Notices

Anxiety relief: any tips to share?

Old 06-09-2013, 12:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety relief: any tips to share?

I'm an alcoholic, and for years I used alcohol to curb and numb my anxiety. So much so, that I even went to job interviews/etc drunk near the end of my drinking days. Thankfully I'm over 11 months sober, and I've noticed my anxiety has DRASTICALLY been reduced. However, I still sometimes struggle with it.

Out of the blue this morning, I was taking a walk and became aware than an anxiety attack was approaching (those with experience know that once you're aware, it's coming, it's inevitable). I was able to stop, rest, relax and eventually I was fine. However, if this had happened at work, or somewhere far from a safe place, this could have been trouble.

So far I've found that these attacks most often creep up due to lack of sleep the night before. If I am not well-rested the chances of anxiety increase. Does anyone else have any tips or tricks to keep anxiety attacks at bay when they occur? And what about other tips to keep them from happening in the first place?
Old 06-09-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

I carry a homeopathic vial called Rescue Remedy. A few drops under the tongue and within minutes you will feel it lift. Also, I put a few drops in my water bottle if I am having an exceptionally difficult day. It's flower essences which, I know, is really woo woo, but hand to God, it works. For alcoholics it's a bit of a problem as the essences are suspended in an brandy. Which I know for many could be a trigger. I am fortunately, not one to get triggered by it as it is minimal, but I respect that some people may. It's a personal choice.

My thoughts are if it's between a drink, a Xanax or a full blown I can't breathe and I'm dying panic attack, I'll take the 4 drops.

Wishing you relief.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My anxiety attacks have occurred mainly in the early hours of the morning. There is little I can do to stop them happening as they tend to wake me. What calms me is getting up and walking...deep breathing and concentrating on each breath as I take it...gradually replacing negative thoughts with a positive image...and praying.
In the past few weeks, these attacks have lessened and I can attribute that to giving up smoking, taking up exercise and going to therapy to tackle the underlying issues.

I am also prescribed beta blockers although I haven't used them for a while.

They are no fun, you have my sympathies x
Old 07-07-2013, 06:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
I'm an alcoholic, and for years I used alcohol to curb and numb my anxiety. So much so, that I even went to job interviews/etc drunk near the end of my drinking days. Thankfully I'm over 11 months sober, and I've noticed my anxiety has DRASTICALLY been reduced. However, I still sometimes struggle with it.

Out of the blue this morning, I was taking a walk and became aware than an anxiety attack was approaching (those with experience know that once you're aware, it's coming, it's inevitable). I was able to stop, rest, relax and eventually I was fine. However, if this had happened at work, or somewhere far from a safe place, this could have been trouble.

So far I've found that these attacks most often creep up due to lack of sleep the night before. If I am not well-rested the chances of anxiety increase. Does anyone else have any tips or tricks to keep anxiety attacks at bay when they occur? And what about other tips to keep them from happening in the first place?
I ordered a product from amazon called Theanine Serene. It takes the edge off for me, at least to be able to function. My issue is a racing heart and it seems to help with that.
I also do a lot of fresh veggie and fruit juicing. I don't know if it helps the anxiety per se, but it does make me feel generally healthier.
Best of luck to you!
Old 07-14-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am such a weirdo... but here is what I've discovered works for me.

I suffer from seriously debilitating panic attacks, hypochondria and all other kinds of anxiety disorders.

I have found that methods that "soothe" don't work at all for me and actually make me freak out even more. When I'm panicking, I don't want soothing music, chamomile tea or a massage, etc.

I need something that is stronger than my anxiety...something that literally knocks me out of it. So, my super weird and natural method is when I'm having panic attacks, I'll coarsely dice a garlic clove and chew each piece. It makes my mouth burn and my eyes tear... but I swear it works!! Yes, I may smell like garlic, but I don't care. It totally works.

Or, tablespoons of habanero sauce work in the same way.

Super spicy food actually helps the body release endorphins, no joke
Old 07-14-2013, 01:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My husband and i both started using our treadmill 3 to 4 times a week. Walking or running for 45 minutes really helped us both with our overall stress reduction.

I don't think I've ever had a panic attack but I've heard they can be pretty scary.

Sorry you're going thru this.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Try Gaba supplements. It really works for me.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
Try Gaba supplements. It really works for me.
What dosage of GABA do you take if I may ask?
Old 07-14-2013, 03:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This is what I've found to help, and in order of effectiveness:

*regular exercise
*cutting way back on caffeine (2-3 cups coffee at the most)
*deep breathing exercises
*meditation
*playing piano jazz lightly in the background while working on computer
*GABA, Happy Camper, Niacin, Magnesium powder, Valerian, Tryptophan powder
Old 07-14-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Had intermittent panic attacks all of my life.

For hyper ventilation breathing into a paper bag can help.

For palpitations 'paradoxical intention' may help. You purposely encourage your heart to beat faster; the revese may happen.

Always wise to check out with doctors.....................but beware if they offer you benzos.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
This is what I've found to help, and in order of effectiveness:

*regular exercise
*cutting way back on caffeine (2-3 cups coffee at the most)
*deep breathing exercises
*meditation
*playing piano jazz lightly in the background while working on computer
*GABA, Happy Camper, Niacin, Magnesium powder, Valerian, Tryptophan powder

Sounds like a pretty good regime Jennie.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Murchovski View Post
Sounds like a pretty good regime Jennie.
Thanks Yeah I was determined to nip the anxiety in the bud. Back in the day, in my early 20's I had panic attacks and some major anxiety so I learned over the years some tips and tricks. The alcohol kinda was a major setback though
Old 07-14-2013, 05:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing Jennie. I think that's the biggest hurdle in my newfound sobriety. I am panicking at the thought of panic haha.
I had such violent anxiety, that's the reason I was ever prescribed xanax to begin with.
I see now though that I only have the same problems as everyone else, I just need to find the tools to deal with them.
I appreciate your ideas.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Katt1825 View Post
Thanks for sharing Jennie. I think that's the biggest hurdle in my newfound sobriety. I am panicking at the thought of panic haha.
I had such violent anxiety, that's the reason I was ever prescribed xanax to begin with.
I see now though that I only have the same problems as everyone else, I just need to find the tools to deal with them.
I appreciate your ideas.
Yeah, I think that's what sets apart panic disorders from average anxiety... the FEAR of the fear That's when it sort of gets out of hand.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi

I have used EFT with amazing results. EFTstands for Emotional Freedom Techniques. There are some excellent YouTube videos on diff techniques.

when you change the way you see things, the things you see change!
Old 07-14-2013, 06:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Whitefeathers, I absolutely love your cure! nothing more natural than that.

I used to really suffer from them, until I studied them, and found them to be very common. I learned that it helped to tell myself that "It will pass", and that took the fear out of them for me. Fear brought them on. and once I did not fear them, they went away, for the most part.

good luck to you, lots of great ideas here.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I do this at night. I am working through PTSD and am doing well. Yet before I go to night...sometimes I become very anxious...Even though I am sober I get this overwhelming sense of dread before sleeping (which is also depression)

1. I lay down on the bed or couch whichever is most comfortable.
2. In my mind I ask myself do the police have any reason to bust down my door? NO.
3. Is my apartment safe? Have I locked the doors? Are the burners turned off?
4. I usually turn off my cell phones at night? If someone calls can it wait until morning?
5. Am I hungry? Well, eat if not.

and etc.

I also take control of my dreams or at least try to. Will they harm or kill me? NO. Can I wake up from them if they get too heavy? Yes.

I don't pray, but I always tell myself, barring a disaster, I will wake up to a new fresh sober day.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Also, sitting up straight, both feet flat on the ground, palms cupping your knees, and breathing and listening to your breath 10 times
Old 07-15-2013, 09:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Some great ideas here , I need to travel for business .

I avoid planes ;(
Old 07-15-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Actually, I use a technique very similar to WiscSober's whenever I start feeling the anxiety creeping up.

* Is anyone's life or health in danger?
* Will this matter to me or anyone else next week? Next year? Will people still be talking about this at my funeral (60+ years from now, of course)? ;-)
* Is there anything I can do to resolve the issue right now?

I'm pretty rational most of the time, so this usually calms me down. I also take Valerian Root pills at night and sometimes during the day. (Warning: They smell like a pig barn or something as equally nauseating, but there's no taste.)