Blogs


Notices

Detoxing off klonopin

Old 11-20-2015, 09:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 24
Detoxing off klonopin

Has anyone come off of about 2mg per day of klonopin? My doctor has me on a taper and just wondering what to expect. I've detoxed off of pain meds and that was bad enough. I hope I can manage my anxiety without them.
Isamybella is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Isamybella For This Useful Post:
BlueWisteria (11-21-2015), kzaug2014 (11-20-2015)
Old 11-20-2015, 10:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Member
 
kzaug2014's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Mi
Posts: 1,318
I was prescribed 2mgs klonopin/day for 10yrs., but I lost my doctor so I'm not sure what it feels like to taper. I read your other post & honestly, it sounds like very quick taper to me. Severity of withdrawals from benzos depends on the length of time someone takes them & also may differ from person to person. But heightened anxiety is a symptom most everyone feels during early recovery, regardless of which drug they're withdrawing off from.
Do you think you're doctor would consider tapering you a bit slower?
I wish I could tell you that detoxing is simple, but it's not. It takes time for your body & brain to bounce back...to heal. But you have support here hun. (( Hugs ))
kzaug2014 is offline  
Old 11-20-2015, 12:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 24
Kzaug, so you've tapered off klonopin or went cold turkey? How long did it take to go through the withdrawal process?
Isamybella is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Isamybella For This Useful Post:
kzaug2014 (11-20-2015)
Old 11-20-2015, 03:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Member
 
kzaug2014's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Mi
Posts: 1,318
Cold turkeyed it & withdrawals lasted a long time for me, but I was taking klonopin for 10yrs. How long have you been taking klonopin?
kzaug2014 is offline  
Old 11-20-2015, 05:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 24
I first was on Arivan for about 2 or 3 months and then I was switched over to klonopin and have been on it for about 9 months now.
Isamybella is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Isamybella For This Useful Post:
kzaug2014 (11-20-2015)
Old 11-20-2015, 05:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 24
Ativan*
Isamybella is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Isamybella For This Useful Post:
kzaug2014 (11-20-2015)
Old 11-20-2015, 08:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Member
 
kzaug2014's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Mi
Posts: 1,318
I'm sure you'll fare far better than I did, since you've only been on benzos for a yr & you're tapering a bit.
Keep posting! (( Hugs ))
kzaug2014 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to kzaug2014 For This Useful Post:
Isamybella (11-20-2015)
Old 11-20-2015, 08:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 600
There is a website that's a forum like SR called Surviving Antidepressants where people write about slow tapers of Benzos or Antidepressants. Always check with your doctor before making any changes to his or her recommendations.
LiveInPeace is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LiveInPeace For This Useful Post:
Isamybella (11-21-2015), kzaug2014 (11-21-2015)
Old 11-21-2015, 04:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Member
 
BlueWisteria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 47
Originally Posted by Isamybella View Post
Has anyone come off of about 2mg per day of klonopin? My doctor has me on a taper and just wondering what to expect. I've detoxed off of pain meds and that was bad enough. I hope I can manage my anxiety without them.
I detoxed from benzos cold turkey. I was prescribed 2mgs of klonopin per day and xanax also. Plus I had my own private stash of ativan and valium. Detox from benzos can be dangerous. It's worse than heroin. Follow the doctor's advice. I was in a detox center for the first 5 days. Truth is the professionals in this state detox would not tell me that there is a second detox on the 10th day with benzos. they did want to be liable. With cold turkey benzo detox there was severe hallucinations. disorientation and shaking. I woke up in the hospital and the medical professionals there told me I was in danger and needed to be tapered off so they put me back on klonopin and I relapsed two weeks later, my blood alcohol was over 460 and I was hospitalized and Baker Acted back to the previous state detox center. I tried telling the professionals there what had happened but they did want to be liable and the counselor was actually yelling at me saying that this was the biggest crock of crap that he ever heard in his life. I also knew this particular man from the AA rooms during my period of long term sobriety before relapsing. UNbelievable...
I now have over four years clean and sober.
Be very careful with benzos.
Meeting makers make it.
The meetings help a lot with anxiety.
2 weeks - no more severe detox.
30 days- huge
90 days - major milestone, clarity returning.
6 months - feeling a lot happier

It can take a year for benzos to completely leave the body.
Good luck, you are on the right track.
BlueWisteria is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueWisteria For This Useful Post:
Isamybella (11-21-2015), kzaug2014 (11-21-2015), paddyjnr1 (11-21-2015)
Old 11-21-2015, 05:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Ireland
Posts: 351
I once counseled an old guy who was on some sort of benzo for 10 years and also addiction to alcohol.
It varies from person to person but he had a rough ride and was given a 2 weeks taper, on week 10 it got too much so he took off, I remember how frightened and antisocial he was...
I really felt his pain.
Some go through a tough time but to others it can be quite bearable.
Lets hope to are the latter.
Don't give up, they will keep you monitored on the outside more so in most of the treatment centres where you have heroin addicts crawling the walls.
If it's not working speak up and tell them they will increase the taper.
paddyjnr1 is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paddyjnr1 For This Useful Post:
Isamybella (11-21-2015), kzaug2014 (11-21-2015)
Old 11-21-2015, 12:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 24
This sort of has me scared. My hubby works all day and I'm alone with my 4 year old daughter. If I had someone to care for her I'd put myself in the hospital through the detox and to be properly accessed and put on the right medication (non benzo) for my anxiety.
Isamybella is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Isamybella For This Useful Post:
kzaug2014 (11-21-2015)
Old 11-21-2015, 02:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Member
 
kzaug2014's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Mi
Posts: 1,318
Do you or your husband have friends or family that can help you out if you need it?
kzaug2014 is offline  
Old 11-21-2015, 02:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 600
Originally Posted by LiveInPeace View Post
There is a website that's a forum like SR called Surviving Antidepressants where people write about slow tapers of Benzos or Antidepressants. Always check with your doctor before making any changes to his or her recommendations.
I wish I could delete this post because after reading these new posts, I had no idea what benzo taper entails. Wow!! Very scary. Best to be under a doctor's care. Don't bother going to this website, I don't think there are doctors on it. I wish you all the best. Good luck.
LiveInPeace is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to LiveInPeace For This Useful Post:
kzaug2014 (11-21-2015)
Old 11-21-2015, 05:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Member
 
BlueWisteria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 47
In my experience a difficult benzo detox crisis situation doesn't come on suddenly.
It's the cold turkey detox that is the most dangerous.
Follow the doctor's instructions.
After the first two weeks the initial severe detox period should be passed.
I am not a medical professional but this my experience also based on the medical professionals who advised me.
BlueWisteria is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueWisteria For This Useful Post:
Isamybella (11-21-2015), kzaug2014 (11-21-2015)
Old 11-21-2015, 06:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 24
Originally Posted by kzaug2014 View Post
Do you or your husband have friends or family that can help you out if you need it?
I have my parents, but they're already taking care of my brothers 4 kids during the week while he works because their mom chose meth over them. So I would feel bad about asking them. Besides them there really isn't anyone else.
Isamybella is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Isamybella For This Useful Post:
kzaug2014 (11-21-2015)
Old 11-21-2015, 06:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 24
Originally Posted by BlueWisteria View Post
I detoxed from benzos cold turkey. I was prescribed 2mgs of klonopin per day and xanax also. Plus I had my own private stash of ativan and valium. Detox from benzos can be dangerous. It's worse than heroin. Follow the doctor's advice. I was in a detox center for the first 5 days. Truth is the professionals in this state detox would not tell me that there is a second detox on the 10th day with benzos. they did want to be liable. With cold turkey benzo detox there was severe hallucinations. disorientation and shaking. I woke up in the hospital and the medical professionals there told me I was in danger and needed to be tapered off so they put me back on klonopin and I relapsed two weeks later, my blood alcohol was over 460 and I was hospitalized and Baker Acted back to the previous state detox center. I tried telling the professionals there what had happened but they did want to be liable and the counselor was actually yelling at me saying that this was the biggest crock of crap that he ever heard in his life. I also knew this particular man from the AA rooms during my period of long term sobriety before relapsing. UNbelievable...
I now have over four years clean and sober.
Be very careful with benzos.
Meeting makers make it.
The meetings help a lot with anxiety.
2 weeks - no more severe detox.
30 days- huge
90 days - major milestone, clarity returning.
6 months - feeling a lot happier

It can take a year for benzos to completely leave the body.
Good luck, you are on the right track.
What do you mean that there is a second detox on the 10th day?
Isamybella is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Isamybella For This Useful Post:
kzaug2014 (11-21-2015)
Old 11-21-2015, 07:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Member
 
BlueWisteria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 47
I detoxed cold turkey from heavy long term(over 2 years) benzos.
On the 10th day there were severe hallucinations with a disorientated catatonic like state and more serious physical symptoms. 911 was called and I woke up in the hospital where the Dr. put me back on klonopin. The ER Dr. said the benzo detox was too dangerous, especially cold turkey. The medical professionals at the treatment center later told me about the second detox at 10 days where there can be another intense physical benzo detox episode.
If a person is being tapered off benzos this type of intense detox is less likely.
Definitely follow the doctor's advice.
BlueWisteria is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueWisteria For This Useful Post:
Isamybella (11-21-2015), kzaug2014 (11-21-2015)
Old 11-21-2015, 08:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 24
Thanks, Blue, for explaining that. I'm definitely not going cold turkey. It might not be a long drawn out taper, but hopefully it'll be safe enough. If I do start to feel weird or anything I'll definitely call the nurse, crisis line or go straight up to the hospital.
Isamybella is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Isamybella For This Useful Post:
kzaug2014 (11-21-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 01:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Ireland
Posts: 351
An old timer once said to me "The first thing you put before your sobriety is the next thing you lose" Reach out and ask for help, it's only 28days mostly in treatment centers and it will do you the world of good. Them god damn Benzos are the devil. Good luck to you my friend
paddyjnr1 is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paddyjnr1 For This Useful Post:
BlueWisteria (11-22-2015), kzaug2014 (11-22-2015)

Currently Active Users Viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:24 PM.