Notices

no more klonopin

Old 11-14-2013, 07:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

no more klonopin

Apparently doctors frown upon taking more than the prescribed dosage. Why they would give it to someone addicted to alcohol is the question. I'm just looking for a "feeling", and I found it. Hmmm... so I'm having it slowly taken away and replaced with Vistaril. Has anyone had any luck with that?
Old 11-29-2013, 01:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have no experience with Hydroxyzine, other than knowing it's an antihistamine and considered a good treatment for anxiety and has none of the addiction potential inherent in Klonopin.

And, yeah, klonopin is one wickedly addictive beast. What dosage were you on and is your doctor tapering you or just cutting you off?
Old 11-29-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was tapered off over the last two weeks. I was prescribed 25mg twice a day, but I had been taking it 4 to 5 times a day. A few days I took 6. When I first got off, I had a rough couple of days. I was so emotional! ! I don't know if it was coming off the klonopin or not. The vistiril seems to be working ok. I just liked being able to feel it working.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I assume you mean .25 milligrams, or a quarter of a milligram, so four to five times a day would equal a milligram or slightly more.

I'm glad you weathered the detox OK. I assume you weren't on it too long. I had a horrible 10-year experience with Klonopin and can attest that it indeed works until it doesn't.

Congrats on Oct. 18.

I must say that at three years sober, including three years off Klonopin, my panic and anxiety are manageable without medication.

Klonopin was very much part of my problem. I'm glad you avoided a monster that swallowed me whole.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I assume you mean .25 milligrams, or a quarter of a milligram, so four to five times a day would equal a milligram or slightly more.

I'm glad you weathered the detox OK. I assume you weren't on it too long. I had a horrible 10-year experience with Klonopin and can attest that it indeed works until it doesn't.

Congrats on Oct. 18.

I must say that at three years sober, including three years off Klonopin, my panic and anxiety are manageable without medication.

Klonopin was very much part of my problem. I'm glad you avoided a monster that swallowed me whole.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Vistatil did not help me. It merely settled my stomach. It didn't remove my anxiety.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm new to this section but I take 2 - 3mgs a day for panic and GAD. It doesn't make me crave anything. I actually think I'd be worse without it. Been on it 24yrs. Started only needing one mg a day so I feel pretty good about taking it. I am in a database so the medical community could yank it if I was bad. That scares me, so I don't mess around.

When Antidepressants were added all hell broke loose!
Old 12-10-2013, 08:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yea I agree I've never had an issue with klonopin. I have always been prescribed 3 mg a day and took maybe 1-2. Sadly I have no insurance right now so I'm going through all this raw- no help from meds like a lot of people have when they detox. I just had to cold turkey it. Yea it sucks. I see a good purpose for a mild med like klonopin in my life, my main need for it was kind of a "cure all" with my PTSD to avoid the myriad of crazy psych meds. Helps me with rage! Right now AA meeting and my higher power that I call God are my medicine.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have been on Klonopin .50 twice a day for 15 years as well as Luvox for my OCD. To think I used to drink and do 3 to 4 grams of coke every few days and then take my meds makes me so grateful to be alive. I was pretty suicidal at the time.

I'm currently only taking .25 klonopin twice a day and trying to taper off completely. I have a pill cutter I used before when I had gotten off klonopin all together. I reduced my dose by .25 every two weeks until I was at .25 once a day. At that point I stopped taking it unless I felt I needed it, and eventually not at all. Took a few months to get off the stuff. Ended up back on it after a nervous breakdown.

Now I'm back to the middle stage of tapering off.

Today I don't smoke tobacco, marijuana, use coke, alcohol, getting off Klonopin.

I'm grateful for today.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was prescribed 8 mg of klonapin a day for 10+ years...and at times Xanax xr on top of that.

Now that I am aware that my dose was ridiculously high, I am on nothing...and surviving

I took visteril for awhile. didn't work for me. But again, I was on a ridiculous dose of klonapin for a very long time. every single day.