Notices

Panic Attacks and alcohol

Old 08-17-2012, 06:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Panic Attacks and alcohol

I was AMAZED at how my panic attacks all but disapeared after I quit drinking. I am just over 4 months sober and they get less and less and WAY less severe. I have stopped planes and jeopardized jobs because of severe panic attacks - worsened by drinking the previous night. If I would have known this I may have stopped drinking earlier. I was miserable. I take 1mg of Ativan every once in a while when I get anxiety at night. I have heard that alcoholics should avoibd benzos so I an very scared of them. I used to go through about 20 or so a month and now I use maybe 5 a month. I hope to throw them away eventually.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to know things are improveing for you...Welcome...
Old 08-18-2012, 04:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RoosterTom View Post
I was AMAZED at how my panic attacks all but disapeared after I quit drinking.
It is amazing. I drank away anxiety for 6 years only to find out after quitting the majority of the anxiety is gone and the alcohol was causing most of it.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How long did it take for the anxiety and panic attacks to go away?
I haven't drank for about 8 weeks now and it's starting to get worse, and I'm getting really agitated as well. I've been feeling sick the last few days and not eating that much so I'm not sure if that's making me feel worse?
Old 08-19-2012, 05:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey danielsan, Welcome aboard.

For me it took about 3 weeks for the attacks to go away. Understanding what it is, accepting it and not fearing it is what worked for me. Check out my post "I walked a mile for anxiety", Thats the day I really broke through and understood my anxiety.

A far as your "feeling sick" I can completely relate to that. I've noticed when I dont eat I start to feel more anxious. I believe the cause of that is the worry to begin with. I read somehwere that there are more nerve endings in our stomachs than anywhere else in our bodies. Worry will cause a stomach ache, the stomach ache makes me feel like I dont want to eat so I dont and I feel more anxious and depressed because my body isnt getting enough nutrients. Its a catch 22.

When I get like that I force myself to eat something small. Even if I just have half an apple, glass of milk, a slice of bread, really anything just to get something in my stomach. When my stomach feels better then I eat a full meal and I'm back on track again.

I havent completely cured my anxiety but I know I'm on the right track and it WILL completely go away with knowledge, understanding, exercise and diet. You have to believe you can end this anxiety and you will!!!

You can do this, the answers are there you just need to find them.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

danielsan,

Everyone is different with how long it takes their body to adjust. Just remember how long it took your body to get to the point that drinking gives you anxiety, it'll take some time to undo. Like the OP, I'm at 4 months and it keeps getting better and better. I have my days where I anxiety controls my life still, but as I stay sober there are more good days and less bad days.

Lack of food (low blood sugar) and lack of sleep are two things that I have found make my anxiety worse. I try to always keep a Gatorade around and as soon as I start to feel panic I take a few sips to raise my blood sugar. I usually start to feel better in a few minutes. Finding calming techniques that work for you will also be a huge help.

Sorry to hijack your thread Rooster Tom! I'm glad to hear your anxiety has subsided!
Old 08-19-2012, 10:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies.
Also sorry for the hijack as well, glad that you're feeling better RoosterTom, reading through this site gives me a bit of hope that it will get better eventually, just got to stick to staying healthy
Old 09-16-2012, 01:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Heavy drinking years ago caused my anxiety.

When I stopped it completely, the anxiety had gone.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Originally Posted by RoosterTom View Post
I was AMAZED at how my panic attacks all but disapeared after I quit drinking. I am just over 4 months sober and they get less and less and WAY less severe.
I am stunned to learn that alcohol and anxiety are closely related. The anxiety information I was given did not mention this. I wish I had known this twenty years ago.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mel12 View Post
I am stunned to learn that alcohol and anxiety are closely related. The anxiety information I was given did not mention this. I wish I had known this twenty years ago.
Yeah, I think it's called "substance abuse induced anxiety disorder." Alcohol isn't the only substance that causes it.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Originally Posted by Athena1 View Post
Yeah, I think it's called "substance abuse induced anxiety disorder." Alcohol isn't the only substance that causes it.
Thanks Athena for the most helpful information. I just spent time completing internet reading what I could find on "substance abuse induced anxiety disorder." If having that disorder means I must go to talk therapy, I suddenly think I am cured.

Mel