Notices

Taming your AV: the "Anxiety Voice"

Old 06-25-2014, 06:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Taming your AV: the "Anxiety Voice"

Anxiety is a lot like our alcoholic "AV" - it has a separate voice that attacks you when you are at your most vulnerable. I am trying to remember this as I prepare for a month abroad. I leave on Tuesday and my voice has been quacking this morning. I think a solution is to get rational. Instead of indulging your AV and letting it get you worked up, it helps me to slow down. Take on each one of these ridiculous hand-wringing questions with strong, honest answers. Here's some of the things I'm hearing from my "Anxiety Voice" this morning, along with my reasoned responses:

1. What if you can't find a reliable place to stay?
Give me a break. I have a hotel booked already and I lived in this city for 3 months last summer. I know plenty of places to stay.

2. You might be bringing too much stuff! Are you overpacked?
Who cares?

3. What if you get sick?
I will go to a doctor.

4. What if the Internet doesn't work properly and you can't work remotely? You'll surely be fired!
I cleared the trip with my work months ago. I have worked remotely from several different locations all over the USA with no problems and this should be no different. This is our "slow season" at the office and I know I will be able to do what's asked of me.

5. WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH YOUR LIFE????
This is the kicker. This is the question that usually throws me into a spiral when I start to become overwhelmed with anxiety. This is my AV's trump card, and can be used at any time and usually knocks me on the floor.

The answer: I am doing what I want with my life. I enjoy traveling and experiencing new cultures. I have been to Central America over 15 times and have friends there. I like the change of scenery. I speak Spanish and enjoy practicing the language. And the view's not bad either. This is a picture I took last summer. I will be living in this town for a month: http://picsurge.com/g/g0sMbh

What's wrong with that?

Does anyone else have an "AV" that tries to attack you like this? What are your solutions?
Old 06-26-2014, 05:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
4. What if the Internet doesn't work properly and you can't work remotely? You'll surely be fired!
I cleared the trip with my work months ago. I have worked remotely from several different locations all over the USA with no problems and this should be no different. This is our "slow season" at the office and I know I will be able to do what's asked of me.
That one gets me every time, and I'm even self-employed. My fear is that I'll lose my clientele if I'm not around to work. I've learned that my cell phone is usually enough to keep me in touch with clients, I can always get a signal if necessary. I also bring along a tablet for emergency emails.

After 4 years of vacations I haven't lost any customers. People are understanding and of course it's just my anxiety driving me to stinking thinking. We're leaving this weekend for a week of camping. The campground is 4 miles away from a town, cellular service shouldn't be a problem and we'll also be in National Parks if I need to return any calls. I'm looking forward to relaxing and fishing!
Old 06-26-2014, 07:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great point Astro, I'm glad you are in the same boat and also have come to the same realization!

I also a contract worker online and rely on the Internet for my livelihood. I've lost power a few times, but my cell phone can usually take care of me for a few hours in case of emergency. There are cafes nearby as well and we can always do business from a separate wifi connection if we're desperate.

That said: how many complaints from clients or employers have we ever had about the issue? Likely zero!

I am bringing 2 laptops with me to Guatemala just in case one malfunctions. AND if that goes bust, I'm pretty sure they sell laptops in Guatemala! I have Internet service on my phone as well.

You sound prepared as well. I'm glad you're being realistic about this. Your work has proven you're capable of getting the job done. Let's wipe this nagging fear off of our list together!

Enjoy your vacation, relax, and catch some big fish!
Old 06-27-2014, 06:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
That said: how many complaints from clients or employers have we ever had about the issue? Likely zero!
It's taken me a while to realize that if I do get a complaint like that from a client, it's probably time to lose them as a customer and replace them with someone who is respectful and appreciative!
Old 09-06-2014, 04:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Not being connected to work emails used to worry me a lot. Although, the worst moment was reconnecting or checking my mails on a Monday morning, worried about finding dozens of missed 'EMERGENCY' emails from clients that I didn't catch (even though my manager made it clear that she doesn't want her team to check work mails on weekends, bless her).

I've recently started a new job in childcare which opens a whole new playing field for my AV.

Kid falls and has a scratch on his knee - what if it gets infected and he dies and it's my fault?
Used an iron over lunch which wasn't completely cooled down when I left the apartment - what if it starts a fire and the whole place burns down and it's my fault?

...the list goes on. the last one was only yesterday and I was only able to really relax in the evening when I knew the family would be back at home and I hadn't received a text or email about any fires.

I actually had to repeat to myself during the afternoon that the place was not going to burn down because of SCIENCE! (iron not touching anything that could catch fire and temperature decreasing)

Old 09-06-2014, 07:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Yes, Big, I do have this voice. I call it my Fear Voice. Just as with my AV I don't engage anymore though. I just recognize it and either ignore it or give it a curt "you're dumb" and then move on.

My FV has been around way longer than my AV. My FV has been with me from my earliest memories. I used to think it was just who I was, but I found out it's not.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have anxiety also and hear more than one voice most are jerks they call me names like ****hole and say things that should discourage me but after awhile dealing with this its really kinda humorous sometimes when im doing my cardio work on my bike I can here voices in the cars that drive by almost like they are opening their minds to me, but im kinda a weirdo because my Severe ADHD. Ill pray for you God Bless