Notices

Fear

Old 01-26-2016, 08:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fear

Sobriety has been one of the most rewarding things I have experienced in my life. I have worked the steps, sponsored,made friends grown spiritually etc. However, I have had one issue that I just can't seem to beat. As silly as it sounds I can't bring myself to go to the doctor. I have been sober almost five years and going to the doctor is the one thing I wanted to do that I can't seem to make happen. I have made appointments and when I get there I can't seem to go in. I become so filled with fear I feel like I need to dial 911 for help. I don't get it but it happens. I have done everything I know to overcome this issue but it never fails that I always backout. I have no issues health wise but I think at my middle age I should go. Also, I have to admit it is rather difficult to discuss step 6 when I know I'm kinda full of crap. At least when it comes to this Dr fear. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think I have turned it over so well. Has anyone had this issue and overcome it? If so can I get some pointers. I would really like to get past this nonsense. Thank you in advance and I hope I have posted this in the correct forum.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
How about having your sponsor or a recovery friend take you to the appointment and sit with you? I'm sure they'd understand.

Going to dentists and doctors is something that I continue to struggle with in recovery, when I was drinking they always had bad news! But what I'm still discovering is that for the most part (other than a dental filling or root canal now and then) I get very positive results and my health is good or I'll get an indicator that I need to make a change in diet or other health to increase my lifespan.

Taking care of the vessels we've been blessed with is part of the deal, right?
Old 01-27-2016, 05:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't have any advice, but I share this fear.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't have this fear but at 45 or so I was told I had high blood pressure and prescribed medication to deal with it. High blood pressure can kill you. I also had high cholesterol and got medication for that. It is good now, another thing that, can kill you.

I may not be helping here, sorry but it really is important to go and get checked out.

I don't know how to tell you to go about it, just that it is important you find a way.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yea. It's very important that I go. That's what baffles me. I know what's best and I always back out. I've backed out twice on appointments that I have friends willing to go with me. I sure am an unique individual! Lol. I remember when I desperately wanted to stop drinking and couldn't. I felt like I would have to be locked away to stop. Luckily I was able to find a way. I sure need to find a way with this deal before I am forced.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My father was a chain smoker at 79 and quit, after emergency heart surgery and 4 weeks of being in a physical recovery center.

He is 85 now and doing ok.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Have you tried CBT ( cognitive behavioral therapy ) Soberdawg?

That's great Blacky! Gives me hope!
Old 01-28-2016, 09:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have bad anxiety in medical settings, dentists, orthodontists, etc. I just don't let it stop me. I have to face the fear. Most of the appointments have been easy and comfortable. It's just me sitting in the chair, shifting a little, sweating a little, but otherwise appearing normal. I'm sure if someone looked closely enough they might see that I'm nervous and afraid, but in most cases, it's a private room (except at the ortho), and if people are watching too closely, they're just being nosy and rude, and that's on them.

It's taken me a few years to get to the point of conquering my fears. I had to get sober in order to do it. And years ago, when I was 18-19 I suffered from panic disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, and social phobia. I used Lucinda Bassett's (Midwest Center for Anxiety) program to overcome the majority of my panic issues. I took a year out of school at the time in order to work on it. One of the best things I did to help myself.

What it came down to is that I wasn't going to let my fear make me a prisoner. There's a way out, and you have to find what works for you. Slowly and steadily exposing myself to the things I feared, in a nonjudgmental way, with patience, was key.

Just two weeks ago I had major surgery on my jaw. I had been working up to this for ten years. It was a huge undertaking, and a life goal, and as it turns out, an empowering life-changing experience. If I can do this, you can overcome your fears. It might take longer than you'd like, but you can get there.