Notices

Alternative to Benzos?

Old 03-25-2014, 11:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alternative to Benzos?

I was addicted to opiates for at least four years. I have been fairly clean from opiates for the last year but am still having a lot of problems with anxiety. Has anybody had any success with treating anxiety without benzos. Honestly, I think I can handle taking them but most doctors will not prescribe them to an addict.

I have tried several in the past. I was actually prescribed Klonapin for 2 years prior to my opiate addiction. I thought they were very helpful. After that I've been put on everything. The antidepressant I stuck with is Zoloft. But for anxiety I have tried buspar, vistaril, abilify, and many others. I didn't really notice any difference between taking them or not. But a lot of my trials with these drugs occurred when using. When I first became clean last year I was put on Trileptal which seemed to help but also made me very groggy. I was only on it for like two weeks though so my body wasn't able to adjust. I know there are a lot of medications that are benzos that are prescribed for anxiety but I'm just curious to see what people have tried that actually works. Thanks.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
totfit

Running has probably been the only thing that has kept me sane. Exercise and a good diet have helped me more than anything. Anything else and I feel dull. I tried Lexapro and it worked for a while, but then just kind of made me feel "lifeless". Benzo's helped a bit, but again I felt "dull". It has been more than hinted at that I might be bipolar, but I still hesitate on the meds and depend on the exercise. That has worked better than anything for me to keep my life manageable.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What worked for me was a more relaxed approach to life .

First book I read "how to stop worrying and start living "

It changed my life .

I have a rx for klonopin and Xanax for anxiety , they expire almost all the time before I take them . The pescriptions on file expire at the drug store too .
Old 05-01-2014, 08:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with rigorous exercise and healthy food. Easy on the caffeine and sugar and carbohydrates, heavy on protein and vegetables.

Totfit's post could have been written by me except I use different forms of exercise - running throws my back into misery.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Diet. Exercise. Meditation. Therapy.

It's hard at first but the best way is the natural way.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I wish I knew the answer - I also was on zoloft for depression, and was briefly prescribed a couple other medications 2 years ago. Like you, I was drinking heavily throughout the process. It's hard when your only experience with medication is based on a life that included heavy alcohol abuse. As someone who still suffers anxiety in the sober world, I also have questions. Luckily I have a dr. appointment next week, maybe you should get one also? I am sure a professional knows best.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Zoloft was a life saver to me , it absolutely stopped attacks
COLD
Old 05-11-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Non-addictive meds exist which can eliminate anxiety.

I concur with the vast benefits of exercise and diet, irrespective of whether one is afflicted with depression, anxiety, insomnia, alcoholism, addiction, etc.

But a fair amount of anxiety results from brain chemistry and there are chemicals, which aren't addictive, that can bring the brain's chemistry into balance.

I also ask God for help with everything and have been trying to work the 12 steps for a few 24 hours.

Take care, amigo, and keep us posted.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The Benzo"s are bad ,for some people .

Habit forming .

They are a life saver for me at times .
Old 05-15-2014, 02:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Bike riding, meditation and making art! These three things bring me joy in life even if the anxiety is still there a bit, it doesn't bug me the way it used to if I just make sure I do these three things!
I used to take Zoloft also and it worked, but it did make me feel dull and blocked off, so now, even if I don't feel like riding to work I do it because I know it's that or Zoloft!
"Know thyself"!!
Old 05-16-2014, 07:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Is there someone you trust that could hold them for you? I'm a recovering addict, and when I need a prescription, my parents dispense it to me (I've also abused benzo's I should add).

I used to think I absolutely needed benzo's, but I find as long as I exercise, and I talk to someone I trust about the crazy thoughts I'm harboring in my mind, it works well for me.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am on Lexapro. It's a long-term anti-depressant and anti-anxiety med, without any of the addictive issues of drugs like Klonipin, Xanax, etc.

Honestly, when I went to the doctor a few weeks ago I was hoping they'd prescribe Klonipin. Well - my "addictive voice" was hoping, anyway. You see, I'm an alcoholic and an addict, and that's how it goes. I fought myself tooth and nail to be truthful. Luckily, I was honest about my problems with addiction and the doctor didn't think that was the right decision.

I know you might think you can handle benzos and you are probably dying inside for relief. I feel the same way sometimes. But try playing the tape all the way through. Do the right thing and see your doctor about some long-term meds that don't have addictive qualities. I feel for you, anxiety sucks and it can be a real bear. Good luck!
Old 05-23-2014, 08:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Low blood sugar ,cannot be overstated in anxiety treatment .

Caffine is poison to those of us with anxiety . its likely the worst .
Old 05-30-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I get anxiety too. I have been on lots of various psychiatric drugs over the years. I feel like none helped my anxiety. I was given a benzo for panic attacks. Really not good since I was still drinking heavily. Now its been a while and I stupidly started taking it regularly for sleep. Now I am just taking one a day but need a doctor to tell me how to get off it safely. it does nothing for me anymore anyways.

Actually though, all my drinking really probably made most of the medications I tried not work well.

When I think back though, I used to do meditation and that helped. also used to exercise a lot and that helped both anxiety and insomnia. I do think doing natural remedies like those are best. I have never been able to find a pill that really helped. I currently have a lot of anxiety and need to do something differently myself soon.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Zoloft (Sertraline) is a very problematic drug.
If one decides to abruptly discontinue it, you
will go through withdrawal symptoms that
will make alcohol withdrawal look like a
picnic. HELL ON EARTH! You must slowly
taper down. I had to start taking it again
and am having nearly the same symptoms.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi

I have battled anxiety and panic for a few years

My psychologist got me taking natural supplements

I was absolutely amazed at how well they work

I take 5gm of Inositol a day
2400mg of NAC
Magnesium
Vitamin D
Vitamin C

You can buy these all online on natural supplement shops

The inositol helps really well to keep my mind calm

Good luck
Old 08-27-2014, 10:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Iquit992-
I have been abusing klonopin along with heavy drinking for years. Finally solved that problem in March. Hardest thing I have ever done. Now day 26 booze free. Can you give 411 on Inositol at your convenience.
Thanks for posting this!
Gonna have to check out Tyson book. Grew up watching him and huge fight fan.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi sober808

All I can say is It has worked for me very well.

Even after I binge on alcohol and drugs (which I am trying to stop) and I am anxious as **** the next day I up my dose to around 7gm and it works really well

I can't post links because I haven't had 15 posts yet however google 'inositol anxiety'

It seems a lot of people have had positive experiences using it as a natural alternative.

All I know it's a B vitamin ..and it was recommended to me by a clinical psych.

Cheers
Old 08-28-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you Iquit993...I really appreciate it man.
Aloha!
Old 08-28-2014, 11:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Check out GABA and L-Theanine. I use those, along with D,C, Magnesium and the Inositol, and NAC... as IQuit mentioned above.