Notices

Social anxiety

Old 09-20-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Social anxiety

Hi
I started class today and I was all ready to go this morning and I drove to school. I watched people walk in and I just felt paralyzed with fear. I haven't been in school for around three years so that made me extremely nervous. On top of that I can get very nervous and shy/quiet in front of large crowds or people I don't know. I was terrified of sweating or blushing or just going blank in front of people. I have class tommrow morning,then not again till next week. I called the school and left a message for the teacher. Now Im double nervous for tommrow but I'm forcing myself to go into the class tommrow because nothing will ever change if I keep on doing the same thing. There are much worse things then blushing and getting nervous if that does happen tomorrow. I know I'll be really proud of myself if I go into the class. I just wanted to vent/see if anyone has any advice.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello, I know how you feel about your anxiety, I've been having major breakdowns my whole life, when i was in high school it got to the point where my anxiety would keep me out of school for days, sometimes a whole week, I've learned how to cope with it, what helps me is a good nights rest, when you wake up do some exercises/meditation, if you have a pool take a few laps around it, do you're best to stay away from caffeine or large amounts of sugar. Before you go to class eat a banana, the potassium in bananas help out alot with anxiety. When you get to class and you start feeling anxious go to the restroom and wash your face with cold water and take deep breaths in through your nose and out of your mouth, do this a few times and it will help. Remember, its 100% in your head it's all mental. Everything will be fine. Sorry if this is a bit of a cluster but this is my first time using a forum. Hope this all works out fine for you. Good luck!
Old 09-20-2014, 09:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Hi Getting Better - I am working in a book that was recommended by a counselor called "The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook" by Edmond Bourne (available at Amazon) & there is a section specifically for Social Anxiety. I have been using he deep breathing technique to help me with my social anxiety. As JM suggested....If you can do that first thing in the morning before getting started with your day, it seems to help. Has been helping me. I'm also using positive affirmations, which really help a lot. Maybe something such as...."I am confident & at ease" repeated 5 or 6 times before you head to class.