Notices

Vitamin therapy!!

Old 12-22-2012, 07:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Vitamin therapy!!

Anyone every tried this for Anxiety? I keep hearing complex-b, complex-b, COMPLEX-B! I take a Generic multivitamin everyday, but thinking about stopping that, and taking some complex-b. Or maybe both? Also, I heard Niacin is SUPER SUPER great for depression. Well Depression and Anxiety are semi linked, I was going to try taking a bunch of Niacin a day as well.

Heres where I got the idea:
How to Take Niacin -Vitamin B3- for Depression and Anxiety

and then the direct link to the video:
Natural Treatment for Depression Explained - Naicin B3 - Food Matters - YouTube

Ive watched this movie before, but was watching it this morning to go over it again to try and dig up any tips for anxiety. I think I may have found it with the above info. Can't say for sure, but its worth a shot.

So have any of you ever tired this before? I know Bill W. supposedly cured his depression with Niacin.

Thoughts?

-Ryan
Old 12-22-2012, 09:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
GAD

I have tried a lot of vitamins for panic/anxiety, but not these. For me, they all work the same. They (valerian root, melatonin, chamomile, etc) produced a very subtle feeling of brain fog. It was like I was trying to be relaxed but my body wouldn't let me. Some times, my body panicked because it felt the vitamins altering my mental state. As you know, the work comes from within. But if something natural can help, go for it. Shoot, I will. I'm looking that niacin right now!
Old 12-22-2012, 09:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I always recommend seeing your Dr before embarking on new supplements.

I'm not familiar with this treatment... but vitamins are not risk free - especially at high doses - and sometimes they can interact with other medicines you might be taking.

Niacin overdose: What are the symptoms? - MayoClinic.com

D
Old 12-28-2012, 11:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Large doses of anything are not a good idea. For example, it is easy to overdose on Vitamin D, and there is some indication of harmful effects.

Multi-vitamins don't give you much B vitamins; also, multi-vitamins are possibly associated with an increased risk of prostate cancer. I take the following supplements, mostly purchased from that big-box chain based in Kirkland, WA:
  • Vitamin B complex
  • Vitamin D once a week during the winter
  • Saw Palmetto
  • Fish Oil
  • Joint Pain medicine (chondroitin and glucosamine)
  • Vitamin C complex

I also take low doses of two prescribed psychiatric medicines. We have melatonin as a sleep aid, but insomnia, panic, and anxiety are all diminished now that I'm sober.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'd just go see a Doctor if I were you and ask them for their professional opinion.

If you're so inclined, you could also go see a naturopathic 'Doctor' as well.

Personally, I tried various internet suggestions regarding vitamins / supplements for my OCD.

I wasted my money, time and still suffered terribly from OCD. My OCD finally became manageable after I received treatment from a medical Doctor.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I take a multi vitamin and calcium (it's a girl thing lol).

Also a daily diet redbull....loaded with B12 and other good stuff

I have klonopin for anxiety and panic.....have used it thru the holidays but need far less now than when I first started on it. Some days I don't need it at all.

Good luck with your research.....knowledge is priceless.

Peace,
Mo
Old 12-30-2012, 09:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I tried to edit but my time expired. Just wanted to recommend the green, conference approved book: Pass It On if you haven't already read it. There is a lot of info about Bill W.'s experience with depression, recovery and spirituality. He tried many things. Lois loved him thru it all. Where would we be without them? *shiver*
Old 12-31-2012, 10:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Pass It On is a good book--one of the several that have guided me in my recovery. Bill W. was easily taken by fads--like LSD. Speaking of street drugs--anyone know anything about "Vitamin K" or ketamine? I have heard it might have beneficial psychiatric uses.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am going to look into vitamin therapy, thanks. Might be something right up my alley
Old 01-01-2013, 01:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Night owl

A Naturopathic Doctor is a great resource for information on working with natural substances for healing. They study at Medical schools and for as long as MDs do. They learn about pharmaceutical drugs but also study how to help heal underlying causes rather than just suppress the symptoms like so many MDs unfortunately still do.

Some day all doctors will be required to study nutrition, herbal medicine, etc. In the meantime there are Naturopaths available. Though as with any other profession, there are good one and bad ones. I'd be going to one but can't afford it. But if you can, have insurance, it's worth looking into, imo.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh Lyoness, I would love it if that day came and all doctors were required to study health and natural 'alternatives' as well. I was studying to be a naturopath once, I love all that stuff. We treated our kids whooping cough with vitamin c mega dosing. Amazing.

Anyway. Rambling again off topic! I was just going to say....I dream of finding a multi modal doctor, it would be awesome
Old 01-03-2013, 11:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey all!

Here's an update on my journey with vitamin therapy.

I started taking niacin, but in small amounts at first. 500-1000mgs a day. I've only been using time released niacin because that's all my local stores have to offer. I did however pick up some instant release niacin from amazon, and that should be showing up any day now. I'm current taking 3000mg a day, and feeling much much much better compared to 2 weeks ago when I wasn't taking it.

I've been scouring the Internet from forums, to medical journals, to anything I can get my hands on about the benefits of niacin (vitamin b3). There is some amazing results, and some jaw dropping testimonies out there. I'm not here to say this the answer for everyone, but it's helping me tremendously. I also take 1 vitamin b-complex at every meal. I will also start to match my intake of niacin with vitamin c as well.

All signs point to good people! To early to fully tell, but I do feel amazely better compared to 2 weeks ago.

Here's a link that may open you eyes to the benefits of niacin. I highly recommend you do your own research though. I highly highly highly recommend you listening to this full interview about it.

Here's the link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ru6...e_gdata_player

I'll keep you all updated!

-Ryan
Old 02-13-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Holland & Barrett

''Niacinamide is almost always safe to take in amounts of 1,000 mg per day or less, though rare liver problems have occurred at amounts in excess of 1,000 mg per day. Niacin, in amounts as low as 50–100 mg, may cause flushing, headache, and stomachache in some people. Doctors sometimes prescribe very high amounts of niacin (as much as 3,000 mg per day or more) for certain health problems. These large amounts can cause liver damage, diabetes, gastritis, damage to eyes, and elevated blood levels of uric acid (which can cause gout). Symptoms caused by niacin supplements, such as flushing, have been reduced with sustained-release (also called ‘time-release’) niacin products. However, sustained-release forms of niacin have caused significant liver toxicity in some cases and, rarely, liver failure.214, 215, 216, 217, 218 One partial time-release (intermediate-release) niacin product has demonstrated clinical efficacy without flushing, and also with much less of the liver function abnormalities typically associated with sustained-release niacin formulations.219 However, this form of niacin is available by prescription only. ''

I have stopped taking timed release B vits due to this info.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Rhodiola WORKS. It's the only thing that ever has for me. Less anxiety in situations and less anger, depression, etc. I'm even more talkative. Just thought I'd put that out there. I have an anxiety disorder and depression.