Blogs

Notices

Been dealing with Anxiety for 6 years

Old 12-30-2012, 10:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Been dealing with Anxiety for 6 years

as the title says, i was struck with a panic and anxiety disorder 6 years ago and thats what made me start to drink heavy, i lost contact with all my friends and i hardly go out at all, i live next to a asda and i really struggle just to shop there, earlier this year i had 11 days off the alcohol and at home i started to feel great but my anxiety when i tried to go out was through the roof, i think its something im stuck with as i had it before the drink, even though ive had years of it and have been to countless help sessions i still struggle to cope with it, seeming im quitting alcohol i guess im asking if anyone has found any good ways to cope.

Thanks
Old 01-03-2013, 11:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've been sober almost 2 years, and was just recently kicked in the face with out of the blue anxiety. It came from no where, and I'm still a bit confused of why it showed up NOW!

Anyways I attribute it to me never learning to fully deal with day to day stress since I quit drinking. When I got sober, that's all I did... I simply got sober... Nothing more. I am now being blindsided by anxiety because of that. What I failed to do in my soberity change how I think. This is one thing I think is very important. It's absolutely not an easy thing to do, but it's something we HAVE to do in order to remain sober. We simply can't stop drinking and think the world will all of a sudden get better. The truth is alcohol was our cure all, and we took it away (for good reasons of course). I truly believe we need to replace it with something, and for me (and many others) that something is spiritual. I recently just wrote a huge thing about this very topic a few days ago. You can click my name here and look at the topics I started. It's called "I need a spiritual experience" I'm not preaching in it, but simply explain where I think I messed up in my road to recovery.

On top of that, I too have been looking for natural medicines to help diminish anxiety. I've been taking high does of niacin, and it seems to help me. I recommend you do some research before embarking down that path though. I also have a forum thread about this as well. You may want to take a look at it. I linked a few radio interviews about niacin treatment that may assist you in understanding its principle with anxiety.

Stay strong my friend! Anxiety is freaking he'll on wheels! It makes you feel like NOT YOU, and and I know how much it can cripple someone. I too am in the same boat. Working on better days though!

-Ryan
Old 02-15-2013, 07:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had my first panic attack 12 years ago when I was 23. I was just relaxing on the couch watching tv when it came from nowhere and I called my Mom freaking out on the verge of calling an ambulance thinking I was having a heart attack. I still to this day have NO idea why I get them. I have been taking an anti-depressant every day for the past 13 years. Changed about 4 times throughout the years. For so many years I never did anything about it as I was well into my drinking career. As my drinking progressed so did my panic attacks. Mainly in my car alone on the freeway. I have been sober now for 2 1/2 years. Within the last 2 1/2 years they have decreased to almost non-existant. I have moments that I feel like I am going to have one but it does not develop into one very often. Maybe 2-3 a year now. I am finally putting 100% into my program and one thing that I am finding through others experiences are sharing and getting out emotions instead of letting them fester inside. I am a stuffer not a talker. Currently working on that. I have recently found a counselor that I am starting to try to find if there is a connection at all. I haven't been able to find a medical doctor that can explain anything to me. Not sure if this helps at all but it's my experience. As RyanRed said it's hell on wheels... Couldn't have said it any better than that last line. Yes it is. Hang in there! We are all in the same boat! Nice to know we are not alone! =)