Notices

Driving and the Oral Surgeon? PANIC

Old 09-11-2014, 04:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Driving and the Oral Surgeon? PANIC

All I can say is that I am absolutely terrified. Hopefully someone on this forum knows...

I have extreme anxiety, am agoraphobic, and scared to death of the dentist.

Many people don't understand what it's like when this takes over and totally controls your life. Please don't say "just get over it". I have heard that so many times, and believe me, if I could, I would.

I am in therapy. Have been for years. This is just something I can't get my head around or control. I am doing the self talk, breathing, trying to rationalize this fear and other things I have been learning in CBT. Maybe I am just going crazy....

I have been sober 16 days today. Of course I am thinking that just a couple of drinks would calm me down so I can actually do this. That is not an option, but oh how I wish it could be right now. I have done the self medicating routine for over 20 years...it doesn't help.

I have to get this tooth pulled. I have put this off time and time again. It hurts.

Help?
Old 09-11-2014, 04:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it really helps to find the right dentist. I'm not fan of the dentist either but at least now it's not a terror filled thing for me.

It's also important to remember that dentistry is not as painful as it used to be...the pain involved is generally way less than the tooth problem you're suffering

I really hope all goes well Luper

D
Old 09-11-2014, 05:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Luper, I sure can relate. Please make sure you let your Dentist know how you're feeling. I often find my fear is worse than the actual procedure.

Lots of things they can do to calm your nerves. Sending you mega hugs.

You can do this!!
Old 09-11-2014, 05:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Luper, I understand your fear, my wife is terrified by the dentist and she's avoided them for years. Over the past few months she's gone at least 6 times to get several crowns, root canals, and other work done and her fear has lessened much. Agreed, there have been so many advancements in dentistry that it's relatively pain free and they're very concerned for your comfort.

In sobriety I've started taking care of my health rather than washing away any concerns with my drug of choice. Doctors and dentists are part of my recovery routine too.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all. I am still debating on just cancelling.....

I don't know if it's the fear of leaving my house, driving into the city, or the stupid tooth pulling. A combination I guess. I hate living in fear.

Stupid anxiety...........
Old 10-28-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Luper,

How'd it work out? I just found your post... Thanks for sharing.

I have an appointment with an endodontist tomorrow to either have a tooth pulled or to do an apicoectomy.

And I'm very anxious
Old 10-29-2014, 02:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Really hope your appointment went well!! I survived... lol!

Terrified for sure, but the staff was just amazing and so understanding.

Please let me know how it went. It's NOT fun to have such a fear, I know.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Appointment went very well.

I'm still numb, so I can't comment on the pain, but Dr did a 3rd (!) root canal treatment on the tooth. He wants to try that before the surgery option.

I feel a LOT better! Thanks for the kind words of encouragement!
Old 11-03-2014, 02:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had the same problem. Ask for an anxiety sedative? And make sure to talk to the dentist about your fears. Having the right dentist helps a lot! Anxiety and panic attacks suck but you are NOT alone. Drinking helped mine for a few years but now it has the opposite effect! Glad you did it and that it went well - hopefully that will give you a boost of confidence!!!