Notices

Anxiety relief: any tips to share?

Old 07-17-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I do jumping jacks ,or run .

However thats impossible in a business setting .

My trigger is getting hemmed up ,to use a country term ,Rest of the time im calm as can be .
Old 07-21-2013, 08:07 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Does anyone else have any tips or tricks to keep anxiety attacks at bay when they occur? And what about other tips to keep them from happening in the first place?
I went to group therapy to address my anxiety disorder when I was in high school. I learned a lot--but here are two things that help:

1. When you feel you are getting an anxiety attack, IDENTIFY it AS an anxiety attack. Often i would identify my anxiety as a symptom of something scarier and it would spiral out of control. A friend of mine would even say (in her head, to the anxiety as though the anxiety was a person) "bring it on, anxiety!" She found that if she didn't FIGHT the anxiety, it almost never came on as badly--and that has worked for me at times too.

2. Wear a rubber band on your wrist, and snap it when you start to get "up in your head" with anxiety. Or you can throw some coins in your pocket and try to identify them by touch. Things like this can help to distract away from the anxious feelings.

Hope those help!
Old 07-21-2013, 10:09 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Jennie,

Can you get all of these items at a health food store? I too suffer from anxiety, panic attacks, etc. I'm taking Ativan right now but I still have the panic most days and ESPECIALLY in the AM when I wake up. I tried taking Omegas, but it ended up making me feel pretty awful. Sometimes I have to take an Ativan and go back to sleep before I can function. Still the panic is with me the entire day. I'm not an alcoholic, but recently broke up with my exabf 3 months ago (well technically he broke up with me after going on a binge and cheating on me...just to give some context for why my anxiety is heightened right now). Ugh...I hate mornings now that I'm alone again. My anxiety seems to be worse when I'm alone (working on that in therapy). Thanks...glad I found this part of the forum.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boon44 View Post
Jennie,

Can you get all of these items at a health food store?
I get all mine from Amazon. You probably could find this stuff at a health food store, GNC, and drugstores.

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 07-23-2013, 01:06 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Night owl

Thanks for some great tips everyone. I am going through withdrawals from getting off of my antidepressant and the anxiety has been crippling at times.

I did want to comment on a couple of the suggestions. The flower essence Rescue Remedy, which is amazing, can be put into some very hot water and let to sit for 5-10 minutes to allow the alcohol carrier to evaporate. There is also a cream available to use externally or you can even put a few drops in lotion and then rub it on. It will still work, it doesn't only have to be taken orally. Also, it works amazingly for animals, just put in their water or put drops on their ears.

With the herb Valerian, some people have a paradoxical reaction and it actually makes them stimulated and more anxious. I am one of them. So you might try it in a non-anxiety moment to see how you react.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

In the early days ,i used to have to have the anxeity attacks hit me out of the blue .

It was like being hit with a baseball bat .
Old 08-01-2013, 10:29 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

1500mg of L-Arginine and 1500mg of L-Lysine , once in the morning and one in the late afternoon helps tremendously with my anxiety. You can pick them up in any pharmacy.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Usual caveat.

I'd check with your Dr before trying any supplements. Whats worked for someone else may not work, or even be suitable, for you.

D
Old 08-05-2013, 06:14 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Originally Posted by wiscsober View Post
Also, sitting up straight, both feet flat on the ground, palms cupping your knees, and breathing and listening to your breath 10 times
Thanks for this. I tried it just now, as practice for when I have my next anxiety attack, and it relaxed me so much that the water that had gathered in my eyes from my lunchtime onion-chopping dropped down my face like tears, giving my eyes some much needed relief!
Old 08-05-2013, 06:23 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I'm trying these tips mentioned here, identify the feeling rather than letting it overwhelm, and bringing myself to reality, as best I can. The rubber band is helping to break the flow of the anxiety and I've collected a small, smooth rock
(seems to calm)
Old 12-25-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

has anyone had any success with Skull Cap, Ashwagandha
tea or PassionFlower teas ?
Old 12-25-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

anyone aware of a good site to learn trancsdental mediation techniques
Old 12-26-2013, 09:05 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

ah, panic attacks. for years i tries to bolt, but now i force myself to experience the sensations. i learned this trick in the hospital during a stay for a particularly nasty episode of obsessive compulsive disorder.

when the anxiety/panic hits i do all it takes to remain motionless and assess the situation:

- why am i so uneasy?
- did anything happen in the last couple days that i refused to deal with?
- what is the worst possible thing that can happen in this moment? if i have a heart attack i guess i will have to face that reality when i come to in the hospital. if i drop dead i supposed i won't need to worry about paying my rent this month.

your fear is a liar. your fear is bully. stand tall and eventually he will tire and sulk away.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:33 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I take GABA 500 mgs daily and regular exercise (nothing too intense)
In the past 6 months or so I've only had one onset of a panic attack. I was driving up state and became aware of the panic coming. I was able to get off the next exit and calm down. I finished the 3 hour road trip and the drive back was enjoyable.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:18 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhiteFeathers View Post
I am such a weirdo... but here is what I've discovered works for me.

I suffer from seriously debilitating panic attacks, hypochondria and all other kinds of anxiety disorders.

I have found that methods that "soothe" don't work at all for me and actually make me freak out even more. When I'm panicking, I don't want soothing music, chamomile tea or a massage, etc.

I need something that is stronger than my anxiety...something that literally knocks me out of it. So, my super weird and natural method is when I'm having panic attacks, I'll coarsely dice a garlic clove and chew each piece. It makes my mouth burn and my eyes tear... but I swear it works!! Yes, I may smell like garlic, but I don't care. It totally works.

Or, tablespoons of habanero sauce work in the same way.

Super spicy food actually helps the body release endorphins, no joke
Awesome idea! I cant wait to try it! Well not really, but you know what I mean.