Notices

Introducing myself here

Old 07-21-2014, 12:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Introducing myself here

I've had GAD for 9 years. Most of that I've been ok with the meds (many years without) - tried therapies several times to no avail.

A few months ago (well, six) I started self medicating with alcohol. It would make me feel less anxious at the time but worse in the mornings.

This culminated the other week in a referral to the crisis mental health team. They have agreed with the GAD diagnosis and also diagnosed depression. They believe that is the reason I have been abusing alcohol.

I am now under the care of a psychiatrist ( not for the first time - as a teenager I had an eating disorder and was under psych care). I see her again tomorrow.

She believes that in a year I can be "free" of my GAD and depression. After nine years I struggle to believe that is possible.

Meds have been doubled, have a psych care worker and I'm off work. My anxiety has never got me to this point before. Weird thing is I feel better than I have done in a long time!

No point to this post, just introducing myself on this forum.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just to add I have also previously suffered with agoraphobia, PTSD and post natal depression. I'm sure my medical records could stretch for miles
Old 07-22-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by Needinghelp82 View Post
No point to this post, just introducing myself on this forum.
I'm glad you've decided to join us in this forum, and I hope you find some commonalities with our other members. It sounds like you've got some work ahead of you with the psychiatrist, keep us updated on the results, OK?
Old 07-22-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. You will find lots of support here. Keep posting and let us know how you are doing. We care.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glad you are here, amigo.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello - I have ADHD and have been self medicating with alcohol about 10 yrs ago I suffered seriously from agoraphobia because I was mixing marijuana with my alcohol it was terrible I couldn't leave my mothers apartment for about 3 yrs, mental disorder runs in my family so she was very understanding (thank God)
Old 08-20-2014, 10:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

Hope you're doing better now. Marijuana was so bad for my anxiety and I didn't realize it. Giving it up was best thing I ever did.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had my first panic attack after smoking marijuana. Thought I was going crazy and then got panic attacks thereafter believing I was. I used alcohol to medicate it but only making it worse! I can be my worse enemy at times!