Notices

Does anyone know anything about therapy dogs?

Old 02-17-2014, 02:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does anyone know anything about therapy dogs?

I was thinking about getting a dog for my depression/anxiety and was wondering if anyone has had experience with this. If it would help me. I'm very responsible as far as taking care of things.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My dog was a therapy dog for autistic and severely handicapped children. I know people have dogs that go to psych wards and mental hospitals. I don't know about getting a dog donated to own.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My husband bought me a puppy to help with my depression, it helped so much, he is helpful to cheer up others too, just a cuddle sometimes helps, I taught him tricks & he's only small so doesn't need long walks but is a great companion anytime of da

Driving my wagon of hope through beautiful views on my road to myself
Old 02-19-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I think a pet helps a lot; doesn't have to be perfectly trained. I got a personality-plus kitten and just bonded with him right away although as he's got older he's not spending much time with me now (sob).
Old 02-19-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

kissimee54. Our 3 dogs have been very therapeutic. Even some volunteering has helped. The more I focus and put my energy into something such as volunteering and helping others the more the good carma comes around. Best of wishes to you.
Keep fighting
Old 04-01-2014, 08:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

We got a mutt from the shelter about 14 years ago when my brother was being diagnosed with Asperger's. We didn't train him or choose him for any other reason except that he looked darn cute. He never played fetch or was hyperactive, but he constantly would follow us around the house.

Since he passed a month ago, we've come to realize how much of a therapy dog he was. Anytime my brother would feel crazed or anxious, Sludge would magically be nosing the door open.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that I believe that animals help in general. I think therapy dogs are wonderful, but if you can't afford a trained one, sometimes just having a pet that you connect with is enough therapy in itself.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Read the book, "The Genius of Dogs". Dogs are genetically defined by their relationship with humans. More than any other animal, dogs, are in tune with your feelings. They are also a responsibility. Sure they will adapt to living with another person, but even years later they will remember you like it was yesterday.

Therapy dogs may be trained for various tasks, however, one of the prime qualities that makes a therapy dog therapeutic is their attentiveness. Dogs have different personalities and physical needs. It is good to match a dog to your needs. How much exercise, noise, obedience, and health issues are you ready to take on. There are sweet little lap dogs that are no trouble at all and the brilliant but energetic Rin Tin Tin. Cesar Millan's book, "Short Guide to a Happy Dog", has a chapter on choosing the right dog for you. Of coarse my sister will say her dog did not follow the book.