Notices

So full of panic I'm finding it hard to function

Old 07-24-2016, 01:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So full of panic I'm finding it hard to function

I tried to post earlier but don't think it worked. I have struggled with anxiety and panic off and on for 20 years. I take 100mg Zoloft per day. About 10 years ago I went through a divorce. I started having 1 or two drinks a night to help get to sleep. This increased to about 8 stubbie beers a night at its worst. I never skipped a night and only drank when I got home from work. It never really occurred to me that I was an alcoholic until the panic started. At first it was at night waking we rapid heart rate, sweats. Then it was at night and in the morning. Waking with rapid heart rate, curled in feotal position and mind racing so fast I couldn't remember what I was just thinking about. I went to the hospital and was put on a Valium taper over 6days starting and 5mg three times a day a weaning off from there. It was bearable. Then 5 days after taking the last Valium. Boom. Massive racing heart, feeling unstable on my feet and like I was going to faint. It lasted at least an hour and I was at school picking up kids. I took a 1/4 or 1.25mg to calm me down. It calmed me enough to get home. The thing is it has continued the last two days and I have been slowly taking more Valium to deal with it. I'm petrified of having a seizure and can't get to psychiatrist for another week. Has anyone else felt this and is there any suggestions on how to deal with it. I feel like I'm falling apart. Thank you
Old 07-24-2016, 10:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I deal with horrible anxiety and depression as well and it is horrible. I would forsure first get off the alcohol. While it does temporary help, the anxiety will come back in full force making everything much, much worse. Just keep taking your medication as prescribed until you can see your doctor again.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi & Welcome Mermaid
Old 07-24-2016, 04:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Hi Mermaid, and welcome.

I hope you'll find answers and I know you'll have support here. I agree that staying off the alcohol is crucial, and getting professional help is a great step too. We're not doctors and can't give medical advice. If you have a physician I would suggest contacting them and telling them you need to see them immediately.

I couldn't get in soon enough to see my doc so I checked into the ER. It got me the help I needed, and I'm glad I took action.

Last edited by Astro; 07-26-2016 at 05:23 AM.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi! Thank you for the welcomes. I had been suffering with the severe anxiety after cutting down alcohol. That is when I went to the hospital. They put me on a 6 day taper with Valium. I started at 5mg three times a day. I haven't had a drink since 11th of July. Started my taper on 12 of July and finished on 16th of July 2016. I did fine for the next few days, bearable anxiety and a little insomnia. Then on the 22nd almost a week later, the exact symptoms returned with a vengance. I took 1.25mg to calm the extreme anxiety, was picking kids up from school, hands shaking, unable to concentrate, felt like my legs were going to give way. This got me through the day. The next day severe anxiety on waking, heart palpitations, curled up in feotal position, diarhoea. Took another 1.25 to help with anxiety. Next day really bad anxiety again took 1.25 in morning, then late arvo took 2.5mg. Insomnia till 11pm by which time I was very irritable and cranky and frustrated. I felt like punching the wall. I am definately not a violent person and wouldn't hurt a fly, so was scared that I even felt so aggressive. So took another 2.5mg Through all this I am waking 3 or 4 times in the middle of the nights, sweaty, heart racing and thoughts racing. I have even bought a heart monitor thing so I know I don't have high/low blood pressure when this happens. Took 1.25mg this morning so I could get up and get to work. Coping so far, but distracted and anxious although no panic attacks. I know no one can give me medical advice, but has anyone experienced anything like this? Just needing to share experiences with people who may have some understanding of what is happening. Absolutely terrified of a seizure. Thankyou. Have a psychiatrist appointment tomorrow.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's great that you quit alcohol and have the appointment tomorrow. I can relate to feelings on crippling anxiety and wish you the quickest possible relief from it. On maintenance level, what truly makes a difference with my anxiety is exercise and getting out of my head by physically getting out there and doing other things and talking to people, even when I have to force myself at first. Hang in there! Slow and steady. Good luck tomorrow.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Mermaid
I have lived with crippling anxiety since the age of 13. Over the years I have dealt with it through some means or other: smoking cigarettes in my early 20's, casual drinking, a life-long trouble with disordered eating, and an addiction to exercise. When perimenopause hit, I became a serious drinker for 3 years. The drink worsened my anxiety too, although I didn't realize it the way you have. MINDFUL exercise helps me tremendously (but I have an injury now that has me side-lined).
Being isolated is my worst habit, and it increases the problem exponentially. Added to that, I don't trust people. But it sounds like you can get out and about, have a family, and probably deal with a heck of a lot more "life stuff" than I do. So, in my opinion, you've got a tremendous advantage and some possible resources out there: namely, finding a few friends that you can trust enough to talk to about your concerns. They might surprise you with their own feelings of anxiety, etc. It helps me so much when I talk to my Significant Other. And when I had access to group therapy I really liked that too.. You might check your local media to see if there are any non-profit meetings for people with anxiety problems (often listed under general "Mental Health" groups) and other things like this.
Stay well and do post when you feel you need to.