Notices

I'm living Benzo free

Old 12-07-2015, 03:21 PM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Hey guys, how are you all feeling?

My depression is starting to lift. I've battled depression my entire life. 11yrs ago, my doc put me on Zoloft & it works pretty well for me. I still get down from time to time, but nothing deliberating like in the early yrs.

Someone I know died from a heroin overdose this past wk., so I'm sure that's why I felt so melancholy lately.

I hope you guys doing okay. (( Hugs ))
Old 12-07-2015, 03:45 PM
  # 222 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're feeling better kzaug!
I'm not doing very well today...PMS
I'm not sure how to handle these crazy hormones, I'm 47 and the mood swings are killing me!
((hugs))
Old 12-07-2015, 04:29 PM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Hi Patricia,
Yea, PMS mood swings are the worst. I can always tell when my monthly arrives because the day before I feel mean as a rattlesnake. I always just tell my hubs to ignore me lol.
You know, for yrs., I thought I was perimenopausal. Hot flashes and night sweats were the worst! My doc even put me on the pill. Then I quit opiates & those symptoms disappeared! My mother sweated profusely throughout her entire life & I thought it just ran in the family. I didn't put 2 & 2 together until I quit drugs. She had been on opiates and benzos her entire life. My bff said her sweating went away too after quitting opiates. What puzzles me though is why didn't my doctor know this???

I'm sure benzos aren't good for PMS either. (( Hugs ))
Old 12-07-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Wow! I thought I was perimenopausal too! The worst symptoms happened when I was on Paxil. I stopped taking them 5 years ago and the sweats got better. But since I started on benzos they came back. All this time I thought it was my hormones!
Old 12-07-2015, 07:35 PM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Yep, it's the drugs. Just amazing the doctors don't seem to know this! I recently got a new doc & he's quite young. I think I'll tell him about this when I see him next. He loves that I don't want to be prescribed any narcotics. He jokingly asked me to talk to his other patients lol.
(( Hugs ))
Old 12-08-2015, 06:19 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Hey all,I'm pms'ing too!! It definitely adds to the anxiety and irritated moods! I am a grouch before,duringand after though,have a headache so off to llook for Advil, hope we all have a great day😊
Old 12-08-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you're feeling grouchy Winslow! This month my grouchiness only lasted one day, but I'm feeling really depressed. I can't stop thinking that I have to do the same routine every day, day after day, even Christmas is the same ole same ole...and I keep making myself sad thinking that this is going to be like this forever.

Old 12-08-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Hi guys,
Winslow, I hope your pms passes quickly.
Patricia, is there anything you can change so it doesn't feel like the same 'll, same 'ol? Maybe takes walks, join a club or league like pool or bowling? Join an art or pottery class. Or maybe a yoga class? Just a few suggestions to try & help change your routine.
(( Hugs ))
Old 12-08-2015, 07:12 PM
  # 229 (permalink)  

There are a few classes I like, I just can't seem to find the motivation
Old 12-09-2015, 08:20 AM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Depression is such a vicious merry go round. The more depressed we get, the more we loose interest in doing anything.
But we are the only ones that can change this cycle. When we feel like doing nothing but lounging on the couch all day, we must force ourselves to get up & do something...anything. I think 1 of the easiest things to do is walking. It's proven that exercise elevates our moods.
It really works...when I keep busy & get things accomplished, I'm in a much better mood than when I sit around all day doing nothing.
The goal I've set for myself is to keep busy around my house for a minimum of 4hrs/day ( cleaning, reorganizing drawers and cupboards, projects & in Jan., I plan on painting my entire house from top to bottom. )
I have RA & Fibro, so it takes me longer than your average, healthy person. But, I've found that keeping busy also helps to keep my body from stiffening up. So, exercise benefits both my body & my brain.

How are you guys doing today?
(( Hugs ))
Old 12-09-2015, 08:58 AM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kzaug2014 View Post
Depression is such a vicious merry go round. The more depressed we get, the more we loose interest in doing anything.
But we are the only ones that can change this cycle. When we feel like doing nothing but lounging on the couch all day, we must force ourselves to get up & do something...anything. I think 1 of the easiest things to do is walking. It's proven that exercise elevates our moods.
It really works...when I keep busy & get things accomplished, I'm in a much better mood than when I sit around all day doing nothing.
The goal I've set for myself is to keep busy around my house for a minimum of 4hrs/day ( cleaning, reorganizing drawers and cupboards, projects & in Jan., I plan on painting my entire house from top to bottom. )
I have RA & Fibro, so it takes me longer than your average, healthy person. But, I've found that keeping busy also helps to keep my body from stiffening up. So, exercise benefits both my body & my brain.

How are you guys doing today?
(( Hugs ))
I read a great book a bit over a month ago on depression. It went through some natural ways to fight depression to include - light therapy, fish oil supplements, exercise as well as tools to slow down or stop those "ruminations" or thoughts that we can have issues with when being depressed. I try to incorporate as many of the suggestions from the book into my daily routine. Is each day perfect? No. But, it's much better when I incorporate those items.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:07 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Hey Sizzle, it's great to see ya!
I just started taking fish oil supplements this wk lol. What's the name of that book? I'd be interested in reading it.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:28 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  

I've been meaning to tell you guys to go ahead & read the sticky at the top of the forum pg entitled "Emotional Memory Management." I've been here for 3/4 of a yr now & haven't just recently started to read it ( don't wait that long to read it lol. )

It's really informative! Talks about about how our memory has 2 parts . The memory itself & our emotional response to that memory. And how it takes 90-120 seconds for the emotion of a memory to emerge. So, if a bad memory comes to mind, it's possible to change our emotional response by thinking of a happy memory.
It's a pretty long sticky ( I've read parts 1 & 2 so far ) but I definitely recommend reading it. I've long believed in the power of positive thinking, without knowing why lol.
Have a great day everyone!
Old 12-09-2015, 10:53 AM
  # 234 (permalink)  

Hey Sizzle, it's great to see ya!
I just started taking fish oil supplements this wk lol. What's the name of that book? I'd be interested in reading it.
The book is: The Depression Cure: The 6-Step Program to Beat Depression without Drugs Paperback – June 1, 2010

by Stephen S. Ilardi (Author)
Old 12-09-2015, 11:52 AM
  # 235 (permalink)  

Ty Sizzle! I'll look it up!
Old 12-09-2015, 12:02 PM
  # 236 (permalink)  

Hi KZ, Sizzle and Patricia!
Just stopping by to say hello to you all! You all have an interesting thread!
Old 12-09-2015, 12:03 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  

Hey guys, how are you all feeling?

My depression is starting to lift. I've battled depression my entire life. 11yrs ago, my doc put me on Zoloft & it works pretty well for me. I still get down from time to time, but nothing deliberating like in the early yrs.

Someone I know died from a heroin overdose this past wk., so I'm sure that's why I felt so melancholy lately.

I hope you guys doing okay. (( Hugs ))
I had the genetic test performed a few weeks ago. The only med that showed up in the "red" category was Paxil. In the "yellow" category, Celexa, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, etc. were present. Under "green" was Prozac and several others.

The test basically just directed my doc on which drugs would be more effective for me, as well as those that could cause more impact / issues - thus, the "red" category meds.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:28 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cleaninLI View Post
Hi KZ, Sizzle and Patricia!
Just stopping by to say hello to you all! You all have an interesting thread!
Thank you. There really is no magic cure for anxiety and possibly the sufferers of depression. However, there are some good tips that can be followed to live a more peaceful life and that alone, is a big relief for many of us sufferers.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:04 PM
  # 239 (permalink)  

Hey all,Sizzle I don't know if that test is widely used? I've never heard of it until reading here,I do think that exercise and other healthy habits help a lot,weirdly fish oil makes me feel depressed! I've read that it has to do with something in the brain that's already too high,can't remember what it was,I get omegas from a protein shake I drink anyways,gloomy day in Vegas,no sun all day,hope everyone is having a nice day😊
Old 12-09-2015, 02:23 PM
  # 240 (permalink)  

Hi Clean, thx for popping in. I miss posting w/everyday, but I know you're working now.

Sizzle, I hope that genetic test would becomes standard, because the system of trial & error really sucks.

Winslow, it's gray & dismal here in Michigan too. Ugh! My hubs & I are thinking about getting a tanning membership so we can at least get some artificial light lol.

Have a great night everyone!