Notices

Detoxing from Benzos

Old 11-16-2015, 01:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Detoxing from Benzos

I have been on xanax for the last 3 weeks because of severe anxiety, suicidal thoughts and alcohol withdrawal.
I was prescribed 3mg per day 2x .5x 3 times daily.
On Saturday I took 4mgs as I found they weren't working as well, probably a tolerence issue and yesterday it went as far as 5mgs because I found out a good friend of mine had died and it was upsetting. So now I consider this self medicating which it truly is.
I'm nervous about tapering down because the 3mgs is isn't even holding me.
Should I tell my Doc as he wants to start reducing me today in case I get stuck on them.
I kinda get the feeling I am already stuck on them in this short space of time...
Is this normal??? What can i expect with the withdrawal???
Thanks guys
Old 11-16-2015, 05:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Paddy,I dunno much about Xanax but I've been on klonopin for 9 years,it still works and I've never had to increase it however I was put in a bind by a new doc in Feb who wanted to take me off rapidly, my withdrawal was mostly anxiety,insomnia,headaches,then I reinstated,I know Xanax is shorter acting and clears the system quicker but 3 weeks isn't that long on them,the best bet is to talk to the.doctor,bbenzos aren't something to play around with,I wish you all the best😊
Old 11-16-2015, 10:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Winslow View Post
Hi Paddy,I dunno much about Xanax but I've been on klonopin for 9 years,it still works and I've never had to increase it however I was put in a bind by a new doc in Feb who wanted to take me off rapidly, my withdrawal was mostly anxiety,insomnia,headaches,then I reinstated,I know Xanax is shorter acting and clears the system quicker but 3 weeks isn't that long on them,the best bet is to talk to the.doctor,bbenzos aren't something to play around with,I wish you all the best😊
Hi Winslow, I just came from my GP and he has agreed to leave me on stated dose until Friday.
He is then going to reduce it to 2x .5 mgs twice a day for one week and then 1 x.5mg once a day for following week.
I told him I felt my tolerance building up on the dose I'm on now and he said they are a great drug for short term but very dangerous long term.
My Housemate has agreed to hold my meds and dispense them when i'm tapering as i'm afraid i might not be able to do it myself.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Paddy,
It sounds like you have a great gp. When I 1st started on benzos, I was prescribed xanax & like you, I built up a tolerance very quickly. But when I told myself doctor that, he switched me to klonopin & I stayed on that for 10yrs. I wish my doctor had told me that benzos were not meant to be a long term solution.
I think you'll be fine, w/only 3wks of use. Take care.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kzaug2014 View Post
Hi Paddy,
It sounds like you have a great gp. When I 1st started on benzos, I was prescribed xanax & like you, I built up a tolerance very quickly. But when I told myself doctor that, he switched me to klonopin & I stayed on that for 10yrs. I wish my doctor had told me that benzos were not meant to be a long term solution.
I think you'll be fine, w/only 3wks of use. Take care.
Hi Kzaug, yes he is really good and says that i'm the longest he has left on Benzos because he feared I was going through such a rough time, the first week or so I felt like I found Nirvana but that only last for a short time.
Benzos really are like alcohol in a pill when abused but the withdrawals can be far more serious than Alcohol but strangely enough they are the only thing i find that help with withdrawal, a bit like fighting fire with fire.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yup, I don't really count my sober time till I took my last librium in detox. Just my take. I still did not feel right for about 4 days and only took them for 3. Mixed feelings. Grateful to be sober but don't want to do That again. Get a taper schedule from yer doc. There are other meds for anxiety and other stress-reducing techniques that involve no meds. Seek them out. Really--peace.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zombob View Post
Yup, I don't really count my sober time till I took my last librium in detox. Just my take. I still did not feel right for about 4 days and only took them for 3. Mixed feelings. Grateful to be sober but don't want to do That again. Get a taper schedule from yer doc. There are other meds for anxiety and other stress-reducing techniques that involve no meds. Seek them out. Really--peace.
Yes Zombob , I tend to agree with you because I also feel when I am on a mood altering substance it takes from my spiritual well being which is the core of sobriety but unfortunately my state of mind was so bad at the time I had go on them.
Once I can get a period of time without alcohol which is my main drug of choice, I should be ok,
My psych has set up some anxiety reducing classes and an addiction counselling sessions which i have one today.
I have always felt mood altering substances ie. Benzos, Valium etc was a bit like switching seats on the Titanic so i hope to be off them soon.
That been said they are a marvelous drug when used temporarily for those of us who worry themselves into a suicidal state.
I am one week clean from alcohol today.