Notices

PTSD and DIDNOS... I am really scared

Old 08-30-2004, 05:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sparkling hazeleyes

PTSD and DIDNOS... Scared... Please HELP!

This weekend has been kind of hard for me. After leaving the facility for PTSD, I went to see my therapist. We discussed DIDNOS, and I told him my fears. He called out to one of my alters, and she responded. I was present, but felt very dazed. It scared the %$#@ out of me! I am only aware of two parts so far. My therapist describes me and my parts as kissing cousins. What does all of this mean? Will I recover or will I always have parts like this? Will I get worse? Will this be passed on to my children? I am so scared... HELP!.

Hazeleyes
Old 08-30-2004, 07:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
sparkling hazeleyes

Please... is there anyone online right now who knows about DIDNOS. I am really anxious right now. Please HELP!
Old 08-30-2004, 08:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Castaway

Hi SadHazeleyes,
I don't know exactly what DIDNOS is either except that it sounds like it stands for dissociative identity disorder. I hope someone that knows about it comes online for you soon. My prayers are with you.
Sandy
Old 08-30-2004, 08:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Hi Hazeleyes,

There is nothing to fear. The fact that you are aware that one of your alters answered the therapist is a good sign.

When you go through childhood trauma sometimes it's so bad that your mind separates a part of you to deal with the trauma. It's the way you survived it. It would be like you watching someone else go through it for you. Then that gets blocked and forgotten. When you start facing the issues the alter starts surfacing. As soon as you face things you begin to integrate and become one again. Now those are simple terms from me and not at all professional sounding, but that's it in a nut shell. It's not something that's passed on. It is caused by trauma.

Old 08-30-2004, 11:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sad..I understand it the way that MG tells it. I am so glad that you are working with a therapist.
See if she can also answer some of these questions for you as well. Don't be afraid to ask. Can you tell me exactly what the DIDNO stands for so that I am sure I am right??
God Bless..you have all of our prayers...
HOPE2055
Old 08-30-2004, 05:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
sparkling hazeleyes

Hi Hope,
Thanks for responding. DIDNOS stands for dissociative disorder(s) not otherwise specified. I have not been diagnosed yet, but my therapist was able to pull one of my alters out. I am so anxious right now and scared. I feel like I am in a bad dream. First I find out that I have PTSD, and now I might have this too.

Both of parents were alcoholics, probably my entire life. My Dad still doesn't admit that he has a problem, and my Mom passed away two years ago from a terminal illness. I hate ALCOHOL!!! See how damaging alcohol can be? I sometimes wish I was never born.

Hazeleyes

Originally Posted by Hope2055
Sad..I understand it the way that MG tells it. I am so glad that you are working with a therapist.
See if she can also answer some of these questions for you as well. Don't be afraid to ask. Can you tell me exactly what the DIDNO stands for so that I am sure I am right??
God Bless..you have all of our prayers...
HOPE2055
Old 08-30-2004, 05:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
sparkling hazeleyes

Thank you, MG, for your response. I am so glad to here that I may be whole some day. I have heard that some people never integrate because they like having their parts. That scares me a little, because I have always been this way, but never knew that I had them. I guess they just became more develop over the past three years. When am I going to wake up from this nightmare?

Hazeleyes
Originally Posted by Morning Glory
Hi Hazeleyes,

There is nothing to fear. The fact that you are aware that one of your alters answered the therapist is a good sign.

When you go through childhood trauma sometimes it's so bad that your mind separates a part of you to deal with the trauma. It's the way you survived it. It would be like you watching someone else go through it for you. Then that gets blocked and forgotten. When you start facing the issues the alter starts surfacing. As soon as you face things you begin to integrate and become one again. Now those are simple terms from me and not at all professional sounding, but that's it in a nut shell. It's not something that's passed on. It is caused by trauma.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
sparkling hazeleyes

Thanks for your prayers, Sandy. God bless.
Originally Posted by Sandy Marie
Hi SadHazeleyes,
I don't know exactly what DIDNOS is either except that it sounds like it stands for dissociative identity disorder. I hope someone that knows about it comes online for you soon. My prayers are with you.
Sandy
Old 08-30-2004, 07:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hazel Eyes...
Love you girl...
Try to take this one day at a time, one minute at a time.
It is alot to contemplate and alot to have on your plate.
Stay in the moment, we are here for you.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Sad,
I am new to the board and came across your post. I am not a therapist, at least not yet. =) I am working on my MSW at Michigan State. I have a very close friend who is diagnosed with DID. She had 15 alters when I first met her 5 years ago. Today, through integration and a lot of therapy, she is down to 9. When I was completing my undergrad degree at the University of Michigan, as a graduation requirement we had to complete a thesis. My was on the efficacy of treatment for DID. You were told that you and your parts (alters) are "kissing cousins". I am surprised this wasn't explained to you. Without trying to read your therapist's mind, I am guessing that he meant that you and your alters are almost identical with some small differences. I will try my best to explain what I mean by differences. Your alter serves the purpose of a coping mechanism. They were formed as a way to escape the trauma that you endured. Each alter, if you have more than one, has a job. Some alters are considered protectors and others come out when a certain situation is a trigger. For my friend, she had a specific alter that would come out when she would have to go shopping. She was unable to cope with the stress of having to figure out a list, a budget, and most importantly the crowds at the store. There is a wonderful book that you can buy at Borders or order online through Amazon called the Dissociative Identity Sourcebook. I want to say it was around 20 bucks. It's on my desk at work and I will post the author tomorrow. It is very helpful explaining what DID is and treatments. You won't pass it on to your children genetically. But I recommend involving them in your treatment if they are old enough. The most important thing is that you are treatment.