Notices

I'm living Benzo free

Old 12-09-2015, 05:26 PM
  # 241 (permalink)  

The test I had performed was done by GeneSight. There are a few companies doing it. Ask your P-doc about it at your next visit. The test is covered by many insurance companies since it will cut down on the "trial-and-error" cycle of going through medications that don't work. Even if the insurance company doesn't cover it, the highest out-of-pocket fee for the test would just be $300. The actual test runs over $3,000. In my case, my P-doc had my results within 72 hours of completing the swab collection on me.

I'm not endorsing this company in any way, but am happy with what I was able to find out. Here is their link: https://genesight.com/patients/
Old 12-10-2015, 01:19 PM
  # 242 (permalink)  

Last wkend, we went to our storage place to get our Christmas tree and decorations. I didn't realize exactly how much Christmas decor I had...15 18gal Rubbermaid totes full! Yikes lol. I don't even remember buying all that stuff lol.

So that's what I've been doing all wk, going through tub after tub. I decided to auction off a lot of it because I just don't have room for all it. It amazes me how I accumulated so much w/out realizing it. In my defense, I didn't pack any it away last because I still in withdrawals. And I've learned my lesson. For every 1 of anything buy, I need to rid myself of 1 item.

How's everyone doing today? (( Hugs ))
Old 12-10-2015, 04:17 PM
  # 243 (permalink)  

15 days without alcohol. 3 days with no Ativan. Wow!

I had a good night of sleep. Still sweating a little bit (even though I turned the heater off in my bedroom and it's freezing in there!), but I only woke up once and went back to sleep right away.

Today I'm feeling a little better. I had some anxiety in the morning but not as bad as yesterday. I couldn't go for a walk because our roads are so icy! But I did a bit of snow shoveling...only 10 minutes and I run out of energy but it made me feel good.

I also managed to eat breakfast, some eggs on toast. First breakfast I've had in weeks!

I know what you mean kzaug, I'm the same with clothes. I used to buy a lot of stuff and then I got too depressed and never wore it, it was easier to wear the same 2 or 3 t-shirts all week long

How's everybody doing?
Old 12-10-2015, 05:02 PM
  # 244 (permalink)  

Patricia,
I'm soooo proud of you! You're doing an awesome job!
Sleeping, eating and exercise! That's fantabulous!

I just noticed your from Canada lol. I just realized it when you said shoveling snow. It was 59° today where I live. Almost felt like summer lol!

I was the same w/clothing, toiletries ( mainly perfume, bath stuff & hair products ) and antiques! Yikes lol! When I was in active addiction, I had no self control when it came to shopping. My checks would gone before I even got them ugh. I'm sure glad I've gotten my spending in check now.

(( Hugs )) to everyone!
Old 12-10-2015, 05:51 PM
  # 245 (permalink)  

Great job Patricia😊!! My taper is still slow going,I just hate anxiety and the insomnia that I'm plagued with, grrr,I'm scared of getting too anxious and running back to booze which in my case is the worse of the two but at least I am making some progress,its supposed to get cold here tomorrow and rain,not sure if I'm glad about that or what,have a good one peeps😊
Old 12-10-2015, 07:06 PM
  # 246 (permalink)  

I think you're doing great too, Winslow!
How long sober now?
What's sucks is insomnia makes anxiety worse & visa versa ugh! I hope you start sleeping better soon.
We're suppose to get rain on Sunday & I sure hope we do ( w/thunder too! ) I love thunderstorms!
We're not doing anything on Sunday, except watching the Lions game. I'm a huge Lions fan, though it's tough going a lot lol. I even got my hubs into watching football this yr.! Yay!

(( Hugs )) to everyone!
Old 12-10-2015, 11:42 PM
  # 247 (permalink)  
Do your best

You guys are awesome
Old 12-11-2015, 04:25 AM
  # 248 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by kzaug2014 View Post
Last wkend, we went to our storage place to get our Christmas tree and decorations. I didn't realize exactly how much Christmas decor I had...15 18gal Rubbermaid totes full! Yikes lol. I don't even remember buying all that stuff lol.
I will never complain again about my wife having around 6-50gal Rubbermaid totes of decorations!
Old 12-11-2015, 07:56 AM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Astro View Post
I will never complain again about my wife having around 6-50gal Rubbermaid totes of decorations!
Lol! There's always something to be thankful about, Astro! Hehe!
Old 12-11-2015, 08:21 AM
  # 250 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kzaug2014 View Post
I was able to sell off and clean out a lot of items from my storage unit. I figured for the $100 each month in rent, I could rent a lot of tools for the $1,200 each year I'd save. In the divorce, I walked away from 95% of the house items because I didn't have any connection to them. Now, I'm paring down even further and selling off items that I haven't used in 6 months. I might even make it to the point of where all my possessions could fit in my backpack so I could just hop on the motorcycle and ride into the sunset. Love freedom.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:40 AM
  # 251 (permalink)  

That's great Sizzle! I know what you mean. I've spent thousands over the yrs on storage units ugh! My goal is to auction off everything in my unit by next summer. It will keep me busy this winter. Our guest bedroom is also overrun with stuff. I went through all my clothing this past summer & Omgosh! There were cloths that haven't seen the light of day in probably 5yrs. Yikes lol! I donated at least 1 large box full/wk. for a couple of mo's. ( I still need to get rid of more. )
You're right, the freedom of paring down...way down, is great! I love it!
Have a great day! (( Hugs ))
Old 12-12-2015, 08:48 AM
  # 252 (permalink)  

How are you guys doing today? I've got a busy day, but I'll check back tonight. (( Hugs ))
Old 12-12-2015, 09:54 AM
  # 253 (permalink)  

Feeling a little better today, getting ready to go for a walk

How are you guys feeling?
Old 12-12-2015, 03:03 PM
  # 254 (permalink)  

It's sounds like you're doing great Patricia!
I had a very strange day. My kids grandma ( my ex husband's mom ) passed away & they had a gathering at her house today. I'll tell you about it tomorrow. Tonight is girls night out w/my 2 daughters. We're going bowling. I haven't been bowling in a hundred yrs lol!
(( Hugs ))
Old 12-13-2015, 08:05 AM
  # 255 (permalink)  

Good morning!

Feeling a little better today. I've been taking valerian supplements for the past 2 days and my sleep is so much better!

I noticed lots of body aches, nothing major though, it just feels like the day after going to the gym. I wonder if that's also a withdrawal symptom?

Have a great day everybody!
Old 12-13-2015, 03:20 PM
  # 256 (permalink)  

Hey all,this is hard! I feel psychology dependant on klonopin as well as physical,grr,it wasn't as hard before,I think that the added Christmas stress is making the taper more unbearable and I've been reading horror stories of going off too fast and having 2 years of withdrawal symptoms popping up, I know I shouldn't be reading that stuff anyways, you guys sound good though, I'm ok just not super great
Old 12-13-2015, 08:38 PM
  # 257 (permalink)  

I left benzobudies for that reason Winslow, some of the stories freaked me out! Remember that everybody is different and heal different.

Is your sleep any better? I know I can get really discouraged when I don't get proper sleep. I've been taking valerian supplements for the last couple of days and it's helping a lot. But check with your doctor first because valerian is a sedative and I'm not sure if you can take it while you're tapering.

Hope you feel better!
Old 12-14-2015, 09:14 AM
  # 258 (permalink)  

Hi guys,
Winslow, plz quit reading those withdrawal horror stories. That would be like a rape victim watching the movie, The Accused ( Jodie Foster movie where she gets raped on the pinball game ) over and over again.

I know I just talked about this past wk., but I want to really emphasize this point. The "Sticky" entitled Emotional Memory Management at the top of the Anxiety Forum talks about how memory has 2 parts. 1st, the memory itself. 2nd, the emotions attached to this memory when it occurred.
Now you have these withdrawal stories in your memory. The good news is you have 90-120 seconds to think of a happy memory before the anxiety of those stories hits you ( great times had w/your husband, kids, your grandchild or pets. )

Both times I detoxed, I never researched recovery methods like ODAAT, AV, ect. I didn't know anything about NA or Rational Recovery. I only joined SR when my suboxine withdrawals seemed to be lasting a lot longer than I thought they should. And that lead to my true recovery.

When I returned home from rehab last yr., I basically laid on the couch for a couple of mo's, waiting to feel better. But, the main thought running in my head the entire time was...next yr., I'm going to feel great! I truly believe that positive thinking & attitude is what got me through.

My attitude wasn't always positive. Truth be told, the glass was always half empty for the majority of my life. But somewhere in the back of my head, I did believe in the power of positive thinking. I just never applied it because I pretty much partied from my late teens to last yr. And the alcohol & drugs clouded my mind. My brain was basically disabled.

Are you still at .25mg's? I know your worried about anxiety during Christmas. But I would recommend going to your doctor after the holidays to talk to him/her about finishing your taper. I'm not sure if .25 or .125 is the end of a taper, but your doc will know.

People should not cold turkey benzos if at all possible, but I also learned that prolonging a benzo taper too long also prolongs the anxiety & other withdrawal symptoms, like insomnia. You may want to schedule a couple of wks off from work when you finish your taper. I realize that people don't want to time off work ( for financial reasons mainly. ) But, I think that someone's long term well being and happiness should be priority #1. How else can we succeed in life?

Patricia, I'm so happy that you're doing well! It seems like you're a bit better every time you post.
Yes, aches & pains are a withdrawal symptom. But, they're also a symptom of growing older for some. When we self medicated, we masked any physical symptoms we may have had & only realize it after getting clean/sober.
I'm not saying that you'll have aches and pains forever, because some peeps are healthy as horses at our age.
The good news is that w/exercise & a good diet, we can be as healthy as we want to be. Even me lol. I worked on getting clean in 2014 & 2015. Next yr., I'm going to concentrate on getting in shape & strengthening my mind & self confidence!

Big (( Hugs )) to everyone!
Old 12-14-2015, 04:36 PM
  # 259 (permalink)  

Hey all,its about to get rough! Called for a doc appointment today,found out my Dr.left! This is the second time this has happened without so much as a heads up,thanks a lot,so anyways I have an appointment on Tues with whoever and I'm wondering what is gonna go down,Kzaug,I wish I was at that low of a dose,I'm at 1 mg still with a tinychunk bit off😠 this is so dumb,wish u never would have listened to the first doc who told me to take them,wish I never would have updosed,jeez
Old 12-14-2015, 04:58 PM
  # 260 (permalink)  

Winslow - don't reminisce about the past. Stay right here, in today.
I see this happening more and more , the doctors leaving part.
I'd hope with you already doing well on a taper that the new person
wouldn't change anything.
Any chance you can print out the Ashton Method just in case you run into
a problem?
NO doctor is supposed to cut a long term benzo user off. It can be deadly to quit cold. Their supposed to have guidelines now in place.
If they don't want to deal with a taper or consider a person a liability they just dismiss them from the practice.

Honestly? I'd think as postive as you can about this and assume since you are making headway in so many areas, that no one would want you to have it any worse than you've had. (trying to makes some sense....am just exhausted laterly)

hang in there....and don't read those horror stories! I've been there....it really messed my head up till I got far away from those places.

Kzauge - loved your last post about changing the way we hold/process memories!

Patricia! I'm so happy you're doing so well!

Hiya Sizzle!