Notices

Didn't ever think I had anxiety

Old 04-26-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
New beginnings are the best!

Didn't ever think I had anxiety

I spend most of my time here on the alcohol forums, being an alcoholic myself. But today I came to the real realization that I struggle with anxiety on a daily basis. Sometimes we think it's just who we are, I guess. "I'm just shy, sensitive, worrisome, easily depressed, etc.", I would say to myself. I had some blood work done to test my liver enzymes this afternoon, and the results were called into me only moments ago. The doctor said a lot of what I may be suffering from is all anxiety induced. Shortness of breath, sharp chest pains, heart palpitations, and so on. I'm the kind of person that ignores symptoms and just takes life with a grain of salt. I don't like medicine and I don't like feeding into symptoms of illness, fearing it will only worsen.

Anxiety is hard when it holds you back from pursuing all of life that you want to. Socially, especially. Just wanting to be free, but trapped by your fears.

I live with a lot of fear. The world feels very dreadful most days, and being positive is something I have to work really hard at. But I trust that while working toward sobriety, perhaps some of the anxiety will fade along with it. In the long run, at least. When first going sober, my anxiety only heightens.

Other than medication, has anyone learned any natural techniques to handle anxiety?
Old 04-26-2013, 07:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Keep at it, it gets easier. I love feeling what I feel these days, even when it's scary. I'd rather feel alive and afraid than emotionally numb and detached from using. Thanks for your post.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hmmm.... Natural techniques. Well, for me, watching some of my favorite tv shows, reading books, and crafts work for me. So does exercise. I think everyone has their list of go-to hobbies that help take the edge off. Sometimes you have to find it through trail and error.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thankis for sharing. I am all to familiar with anxiety/OCD... I was always a very shy kid and as a 2nd grader wet my pants in class. I think that was such a traumatic thing that set my n Jett in motion. First real panic attack was while getting tutored in high school. Horrifying experience. There are so many others now its unbelievable.
For a Lonb time I was able to manage my anxiety. In some ways alcohol seemed to help in the forefront. Now that I've been sober since January I can see the alcohol fog clear and its more obvious to me now just how bad it is.
Last Saturday I had an anxiety attack that lasted into late Sunday. I can't live like this anymore.
I used to be able to coach myself thought them but it seems they are stronger now. I so feel more depressed when it happens too. I think it's time I speak to my dr about a rx to help.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ivegotsunshine View Post
I think it's time I speak to my dr about a rx to help.
Yes it does sound like it may be time. Good for you for coming to that realization!!

Be patient - it may take a lot of trial and error before they find the right medicine and dosage that works for you. For years, I tried everything. Some didn't work and some had unpleasant side effects for me. Now I am on one that really works for me but it took awhile.

In the meantime, it may not be a bad idea to get some therapy. It really helped me to manage my symptoms on the occasional bad day or bad patch that I still go through.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks soltraveler. I've managed an array of attacks and symptoms on my own in the past. Alcohol did a good job of shielding things for me. That is job longer a form of therapy for me lol!! Better living through science, right? Lol or is it chemistry?
Old 04-30-2013, 07:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh yeah! Thinking back I always had anxiety but it was usually kept at bay in most situations....til it really flared up several weeks ago!
Old 05-01-2013, 05:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If I start feeling anxious for some generalized reason, I found it helpful to focus on something outside of myself. For example, if I'm on a bus, and I start having a thought that triggers anxiety, I might count the number of people walking outside, look at the clouds and pay full attention to lots of visual details(or use another one of my senses in other cases), put my full attention on the scenery 100%. I know it sounds silly, but putting my full attention on external things(even if they are minor) like that doesn't give me any room to continue to focus on my anxiety provoking thoughts.