Notices

Started Celexa (Citalopram) and I Can't Sleep

Old 12-26-2013, 09:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Started Celexa (Citalopram) and I Can't Sleep

I went on Celexa a week ago and sleeping has been a brutal ever since. I've been taking it at night and I find that getting to sleep is hard and I can only sleep a few hours at a time. Every night I wake up several times and I'm up for at least an hour feeling anxious. The next day I'm wiped out, tired, but I still can't really sleep/nap. The next night it starts all over.

I'm going to start taking it in the morning instead, to see if that helps any.

I also have a call in to my doctor to see about a prescription for Trazodone, which had helped me in the past when I was dealing with Celexa/sleep issues.

Anyone else care to share their Celexa/sleep experiences? Not looking for advice, just trying to understand what others may have experienced.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Darn. Can someone move this to the Anxiety forum? Or is this the right place for this? Thanks.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Hi!

I hope you were able to speak with your health care provider about finding the right treatment. Let us know how you are doing.

I also put a request in, on your behalf, to have your thread moved to Anxiety.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

moved

D
Old 12-28-2013, 11:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Idiot!

Yes. Take it in the morning like you say. I went through the same thing and it did the trick for me.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HenryKrinkle View Post

I also have a call in to my doctor to see about a prescription for Trazodone, which had helped me in the past when I was dealing with Celexa/sleep issues.

Anyone else care to share their Celexa/sleep experiences? Not looking for advice, just trying to understand what others may have experienced.

I ended up on a load of pills when I was given new ones to deal with the side effects of previous ones. What happened to me and many people is this phenomenon of forgetting what it felt like before taking the pills, then confusing the withdrawal reactions with the original condition.

All psychiatric drugs have the potential to cause withdrawal reactions, including the antidepressants, stimulants, tranquilizers, antipsychotic drugs and 'mood stabilizers' such lithium. Often when an individual’s condition grows markedly worse within days or weeks of stopping a psychiatric drug, this is almost always due to a withdrawal reaction. However, misinformed doctors and misled parents, teachers and patients think that this is evidence that the individual 'needs' the drug even more, when in fact he or she needs time to recover from withdrawal effects.

Remember that information about these medications comes mostly from companies that are constantly facing class action lawsuits, federal lawsuits or both for not disclosing adverse findings in clinical trials, lying about known health risks, directly causing chemical injury and illegally marketing their most powerful and unpredictable drugs off label to children.

Just be careful.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

I was on Celexa, switched to Lexapro, but I didn't have sleep issues on either of them--I took them in the morning.

I've been off anti-anxiety meds since the summer; I still suffer from bouts of it, but I've been managing with regular exercise.

I do have a Rx for Trazadone as well for the occasional bouts of sleeplessness--I find it helps but don't have to take it too often.

How you doing?
Old 01-30-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ah on them and told to take them in am good luck