Notices

I'm living Benzo free

Old 11-05-2015, 11:12 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Winslow View Post
I've been on 1 mg of klono for about 9 years,I tried tapering in Feb due to a new doctor not "believing" in prescribing benzos,got to .75 for a month then a new doc put me back on 1 mg,yes I've drank on them through the years too,I want off but I still have anxiety issues and am scared of dealing with it,I cut hair for a living and a shakey hand is not a good attribute, hope its ok I posted here😊
I've been using Xanax (prescription) for about a decade. My new doc is working on slowly tapering me off those meds. In place of the Xanax, I'm being switched over to Gabapentin. The switch will occur over a few months. However, I do feel better already as the Gabapentin is taken 3 times a day and is longer lasting than the Xanax.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:50 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Can't believe I forgot about gabapentin lol. Yep, the rehab gave that to me too ( & so did my doctor. )
I quit taking it 2mos ago & I'm happy to report...absolutely no withdrawals!
Glad to hear you're tapering off xanax, Sizzle!
Welcome to SR!
Old 11-06-2015, 05:04 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Thanks for the info,what I'm attempting to do is taper off without any other meds,my friend tapered off klonopin but they put her on beta blockers, seroquel,paxil,something else too, I don't wanna take that many meds,but if I feel I need something I'll ask the doc,I feel tired,I remember last time I was tired too,kinda wired but tired,please keep posting here,there'sreally not much ssupport on the internet for benzo withdrawal, except benzobuddies and some of those horror stories freak me out!
Old 11-06-2015, 08:39 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Hey Winslow,
I think it's awesome that you're trying to taper w/o any other meds!

Both my hubs & I were prescribed seroquel & paxil in the past ( in addition to the klonopin I was already on. )
My hubs was 1st prescribed paxil & it's turned him into a complete monster. He went from being the most loving man on earth to the meanest, uncaring sob on earth. I put up w/it for a Mo. & then told him to quit that med or pack a bag. I really thought he would choose to pack a bag, based on his uncaring behaviour lol. But the "real him" must have been in there somewhere, because he chose to stay.

What's funny is yrs later when my doctor put me on paxil, I didn't even remember that was the same antidepressant that my hubs had been on. Major side effect of klonopin ( & the opiates I was on ) for me was my horrible memory ugh. Thank goodness my memory came back eventually after I quit the drugs.
I was only on paxil for a wk because it made me feel nothing...happy, sad, angry, nada! I'm a lightweight w/meds, so I feel the effects quickly & having no emotions whatsoever was as bad as being depressed for me.
I realize what works for 1 person may not work for another. Everyone's DNA is different.
Seroquel was another nightmare because some idiot doctor prescribed 300mgs, then 600mgs, finally 900mgs to my hubs. Seriously? 900mgs? Yep!
Problem was, my hubs really liked seroquel, so it wasn't as easy getting off that med lol. He finally did though.
I really liked seroquel too ( I was only prescribed 100mgs though. ) But I gained 10lbs/mo, 3mos in a row, so I quit.

When I started seeing my new doctor ( after rehab ) I told her I didn't want any narcotics prescribed to me ( or anything addicting, for that matter. )

I think the horror stories about benzo withdrawal are from people who had to quit cold turkey.
When I lost my doctor last yr., I made an appt w/former doctor ( who had prescribed methadone, norco & klonopin to me in the past. ) So I didn't think I needed to wean ( biggg mistake lol. ) My appt w/him was 1 day before I ran out of meds. He explained to me that He couldn't prescribe my meds because he worked for a different medical provider.
I freaked! Plus my mother was in the hospital dying ( she passed 4 days later. ) The 1st time I did heroin was the day of her funeral ( I was to give her eulogy & was having horrendous withdrawals. )
Well, that's a bit of my story.
No worries, I'll keep posting.
I hope you have a good day.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:47 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

3 rd day of cutting klono by 1/4,woke up a little anxious but nothing I can't handle, sleep was a little ******(are we allowed to cuss here?)but I'm an insomniac anyways,see how it goes😁
Old 11-07-2015, 06:48 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I guess no cussing allowed haha,sorry
Old 11-07-2015, 09:04 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

You're doing great Winslow! And it's probably a safe bet that sleep's going to be ****** for awhile lol! SR has an insomnia forum if you ever wanna talk about it. I don't suffer from insomnia ( except during the withdrawals ) so I wouldn't be much help. Have a great day!

How's your taper going, Sizzle?
Old 11-07-2015, 02:35 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Hi! I've taken xanax on and off for the pasy 3 years but it wasnt until six months or so that I've been taking .25 or .5 every night before bed. I guess I didn't realize how addictive they are and the withdrawals sound awful. I am going to my doctor next to tell him what I've been doing ( they were prescribed to take only for panic attacks). Want to try to taper. Hearing these withdrawal stories terrifies me. Just wuit drinking too. But I did take the xanax a few times when drinking. Praying a lot! I am so scared!
Old 11-07-2015, 03:06 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Hi Sharon,talking to your doctor is a.goof first step😁 I just quit drinking too for the 5,000th time and now I'm trying to taper klonopin,today has been rougher than I expected,however I'm overly tired,newly sober,pms'ing and had astupid SStarbucks today,so of course it's a rough one,grr,have a good one and keep us posted😊
Old 11-07-2015, 03:07 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

*good first step haha
Old 11-07-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Sorry you're not feeling well, Winslow. I feel so stressed already... I think I'm freaking myself out about it reading so many horror stories of withdrawal all over the internet. .... hope u feeling better soon.. keep me posted.
Old 11-07-2015, 03:39 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Quit booze 6 months ago after about 15 years of 1 gallon of hard stuff a month. Did it on my own, no Dr., no benzos etc.

Just God, the internet, and SR. Went to about 5 AA meetings. SR was better for me. My AA experience seemed a bit clicky. But, I have a problem w clicks.

I still freak out a bit dealing w the world w a clean mind. But, I am in a way better place mentally and physically then I was 6 months ago. It has gotten better each day. There is absolutely no doubt about it.

Just do it. Be proud of sobriety. Booze and benzos are govt sanctioned poisons.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:36 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Congrats D122y on your sobriety! I am only 8 days sober... now I want to get off benzos... i've been reading it's a tough process... on nights I didn't drink I would take a xanax. Not good. It's funny tho, my husband has been sober since 1998 and went to rehab and I was sober too, but a few years ago I started with an occasional glass of wine ...and you know how that goes. It's wonderful to hear your story. I know there's hope and a better sober life!
Old 11-07-2015, 08:31 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hi Sharon5,
I think the horror stories are from people like me, who quit cold turkey ( and in addition to withdrawing from opiates too. ) So, tapering won't be as hard, I promise. But, no withdrawals are a piece of cake. But the rewards of living clean are awesome! Glad to have you aboard!

Winslow...a Starbucks? Really?
I'm sorry you had a rough day. But you're doing great! Do you know how long you're going to be at 1/4 cut? Remember, slow & steady.

D122y, congrats on 6mos! That's super! You & I have very similar approaches towards sobriety. I used the internet for info, SR for support & God for everything!
Old 11-08-2015, 10:50 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I'm guessing I'll stick with this first cut for 2 weeks,see how it goes,I think a lot of the horror stories are true,however I also think that some of those people are paranoid about every little thing,there was one poster who would cut one .5 tablet into 8 piles of dust and lick the dust to taper,to me that's just insane thinking, every ache,runny nose,headache,etc is not necessarily benzo withdrawal related,hope everyone is having a lovely Sunday
Old 11-08-2015, 05:35 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Hey Winslow,
Someone actually split 1/2mg 8x's??? Crazy is right lol. That's has to some kind of "bia or iac" lol, just not sure which one.
I had a great day today. We had our grandson over this wkend & basically just goofed off.
How did your Sunday go?
Old 11-09-2015, 12:13 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Hi -- Just wanted to drop in say I'm doing well -- just basically a foggy head .. I cut my .5 Xanax dosage to .375 for the past few days. Made an appointment with the doctor for tomorrow to discuss tapering. I cannot read stories on the internet about people quitting Xanax. It's so upsetting to me. Winslow, you are right, benzobuddies does freak you out!.... scares the crap out of me ... as long as I don't read, I'm OK. This is the best site to hang out at!

How are you doing Winslow?

KZ, glad you had a great Sunday with your grandson!

Hope everyone is having a great sober, benzo free (soon) day!

Sharon
Old 11-09-2015, 02:27 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I have been benzo free for over 4 years. The detox was brutal.
Cold turkey from long term high doses of xanax, klonopin, ativan and valium.
Worse than heroin. Grateful to be clean and sober.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:51 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Ty Sharon!
When I 1st got clean, I could barely formulate a rational thought lol. So, fuzziness is completely normal. Irritating, but completely normal lol. Post anytime you want, k?
BlueWisteria, did your doctor prescribe all 4 of those benzos at the same time?
Old 11-09-2015, 03:39 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

One Dr. prescribed xanax, klonopin, vicodin, and lexapro. All in very high amounts.
Ridiculous! Over 6000 mgs of tylenol per day in the vicodin. Seriously.
Enough to kill a person. Total incomprehensible demoralization.