober as well for the first time...so high five

but i hate planes myself, and being in social situations as well... ugh

but you have to be mindful of why your doing it and knock out the negitive, easier said then done, but breathe, breathe and breathe some more, nice deep breaths, i dont ever suggest any meds, but xxanxx what you have is on the plane your freind, sounds crazy but you know it will keep you calm, and breathe, take stuff with you that will occupy you,

even if you need to spend alittle $$ a tablet, book whatever, or play card games with your husband... my wife always looks at me when i have panic attacks and tries to take my mind off of things, and its hard for your partner to probably do so sometimes, but accept the help no matter what in this situation... there only there to help even if they can be annoying about it

but i cant stress enough to breath, and if you want to start if you dont, try meditating on the plane, its a place where you cant really move so just use the best of that seat and get a app about i suggest chakra training and melt into the speakers words