Notices

Motivation

Old 05-11-2013, 07:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Motivation

Good morning to all~

I am not sure if this is the correct place for this or not but this is the closest place on here that fits/describes what I am going through. I am a recovering alcoholic and have been sober for over a year now if you do not count last July 23rd when I drank when I went on my last date. Anyhow, I do suffer from depression and anxiety too. Alhough the depression has subsided since I have quit drinking.

Here is my problem and I am wondering if anyone else on this entire site has gone through this at one point or another. Since I have gotten sober, I have increasing become somewhat of a hermit. I only leave to go do stuff like grocery shopping and to go to work. I feel fine with these things because I have to do them. I do not have any hobbies or friends. Everyone who was any type of a friend all drink. It is extremely hard to meet people who do not drink at all. I have yet to meet anyone like this anyhow.

I have so many things that I want and would love to do but I just cannot seem to make myself do them. It is not like I do not have any energy but just no motivation whatsoever. It is as if since I do not have to do them I don't do them although I want to. I feel like nobody understands me. A lot of people tell me to attend AA meetings and that I will meet some incredible people just like me at those meetings. However, I cannot get up the motivation to actually go to one. However, I want to. Can anyone relate to what I am getting at here?

If you have felt this same exact way. Please tell me what has helped you. It is obvious that I am in a rut that is getting worse. I almost feel like it is going to have to take someone to come into my house, take me by the hand and walk me out the door. Force me to get out. I know that if I did that most likely I would be happy that I did do SOMETHING.. ANYTHING... I also have a lot of filing and stuff that I need to get done around the house but have yet to do any of it either. UGH! It drives me nuts because I just do not know what to do about this craziness that I know cannot be normal.

At first I thought that I just needed time and then everything would fall into place at the right time but now I do not think so. Any suggestions? If this is posted in the incorrect place and you know of a better place to where I may get more responses, please let me know... Thank you all in advance. I appreciate anything that you have to offer.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi SummertimeHigh5.i hope your situation has improved. i know this thread is over a month old, but i can totally relate. although our circumstances are different...what you described, i've been experiencing for years. i attribute my drinking partly to this kind of thinking. i hope you are doing better with this issue, and if you are please post and let me know what you are doing to overcome.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Alcoholism had turned me into a hermit of sorts. When I was drinking heavily, I KNEW I wasn't good company, so I turned off my phone, turned down social obligations, stopped going to the gym and so forth.

After I sobered up, that's when I noticed the near complete isolation. I turned to therapy. My therapist recommended doing different meetup groups to rediscover old interests and gain new ones. I attended toast masters, hiking groups, sober outtings etc. I also posted on Craigslist for activity partners.

Anyway, I now have a life. I go to the theatre, have two lovely dogs that I take to dog parks, go line dancing with one of my meeting groups, attend drumming circles and have made new friends.

I am new here and don't know if I can PM yet but if you are still reading and want to PM me, feel free.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can relate. Its probably less about "motivation" and more about getting out of your comfort zone if you are normally a shy type. Its worth it though to meet more people. It took me about 4 mtgs in before I actually started talking to people.