Notices

Fear of Flying

Old 09-30-2016, 06:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fear of Flying

Hello,

I am new to this thread and wanted to get some advice on a current issue causing me tons of anxiety. I am currently 19 months sober and a very active member of AA. Although I have traveled a ton in my life without anxiety, about a year ago I had a panic episode on the way to the airport and had to cancel a trip. I have not even entertained the idea of traveling since because just the idea causes me panic. Traveling is my absolute passion in life and I now feel as though it's been taken from me due to the terrible anxiety I have associated with it. I don't have a fear of crashing but I have a fear of being trapped in a plane. I worry that I will freak out and have no escape. Although I have put off traveling for the past year I have 2 upcoming trips(one for work and one for a wedding) that I really do not want to miss. Although I have started seeing a therapist regarding the issue, I don't think I will be able to commit to these trips without the help of medication. I spoke to my doctor about this problem and she prescribed me 10 Xanax. She knows that I used to have a problem with alcohol. I am hoping that just having the medication will decrease my anxiety and I won't have to take it. However I am now have all sorts of anxiety about even entertaining the idea of taking a pill like Xanax. I believe that even though alcohol was my problem, AA has taught me that any mind altering substance is going to create problems. I also worry that friends in AA would look down on me or even consider me to have relapsed if I take something for flying. Any advice would be appreciated. This issue has been all that I have been able to think about recently and don't know if I should even fill the prescription or go on these trips.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello and Welcome. I don't know how AA looks at it (someone else will have to answer that) but to me, if it's prescribed by your dr I don't see why it would be seen as a relapse. And yes..... Sometimes just knowing it's available helps and never even has to be taken. In my experience, I've had situations like this that bring on my anxiety and once I get through them the first time (since I've stopped drinking) the second and third time bother me less and less.
I understand the concern about taking Xanax as well though because I wouldn't want anything to jeapordize my sobriety.

Question though.... Have you taken Xanax before?
Old 09-30-2016, 08:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have only taken it 2-3 times and it was years ago during my college years. To be honest it was so long ago that I don't even remember the feeling or if I enjoyed it. I just recall a few instances that it was offered to me and I took it.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I truly wouldn't consider it a relapse at all. I would be careful and only take what you think you need (under your doctor's supervision of course) but it wouldn't be a relapse at all. I'd suggest putting that worry to rest as you are dealing with your flight fear at the moment and surely that is enough fear

Is the therapist helping? One thing that has helped me with anxiety is imagining that I am floating through it. Also, when I feel intense rising panic, trying my best to turn it into excitement has worked wonders. Terror and excitement are actually quite similar in how they feel in many ways so it's a fairly easy switch for the body if you practice it to turn fear into excitement.

I wish you all the best! I hope you do face your fears and take your trips. I hope the anticipatory anxiety is worse than it actually will be.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There's a natural antianxiety at the Health Food stores called Bach's Rescue Remedy. I have used it with success. There are many forms. If you search it on Amazon there are LOTS of great reviews so you can get an idea about it. If you decide to take the Xanax be honest with yourself why you're taking it, your motives. Everyone will have their opinion but the final choice is yours. I hear in AA "what people think of me is none of my business." Ignore what is said. You know the truth. You may not even need the whole dose...just a small amount. Whatever you do enjoy your flights and have a great time when you get there
Old 09-30-2016, 08:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm in the same boat. I hate flying. I always depended on copious amounts of alcohol to get through the ordeal. I've done one cross country trip sober, and it was uncomfortable. I've thought of seeking something from the doctor, but have the same reservations you have. I wouldn't consider it a relapse, but I wouldn't want to open a can of worms with pills.
I found that distractions helped- games and movies on my phone, music, etc. I wish you luck.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I understand. I've only ever taken it for anxiety or feelings of panic. I don't feel I've ever abused it. That being said, All it ever did was helped with the anxiety. I never felt high or in any way buzzed or like I ever did drinking.

For me once I was sober and dealing with my anxiety without alcohol, I wanted to be very careful not to take anything at the first sign of anxiety or even when I started getting uncomfortable per say. I truly wanted it to be a last resort for things I couldn't miss due to anxiety.

I'm 13+ months sober and I can't remember the last time I had to take it. (As I said, I still haven't flown yet though)
Old 09-30-2016, 08:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by oldsoul112249 View Post
There's a natural antianxiety at the Health Food stores called Bach's Rescue Remedy. I have used it with success. There are many forms. If you search it on Amazon there are LOTS of great reviews so you can get an idea about it. If you decide to take the Xanax be honest with yourself why you're taking it, your motives. Everyone will have their opinion but the final choice is yours. I hear in AA "what people think of me is none of my business." Ignore what is said. You know the truth. You may not even need the whole dose...just a small amount. Whatever you do enjoy your flights and have a great time when you get there

Thank you for the reply. I actually did buy bachs rescue remedy last week. I was hoping it would help but I did not get any relief from it. It also tastes like whiskey so seems a little weird to be using.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Windancer View Post
I truly wouldn't consider it a relapse at all. I would be careful and only take what you think you need (under your doctor's supervision of course) but it wouldn't be a relapse at all. I'd suggest putting that worry to rest as you are dealing with your flight fear at the moment and surely that is enough fear

Is the therapist helping? One thing that has helped me with anxiety is imagining that I am floating through it. Also, when I feel intense rising panic, trying my best to turn it into excitement has worked wonders. Terror and excitement are actually quite similar in how they feel in many ways so it's a fairly easy switch for the body if you practice it to turn fear into excitement.

I wish you all the best! I hope you do face your fears and take your trips. I hope the anticipatory anxiety is worse than it actually will be.
Thank you for the reply. I have only seen my therapist twice so far so it's hard to tell if it's helped. He seems to think that he can help me a lot but I have my skepticism that he could tell everyone that. Either way I am going to stick with it and try to have an open mind and hopeful view.

I also hope that this anticipatory anxiety is worse and than the actual moment. Although I haven't tried flying since my last panic incident, I have had other fearful situations that end up not nearly as bad as anticipated.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Take the medication, enjoy the wedding! Xanax puts me right to sleep, so does zzzzzz, so I took that because it less potent. Now that I am trying to get my liver healthy I can't take anything. We're flying to New Orleans this week, must get into a strong emotional space.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by oldsoul112249 View Post
There's a natural antianxiety at the Health Food stores called Bach's Rescue Remedy.
GREAT SUGGESTION! I have also used this with a lot of success. It works on my horses and dog, too. Very safe, non- addictive and effective. Just my experience. It sure wouldn't hurt to give it a try.
Old 10-01-2016, 12:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I wouldn't worry about what anyone says or thinks. What is prescribed for you is between you and your doctor. Take your medicine and enjoy your trip.
Old 10-01-2016, 04:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Anti-anxiety medication to reduce flight anxiety backfires. The temporary — and generally inadequate — relief gained comes with a high long-term cost. Anti-anxiety medications prevent anxious fliers from getting used to flying. They increase the anxious flier's sensitivity to the plane’s noises and motions. They impact the person’s memory and ability to learn. They cause psychomotor impairment. And, they are addictive. According to research at the Stanford University School of Medicine, though the person taking anti-anxiety medication may feel more relaxed psychologically, there is increased arousal physiologically. “Alprazolam increases physiological activation under acute stress conditions and hinders therapeutic effects of exposure in flying phobia.” In this research study, 28 anxious fliers took two flights. On the first flight, half received alprazolam (generic Xanax) and half received a placebo. Those taking alprazolam reported significantly reduced levels of anxiety compared with those taking a placebo during the first flight. However, their heart rate (114 bpm) and breathing rate (22.7 breaths/min) were much higher than in the group that had taken a placebo. As an alternative to medication, many misinformed mental health professionals recommending breathing exercises. They are not effective other than as a distraction, and when turbulence begins, distraction ends. Stress hormones are released by the feeling that the plane is falling that make it impossible to keep the flight out of the mind. I've spent thirty-five years developing methods that do work, and have put what I've learned in a book titled "SOAR: The Breakthrough Treatment for Fear of Flying." In interested, you can read a sample of the book on Amazon.
Thanks
Old 10-01-2016, 07:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Anti-anxiety medication to reduce flight anxiety backfires. The temporary — and generally inadequate — relief gained comes with a high long-term cost. Anti-anxiety medications prevent anxious fliers from getting used to flying. They increase the anxious flier's sensitivity to the plane’s noises and motions. They impact the person’s memory and ability to learn. They cause psychomotor impairment. And, they are addictive.

According to research at the Stanford University School of Medicine, though the person taking anti-anxiety medication may feel more relaxed psychologically, there is increased arousal physiologically. “Alprazolam increases physiological activation under acute stress conditions and hinders therapeutic effects of exposure in flying phobia.”

In this research study, 28 anxious fliers took two flights. On the first flight, half received alprazolam (generic Xanax) and half received a placebo.

Those taking alprazolam reported significantly reduced levels of anxiety compared with those taking a placebo during the first flight. However, their heart rate (114 bpm) and breathing rate (22.7 breaths/min) were much higher than in the group that had taken a placebo.

As an alternative to medication, many misinformed mental health professionals recommending breathing exercises. They are not effective other than as a distraction, and when turbulence begins, distraction ends. Stress hormones are released by the feeling that the plane is falling that make it impossible to keep the flight out of the mind.

I've spent thirty-five years developing methods that do work, and have put what I've learned in a book titled "SOAR: The Breakthrough Treatment for Fear of Flying." In interested, you can read a sample of the book on Amazon.
Of these 28 anxious flyers...... How many were recovering alcoholics or already had underlying anxiety issues? How many of them just have a flying phobia?

Just curious!?
Old 10-01-2016, 08:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have ptsd, anxiety disorder, and drank myself into a stupor last time I flew.

I almost got kicked off the plane.

Not even xanax and ativan would help. I was so afraid of flying.

I am now reading "flight 232". I find it is better to know why I am so afraid as to why planes crash, why I feel panicky and out of control and so on. I also read "cruising attitude." It really explains what flight attendants do and why. How to calm down and so on.

If your don't know why the plane is making certain noises at times, and why, you're going to panic. After over 30 flights, I still panic. Learn the aircraft.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Glad you're here, French.

I am more afraid of Xanax than flying.

I would consider getting a second opinion.

Best to you and your travels.

Back when I was drinking and using, I always seemed to have trouble with public transportation and the public transportation industry had problems with me for that matter.

Aircraft are scary.

They defy gravity and common sense, they make frightful noises, they jerk around, you're in incredibly cramped space.

I'm sympathetic to your fear.

Back in the day, so to speak, taking 10 Xanax would be about what I would have recommended for a flight.

Let us know how you do.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by French123 View Post
Thank you for the reply. I actually did buy bachs rescue remedy last week. I was hoping it would help but I did not get any relief from it. It also tastes like whiskey so seems a little weird to be using.
I tried bach's and it did absolutely nothing. Chamomile tea helps. Just take some bags with you and ask the flight attendant for hot water (or get hot water at a terminal cafe before boarding.)

I used to need to take at least 100 bucks for booze to get me through cross country flights to visit the east coast. Glad I don't have to do that anymore. Now I scope out smoothie shops.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Are you in AA? I am more afraid of the guilt/shame of taking Xanax then the physical reaction. Don't get me wrong; I recognize that taking Xanax could produce similar effects to alcohol and lead to problems, however I think that risk could be worth it if it means I will be able to start traveling again. I just worry that I will feel so terrible about myself for taking the pill and if I am honest with AA friends I will be shunned. AA has created a feeling of fear and powerlessness within me that is affecting my life in a negative way. I want to feel in control again. As I stated before, my fear of flying is not about crashing; it lies within this overwhelming sense of being trapped and not in control.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you for the advice. I will have to give Chamomile tea a try.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:42 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

French, I'm saddened to read that you're afraid of your AA friends reactions to you taking a drug prescribed by your doctor for the alleviation of, what will be a temporary condition, whilst flying. Is it perhaps because you've 'used' that drug previously, in addition to alcohol?

If not and alcohol was the only drug you used, then I'm sure that beneficial friends, wouldn't cause you to feel guilty and ashamed for following medical advice.

Of course, there are other ways to combat fear, non-prescription. But it appears from your writings that you seek your AA friends approval to the taking of the prescribed drug, yet know it won't be received. That instead, you'll receive your friends condemnation, which will instill shame in you?

I don't really understand why you would need to disclose the temporary use of a prescribed drug to your AA friends anyway, nor to seek their approval.

I really feel for you and hope you find a solution, but honestly, I don't know whether to say this, but this appears to me to be an unhealthy situation between you and your AA friends. Do you have any non-AA friends to run this issue past or perhaps review it with your doctor or therapist, if you have one. I don't think fellow AA members should influence a members decision whether to follow medical advice, AA friend or not. Please take care and seek advice from appropriate people, who have your best interests at heart.