Notices

Anxiety & travel thoughts

Old 02-24-2014, 08:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety & travel thoughts

I always "push the envelope" before I travel - I'll line up houseguests to stay in my home while I'm gone, I'll wait to book my hotel until the last minute, I'll even work from my laptop right up until my flight is boarding, juggling cab rides and carry on bags with me on the way. Every task I finish is met by another.

Golly - why do I do this to myself? Pushing the envelope, making tight connections, trying to balance everything "just right". I think part of me takes pride in being able to work on such a tight schedule. But this is exactly why anxiety gets the best of me sometimes when I travel. Because I put such a heavy load on myself. I think in the future, I'll set up a more relaxing system for myself. And that should start with giving myself more time and space before big trips.

Anyone else have thoughts on managing anxiety when traveling?
Old 02-24-2014, 09:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I avoid flying or driving, and try to take the train.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Randummy

It's good to have a plan so that sounds like a wise decision for the future.

I am quite odd in my travel anxiety. For example, once a month I spend two hours each way going to see my family and then coming back home. It's two trains and really not a big deal, but it feels like it is. I have low-level anxiety the entire time until I'm back at my house and sometimes it manifests into a meltdown on the train home. And yet, I went to Paris for four days in December and I didn't have one meltdown! I went on tubes, the Eurostar, the metro...and I was totally fine.

I do wonder if it depends on who we're going to see when we travel, the environment and whether we know what to expect. I, personally breakdown every part of my journey to see my family. So I'll tell myself that I'm just going to the train station to get a cup of tea, and that's okay. Then I'll get my ticket and say that I'm just going to relax on the train till I get to my stop, then maybe I'll get off the train etc. I break every single part of it down and avoid thinking about it overall.

I always listen to music too, on the way to the station and the whole way through. I don't listen to metal when I'm feeling anxious, I just listen to mind-numbing pop and it works wonders. I also recommend keeping busy the entire time you're travelling. I take my knitting with me everywhere I go or I read a book. I would personally recommend doing something with your hands though.

I know that for me, the reason I panic going to see my family and not going overseas so much, is because of tension within my family, so I'm apprehensive about that.

Hope some of the tips work!
Old 02-25-2014, 08:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You like the chaos.

Prayer and meditation help me while travelling.
Especially crossing borders.
The Man always likes to eye-ball me, stare me down.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry….I don't think I can help here. I still set my alarm for 2am to get up and pack when I have a 6am flight. Drives my husband crazy, I think the worst showdowns we have had are in the driveway in the dark early morning hours. I usually have 2 suitcases he sees and then the secret 2 I smuggle in the car when he's not looking. At least I don't have to worry about which suitcase has the hidden wine bottles anymore..!
Old 02-27-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I too experience anxiety around travel, mine is different though, i plan and plan months ahead of time and then when it comes time to leave, i panic and cant. I do understand the issue of working under pressure and on a tight schedule, its something I also do, it creates chaos that allows me to feel good that I pulled it off, i know weird.