Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Mental Health Issues > Anxiety Disorders
Reload this Page >

Is it normal for new PAWS symptoms to emerge over time?

Notices

Old 09-03-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So, the last week or so I was actually doing pretty good dealing with PAWS. No panic attacks, just a lot of anxiety. Monday I woke up with a panic attack, but it quickly subsided and I had a really good day. Yesterday was about the same until about 6pm or so when I started to feel like my body was trembling from the inside. This made me really anxious, but I decided to wait it out.

Surprisingly, I did get to sleep and the trembling eventually stopped. But, now Im having distracting heart palpitations that I havent had before. Im no longer focused on my breathing, just focused on my heart rate. Its really distracting!! Im approaching two months of complete sobriety and have had ups and downs, but none this distracting. Could my symptoms be peaking? Is this the worst of it? When does it get better? Its really, really difficult to be in my own skin right now. And, Im normally a very optimistic and cheery person, but this just has me downright upset.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

PAWS can crop up suddenly after withdrawals have subsided, even months afterwards, making it seen like things are getting worse rather than better, it's due to your central nervous system continuing to adjust!!

Have you been to see a Dr? just to make sure you stay safe!!
Old 09-03-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am now 6 weeks sober and my main symptoms all this time have been panic attacks, anxiety and exhaustion. The panic and anxiety have reduced significantly the past week so I only have a couple attacks each day. What is new is heart palpitations and I hope this is continuing as PAWS in a newer version. I can only imagine the damage done that needs lots of time to heal.
Old 09-06-2014, 01:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would definitely get checked for those heart irregularities you could be developing something that the substance abuse has postponed I'm trying to quit drinking after years of it and I've developed these twitches that don't seem to be going away.
Old 09-06-2014, 01:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think a Dr could elevate your feelings by finding out if they are, reassurance can be a great help!
Does your Dr know your quitting?
John.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey im back again I forgot something if its been 2 mo then its prolly not PAWS maybe you damaged your nervous system like I did or "just" your psychological system maybe seek therapy befor it gets worse and developes into something serious like a personality disorder good luck God Bless