Notices

Panic Disorder, PAWS, or what... Help!

Old 08-23-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Panic Disorder, PAWS, or what... Help!

Hi everyone,

First-time poster. Ive come here in search of help. Im trying to find the answers to questions that nobody seems to. Anyone with even a shred of insight would be incredibly helpful right now.

Back in 2008, I smoked a joint (Which wasnt uncommon for me) and suffered my first panic attack. I survived the night and didnt think much of it the next day. A few months later I smoked another and had another panic attack. It seemed to be a recurring issue. After the 2nd time, I didnt feel the same. I was constantly aware of my breathing pattern and felt off. But, I kept going to school and didnt think into it too much.

About a week later I woke up in the middle of the night with a terrible stomachache. I purged everything from my stomach and suffered my first panic attack without the use of marijuana. My world was turned upside down and I was scared. After a two week bout with agoraphobia, I made my way to the doctors office at my school and got a prescription for Clonazepam. She told me it can be addictive, and gave me a small dose. After the first pill I felt like myself again! It was amazing. I got a few more doses before I eventually decided to stop medication and just continued on with my life.

It took about four months to recover, but I was back to myself. Life was really good! I finished school with superb grades, made lots of friends, and I was in a really good place.

Towards the end of 2012, it had been YEARS since my last panic attack. I was travelling, finishing a new program in school, and even working! Since it had been so long, and I figured that I was in the clear for panic attacks, I decided to try drinking again. It was never a problem in the past! I got drunk that first night and had a lot of fun. No panic attacks. It just felt great to finally participate in something that I always had to turn down because I was afraid of getting back there.

So, over the course of the next year and a bit I began drinking more and more. It was pretty much only on weekends for the LONGEST time. But, with drinking, my tolerance grew. I could suddenly drink two bottles of wine and still be standing. Then I turned to hard alcohol in December 2013. Still only drinking on the occasional weekend though.

Eventually my partner invited a friend over and they were celebrating the finish of their semester and were drinking on a weeknight. They encouraged me to participate. I did so and was perfectly fine the next day. But, I started to think that that was OK. I could still get to work and function perfectly fine. About three months later I was now drinking every weekend and every Thursday or so.

In May of this year, I started to drink nightly. And my because my tolerance was high, I could handle a lot of the stuff. At the end of May, after a night of hard drinking, I was extremely hungover and dehydrated. My partner, best friend and I, went walking around and I suffered my first panic attack in years. It instantly led me to become agoraphobic. But, this wasnt my first time dealing with this and I knew what I had to do to get over it.

I instantly quit drinking alcohol (Thinking that may be the cause), and went to a doctors office to get a prescription for Clonazepam. As this helped me out before, surely it would help this time around. I ended up back at work for three weeks, FORCING myself through the anxiety that kept getting worse and worse, despite the pills that I was taking. When this all started, I was able to feel calm at home. Then I started to get anxious at home, too.

Finally I had my first panic attack at home and I instantly became agoraphobic. My panic attacks were so severe that Ive become unable to leave the house outside of appointments. I was still using Clonazepam, but not as frequently. I had quit taking them consistently after my three week period at work.

A few weeks later I started feeling better. I was very calm and relaxed. I had visited my mothers place and was beginning to feel relaxed again. The following weekend I was home alone and woke up to the biggest panic attack I have ever experienced. It was so bad I didnt even know it was a panic attack. For the first time, my panic attacks caused me to be short of breath. I thought I was dying. I eventually recovered and took some Clonazepam and got to sleep. But, when I woke up the next morning I wasnt the same. I was shaking a lot and was scared to do anything for fear of bringing on another attack. So, I took two more pills. It ended up calming down when my partner returned home.

Over the next few days I began to feel really off, like something wasnt right. I was now focusing on my breath again, found it really hard to focus, and would sometimes slip into this dark pit of despair that I found it hard to get out of. I thought this may be from the medication, as I was also vomiting daily and could not keep any food down. Eventually insomnia occured and I was no longer sleeping.

In the following weeks leading up to today, Ive had good days and bad days. Im now starting to eat solid foods, and Im finally able to sleep (Between 7-8 hours usually). I havent had a panic attack in about 5 days, but I still dont feel like myself. I get bouts of dizziness or light-headedness, I have EXTREME anxiety and cant handle any stress, and I sometimes feel like Im losing my mind.

This had never happened the first time I went through all of this and my panic attacks were not that severe. I have no idea what Im experiencing. My psychiatrist says its just anxiety and to take an SSRI, but when I tried using Cipralex (Lexapro), it gave me the worst reaction ever. Ive been prescribed another, but Im afraid to use it. I feel lost, confused, and Im relying on my partner to do everything for me.

I also started CBT in hopes that it can help me deal with my anxiety, but none of the excercises seem to be helpful.

Im just hoping that someone out there has had a similar experience to me and can tell me that this does all get better. Im incredibly depressed and dont know what to do. I have no idea if this is just a waiting game or I have to start getting my life together somehow. I just want to feel normal again. Ive never been a depressed person before all this started. I had low self-esteem issues, but I really had nothing to complain about. I excelled at my job and I have a really strong support system through family and friends. My relationship is stellar! (Somehow, through all of this, my partner remains strong that I will get through this. I am SO blessed in that regard). Im hoping for a miracle. =(

EDIT:

I just wanted to also note what Ive done as of late to get better:

- I quit drinking caffienated beverages. I only drink water, milk, and tea. Ive done so since this all started pretty much.
- I only eat healthy things (Salad, fruit smoothies, eggs, whole wheat products, etc...)
- Ive lost 40lbs (Combination of constant vomiting and eating right when I can).
Old 08-25-2014, 10:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi! I can't give you a definitive answer but I have suffered similarly!

I also got my first panic attack while I was in High School smoking weed! It was horrible! I tried weed a few years later and the same thing happened again!

I had a few panic attacks here n there throughout the years after but there was a huge grace period where I had no issues at all.

My drinking career began while I was fresh out of High School and have drank up until 5 months ago, I'm 34 now. My panic and anxiety reappeared a few years ago and I'm pretty sure the intensity of those attacks had something to do with the alcohol! Usually the day after I binge drinked I would have the worst panic attacks sometimes, I would feel this impending sense of doom, my mind would feel foggy and I would be highly irritable! Anything that would normally **** me off or make me sad sent me in a downward spiral of thoughts until I finally broke out in a full blown anxiety attack! It didn't happen everytime, I just needed the right triggers! Silly me though, I never really connected the dots to alcohol before so I continued drinking away. I got the most terrifying panic attack the day after my last drink. It was horrible! It felt like waves of terror was going through my body, sounds scared me, like you I was short of breath, my heart and mind was racing like crazy! I was ready to check myself into the hospital at that time, I didn't but I went to see my doctor the following day. She told me that the attacks are in fact related to alcohol and that I needed to stop! She didn't want to prescribe me any anxiety meds because she believes that I would get addicted to them. Weeks later I still got panic and serious anxiety bouts so I did as much research as I could and that's how I found out about PAWS! I needed some other confirmation because I was still asking my self the same question u asked in this forum. My attacks became more spaced apart but the intensity was the same until I finally joined AA about two months in to sobriety. I felt immediate relief after talking to others who had similar issues as ours.

I still got anxiety with much less intensity as the weeks went by in AA but simply going to meetings gave me relief but it wasn't until I started the steps did the anxiety start making real changes!

Here's the thing that might be confusing. From my experience thus far I think my way of thinking all these years made me more susceptible to getting anxiety. I've always put a huge amount of pressure on myself to be someone great, I've always compared myself to others, I'm also a perfectionist. Traits like those are already
a bad recipe! From my research it seems as though alcohol can really mess up a persons neurochemistry. I'm not a scientist or doctor but I think I can safely assume that I have been going through my regular rumination and negative thinking but the alcohol made it waaaay easier for me to go into panic mode with super intensity! Other drugs may have similar effects but I'm not sure. Some times I would get anxiety for no reason, that seemed to be more of a dietary issue though as I don't have that problem anymore as long as I'm eating my daily nutritional requirements. My sponsor told me that it might be up to a year before my neurochemistry starts to get back to normal but it really depends on the individual! It might be earlier or later for u. I haven't tried CBT but working the steps in AA has helped me tremendously get to the root of my problematic thinking and I can't thank the folks there enough!!!!

I can go on n on but i think I've made my point. I know what you're going through and how horrible it can be but at 5 months sober now I can surely tell you it does get better! I still get anxiety somewhat but I can snap out of it much faster than ever and I feel so mentally free!! I haven't been on this site long but if you need to talk feel free to send me a message!

I hope my story helps!
Old 08-25-2014, 10:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you thank you thank you!!! You have NO idea how happy I am to finally have someone post on this! Its so nice to see the similarities and that we can get better and that it will all go away.

Im currently approaching Month 3 of sobriety. Funny thing is, I didnt even know it was the alcohol that could have done this to me. I quit drinking after the panic attack and started to make serious life changes right away because I didnt want it to effect my life more than it already had.

Maybe you felt the same way, but...this time around it feels different to me. During my first time with panic attacks I felt perfectly fine in between attacks. It was only the first two weeks where I didnt know what was wrong with me that I was incredibly anxious.

Now Im constantly in a state of anxiety from the moment I wake up and until I go to bed. Sometimes I get windows where I feel 85% back to normal, but something still feels off. Im not having panic attacks all the time (Last panic attack was a week ago) but Im just so overcome with anxiety. And I have nothing to stress about! Im covered for disability with work, I have a great support system in place, and right now my full-time job is to focus on getting better.

I am taking steps to get my life back together. Im proactively seeing a psychologist to help, and Im trying not to rely on and crutches (medicine) so that I can deal with the anxiety that I feel I lost the ability to handle.

Its SO relieving to know that it does get better. Thank you SO much, Ryan!
Old 08-28-2014, 10:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can relate to these feelings, overwhelming fear and worry. It affects me everyday and tarnishes my quality of life.
However, I have always been a worrier and have struggled with anxiety for as long as I can remember. I developed a stomach ulcer in 2nd grade and the doctor said it was likely induced by stress. Although my grades were great I would fret at night over schoolwork and become really upset if I got a B. I had and still have terrible social anxiety.
Flash forward to high school: I try weed and alcohol. Guess who no longer worries about schoolwork?! And drinking was like a magic potion that made my social anxiety disappear!
Well I'm 33 now and up until recently I've used alcohol in times of stress (and for fun of course).The temporary relief I got from the anxiety came with a price...more anxiety AND super panic attacks. That's one of the main reasons I decided I need to stop.
It's only been 7 weeks since I last drank (I say only but really that's a long time for me), but I can say without a doubt that I do not freak out nearly as bad. Yeah I have irrational thoughts and fears and maybe I always will, but I don't become absolutely terrified. Sometimes, in the days after a night of drinking I would be too scared to even drive.
I'd like to give up caffeine as well because I have extreme difficulties sleeping,but I don't think I can. At least not right now.

One thing that is helping me that you might try, is start spending time on doing something that is special to you. I love making art and music but hadn't devoted much time at all to it for years. Recently however, I have been drawing and practicing the piano nearly every day. It has been like therapy and helps build my confidence. Maybe you could pick a skill or interest that is unique to you and enhance it. Or try something new. It's easy for our minds to go down a rabbit hole of negative thoughts, so it's good to distract it with something creative.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can relate to your experience with panic after drinking. I'm 6 weeks sober and just went on medical leave after taking holidays and it wasn't enough time to feel well enough to go back to work. May I ask if you have been off work for 3 months and how has your panic/anxiety improved over that time? I feel like I really need to connect with others who have similar experiences. Thanks.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Newpathway View Post
I can relate to your experience with panic after drinking. I'm 6 weeks sober and just went on medical leave after taking holidays and it wasn't enough time to feel well enough to go back to work. May I ask if you have been off work for 3 months and how has your panic/anxiety improved over that time? I feel like I really need to connect with others who have similar experiences. Thanks.
Well, the truth is...its been all over the place. My reasoning though is that I wasnt honest with my doctor and didnt mention alcohol. So I was prescribed Clonazepam which works on the same neurotransmitters as Alcohol does. So, I was taking these medications not thinking that I was prolonging the effects of alcohol.

After my last massive panic attack, I stopped using the Clonazepam. So, its been just under one month of complete sobriety from anything. Since then Ive had ups and downs. One week I was vomiting profusely and couldnt stomach anything other than yogurt or smoothies. The 2nd week I felt OK and was able to get to my psychiatrist appointment. The third week I felt REALLY good and was finally feeling like it was coming under my control. And last week was even better! I got out of the apartment for an hour to see my psychologist. I was smiling the whole way and was only anxious while waiting to see the psychologist. Afterwords I came home and had a great day

So, I have good days and bad days! Last Friday night (Lol, the song just popped into my head as I typed that) I actually felt like myself. And I hadnt had a panic attack in a week and a half. But, then come Monday I had a panic attack. It actually settled down and I felt really good! But, the last three days Ive been a total wreck. However, I only imagine this is because my body is actually starting the repair process now.

On Tuesday night I had terrible vibrations going through my body from the inside. I was panicky, but eventually went to sleep and they went away. I had skin crawling sensations all day yesterday. And today I just feel extremely exhausted (Probobly from the anxiety). My anxiety manifests a lot in my breathing patterns and today Im not overly focused on it which is nice. So, to say its been a completely awful would be a lie. In the last month I have had some bad times, times where I felt like I was going insane and needed to be institutionalized, and fun times! If I can have fun amidst all the chaos, then there is definitely room for improvement.

I suppose I have to learn patience and just take it one day at a time (Although thats a challenge in itself because Im alone during the day and some days I dont have the energy to do anything!).
Old 09-07-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was born with those symptoms and im pretty much dysfunctional in society but at least im not hooked on prescription meds ive been in a psychiatrists office early in the morning waiting for a appointment and there was a bunch of people there that ran out of their meds, some of them were tripping out really bad when I saw that it sealed the deal for me im never going to be like that this one poor lady just sat there rocking back and forth crying she kept saying to me that she was just a little depressed all she needs is her meds and she'll ok she asked me to hold her hand so I did for about 20 min she almost broke my pinky finger good luck with yours ill pray for you God Bless.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was diagnosed with Panic Disorder, anxiety, depression, PTSD and possible BPD at age 16.
I never got on Meds - I used mind over matter to get through them before I discovered alcohol ...
Now that I think about it - I ate a weed brownie around age 15 and it sent he to the hospital - horrible experience - then I got a panic attack from smoking out of a bong ... Which was odd because weed had never given me anxiety before. I had to quit smoking after that.
At any rate I became a bartender at 21 and noticed the alcohol helped with my anxiety and social awkwardness. I became outspoken and an extrovert. Obviously 9 years later the alcohol isn't working anymore... I get anxiety and physical symptoms after a night of too much - one that sent me to the ER a year ago. I've developed social anxiety and pretty much haven't left the house much in a year.
Have you considered seeing a doctor? It's possible you have given yourself an ulcer.
I would recommend taking a strong pro biotic - as well as lots of supplements. That can really help get your body back in balance. Maybe go see a massage therapist and an acupuncturist. Start taking a beginners yoga class! That really helped me before.
Take care of yourself and remember - your body and mind are much stronger than you know. Trust yourself to get through it. You will - you have no other option. Get determined and remember you're not alone!!!!