Notices

Xanax withdrawal

Old 02-27-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Xanax withdrawal

I have suffered from anxiety and panic attacks for most of my adult life. My doctor prescribed xanax and I found it to be extremely effective. However, after being on it for almost 3 years, I came to the decision it was not sustainable and just not a good idea for me to continue with it.
I took my last xanax five days ago. I was taking .5 twice a day for a year and then .5 for a few months and finally just .25 once a day. I feel ok for the most part, but I have some trouble sleeping and feel extremely awkward around other people. Also easily irritated, some trouble concentrating and listlessness. There have been moments where my heart has felt like it would jump out of my chest.
Can anyone relate to my experience? Will this get easier?
Old 02-27-2014, 12:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Jewel!

I went c/t off 20mg of valium and 3-4 mg of ativan a day. I flipped out and did a rapid 2 week taper to .75 ativan. It was very rough but I made it. You were very wise to taper and your original dose wasn't very high. Everything eased up on me after 10-15 days but yours may be much sooner. Congrats on getting free. Benzos are the worst of the worst to stop IMHO. I was on them approx 8 years.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I took 4-6 mg of ativan for many many years.
I weaned down over a 3 month period from 6 to 2 in December.
Haphazardly weaned a bit more this year. Got PO'd at myself a
couple weeks ago regarding some things and just stopped.

I was very careful for the 1st week due to seizure risk and
did not drive till that window was gone. Family kept eye on me also.

Must say - I am very ok with out them in my system. Life is ...umm,
bit scary. NOt used to it being so IN.MY.FACE and my senses are really
really heightened. I swear, I can hear a snow flake fall 60 years away.
I wear sunglasses a lot and cover my ears with a hat when out.

Not feeling near as a intense anxiety feeling when something bothers me.
I leave the house easier.
Sleep is a issue and I know it gets better with time. I take otc stuff and make it through. I deep breath and distract to cope with thoughts that come.

It's doable and you are doing it.

Congrats!
Old 02-27-2014, 01:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Haha, Lethe, I can relate. Your senses are so jacked up it's like you have supervillian powers for a little while.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

:-D
that IS the feeling, TiredEnough. I feel like I should have a cape, ya know? heh

Oh and YES, Jewel - it does definitely gets easier.
That said, if the chest papitations or any other withdrawal symtom (or anxiety) starts to increase or affect your ability to have a good quality of life, go see a doctor.

I know some people who've had a significantly harsh time and they did need some more help than I needed (so far/so good). I knew every option there was to help myself but I'd not of continued had things gone really bad. Listen to you body and mind but whatever you do....do not focus on it.

"whatever you choose to focus on becomes your world" <---wise words said by some wise soul. It stuck in my head.

I'm a big beleiver in distractions.

Cheers!
Lethe <---wearer of big hats, wrap around sunglasses and Vicks under the nose these days (helps with annoying smells)
Old 02-27-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, it will get easier!

I took a mega dose of klonapin - and at times xanax as well - for over 10 years. (I took 8mg of klonapin AND the xanax).

Now, I am on nothing. And I am ok. I am actually pretty good.

It has been about 6 weeks of no pills and no alcohol - and miraculously, I am good. I am focusing on getting exercise in and being more social - even if I have to force myself.

You can do this!
Old 02-28-2014, 04:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

just thinking about you Jewel and hoping you are doing ok.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
snapdragon1968

Congrats! Jewel on kick the pills. Unlike you I have to have them. I am 45 and have been taking xanax for 25 years. They keep me level on days when I feel like I cant breath. I have been on 3- 2mg. bars a day for years. Somedays are better than others where I dont have to take as much. But you do go through withdraws for about 6 days. Hot & Cold sweats, nasua, & diarrhea, it feels like your going to just die. But on that 7th day you do get clarity, in so many ways. I cant go to the movies my attacks are so bad, and Malls & grocery stores just about kill me when their are so many people there. Well this is my first post hope to hear from you. I wish you the best of luck.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was diagnosed with anxiety in 200 and for a year took 1 mg of xannax.

Same as you, I decided not to and the first couple weeks I did not want to go to work or see anyone, normal things that would not worry me bothered me.

Eventually this passed.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

well done!! im like snapdragon and some days can only function thanks to my diazepam.. but i try not to take them every day.. im on 20mg a day, but tend to skip days when i know i dont have anything stressful on or am feeling calm.

i found that i could self regulate quite well on the diazepam, ive never been offered xanax so wouldnt know if its different to valium?

i think its a matter of finding "your" comfort levels and then realising that sometimes just sitting it out/breathing through it all can get you over the bump in the road.

ive also found that selfhelp books on anxiety taught me some good coping mechanisms to get through social situations etc.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh absolutely!

My first panic attacks were horrid as many's are but over the years I have been able to gain a lot of control...same thing with my tornado phobia but with that one if I get put under a moderate warning by the SPC for twisters I am "off to the races" as I call it !
Old 04-11-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If I ever had to do the horrors of Xanax and psych med withdrawal again I would want to goto some beautiful place to just walk it off and not have alot of people around.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sick at home or some cold sterile clinical environment just makes it worse.